Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #1

I have HD receiver, Aquos HDTV and dealer installed Tracvision L3. What else do I need in order to get HD programming? Tracvision sells a unit called HDTV Converter but is that required?

Thanks.
David
05, Alpine
rockcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #2

I have HD receiver, Aquos HDTV and dealer installed Tracvision L3. What else do I need in order to get HD programming? Tracvision sells a unit called HDTV Converter but is that required?

Thanks.
David
05, Alpine
Old 07-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #3

If you have DTV you probably just need to subscribe to the HD package, 10.95 a month.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #4

We just purchased a new L3 in Perry, GA at the convention. We use Dish for a provider. I understood that this system is HD ready, however we would have to sign up for HD programing. HD necessitates the use of three satellites instead of 2. Perhaps some reprograming of the KVH sat controller is also necessary. I would like to know also.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #5

There may be another issue that prevents display of HD signals.

The AV wiring diagram sent from the factory for my new 04 (taking delivery in August) shows a single RCA jack connected to my 37" plasma.

In order to display HD, at least a 3 jack component video connection must be connected, fed from an HD reciever. And, enhanced definition from the DVD (which does support progressive scan display) requires it too.

I'll be re-configuring the whole A/V system on my coach. Having paid big bucks for the HDTV upgrade, I want it to display HD & ED, of course.

Looks like the Winegard switching unit is the "bottleneck" and does not support switching of 3 jack component video. In order to switch from/to various sources/TVs, the factory used "lesser" video connections on my 04.

I'll be using a Dishnet 6000 HD receiver. It doesn't need to "see" 3 satellites simultaneously, but it will require the dish to look at different satellites when changing from HD to non-HD channels. Question is whether that will be done automatically or manually. I'm guessing manual.

Don't know about the 05, but the factory should provide an A/V diagram upon request. My guess is they're using the same winegard switch.

Jim
Old 07-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #6

My connection is with S-video wire instead of RCA jacks which is correct for HD connection between the receiver and the TV. The factory switch is not used in my case.

My only thing is my home receivers are not HD and I'd hate to get HD service for all 4 (including the MH) HD and not use 3. I think I need to talk to Direct TV.

David
Old 07-20-2005, 12:47 AM   #7

Rockcj:

Your receiver and TV are different than the 04 I have, but my guess is WRV has wired it the same using a single S-Video connection either from the distribution block, reciever, or the VHS player......... none will work for HD reception. IF you are getting HD Reception, you can easily tell the difference,,, it's almost surreal.

In the case of the 04, WRV used RCA video cables pigtailed into an S-Vides adapter coming from the VHS. You will need three part Component Video (two part Audio cables to entertainment system) directly into the TV in order to receive HD reception. In the case of Dish Network that I use, the HD Broadcast is on satelite #110 ( limited programing), requiring switching back and forth manually between #119.
The only problem with using component cables directly to the TV is it will inhibit your ability to use other sources for playback. If you only plan on using the satelite and your DVD, this will work by running an S-Video from the DVD to the TV (most HD TV's only have one Component Video input), and by switching sources on the TV.

Two other components will help to complete the set up in order for everything to work like it should, and with only one remote control.
By using the RCA video out-puts on your receiver (leave the Component to the TV) buy a Signal Modulator (19.95 Frys Electronics, just down the hill from where you live.. set in on channel 3) the modulator has a coax out-put that you can now run directly to the signal distribution block in the MH. This will enable you to have the Satelite signal at any of the TV locations without using the VHS as the tuner.
Now the the next big thing is getting the Progressive Playback signal out of the DVD. The Progressive Playback feature increases your lines of resolutions approximately 25-30%..... again a very noticable improvement. Problem: Progressive playback also requires Three Part Component video cables, and you have only one input on yout TV. Available from smarthome.com or other sources (stock #7772 - 149.95, their retail outlet is down off of Dyer Road in Santa Ana) is a Component Video (3-part)Distribution Block that will allow you to have four sources to the TV. This system will automatically sense which signal is active and send it to the TV.

I went through all these same frustrations before finally just removing all the cables and starting over from scratch.
The nice thing is now, the Remote Controller (UHF) for the Dish Network 811 receiver will will operate the three different TV's,DVD,VHS, and the Entertainment System. I purchased two extra remotes, one for the bedroom, living room, and one for the basement TV. The UHF not being directional, will operate through walls

All this may sound a little complicated, but it really isn't that difficult to configure, and the results are well worth the effort.

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 AM   #8

Walt:

Thank you!! You solved the problem for the 04 very effectively.

Which dish are you using? (e.g. Kingdome?)
If it's in-motion, does it perform in motion OK?

Is the "switch" between satellites done on a panel or remote control?

And.... (sorry for the questions) Did you remove the VCR/Tuner and place the HD receiver in its place? Any "fitment" issues?

Thanks again.

Rock:

Walt's right, even the S-Video will not support HD.

But, there is some good news.

Ask the factory for the model numbers of all your components. Look up your specs to confirm the following:

I looked up specs for an Aquos and found no "commercial" display only models. You should have multiple (2 each) component video inputs, as opposed to one on our plasma. This should support outputs from the HD receiver and DVD and negates the need for a component video switch box (saves $150).

And, your Aquos probably has a tuner (unlike our plasma, which is a "commercial" display unit with no tuner). This negates the need for a signal modulator.

You cabling will be different, but should be simpler than what we have to do on the 04.

Jim
Old 07-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #9

Jim:

Sounds like you have set up a few Home Entertainment systems yourself. As I said, it really isn't all that difficult. With the Alpine, I found it easier just to start from scratch. Once realizing the way WRV had it cabled, and seeing that no way the HD or Progressive was going to work, I gave up trying to re-route things and tore the whole mess out.

Answers: and no problem in asking, I love to share what I have figured out.

Dish: King Dome, automatic stationery unit. Works fine and always is very quick in finding the satelites. It goes first to #110, then a quick one second push on the seek button (manual), it jumps to #119 I think the later models from Kingdome may have a dual LBN that would enable to get both without having to go through the manual switching process. Also, they have come up with a dome that is shorter in height.

Fitment Issues:

No, I left the VCR in it's original position, although I seldom ever use it. My -in-law's were visiting last summer for six months which gave me ample time to copy his 300 plus DVD library. Not sure about your receiver, but the Dish Network 811 will not fit on the right side (cabinet to shallow)without modifing the cabinet enclosure. You can check a previouse post of mine "04 Improvemnets Ideas", and there is a link to a photo album that has a picture of how I got the 811 to fit. Basically, you have to cut out a window in the top back area for the receiver to slide into. With the hole cut, it also easy to add an additional 115v outlet next to the existing one for the extra plugs necessary.

Actually, I like your idea much better. By removing the VCR, the receiver would fit nicely in the same cavity. And, you can throw away the A/B Switch, it has no function with the new configuration.

add on: If you enclose the HD Receiver, it will be necessary to get air circulation around the unit to keep it from over heating and shutting down. The LapTop Cooler I found works great, and it is only .75 inches thick.... see " 04 Improvement Ideas"
........ good luck

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #10

My 05 uses a DVI cable from the HD sat unit to the Aquos and AV cables to the tuner/amp. It was wired this way from the factory.

I did redo the coax and eliminate one AB switch. I used the MotoSat HD unit with the Nomad controller. I made new panels from refinished maple plywood. System works great.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #11

Walt,

Thanks again

Wayne,
That's great and thanks for the info!
Can't get any better than DVI. Good to see WRV keeps improving things, even the AV systems!

Rock,
appears 05 units got it right and took advantage of the latest HD connection. You should have an open DVI plug just waiting for a HD satellite connection. Much simpler.

Jim
Old 07-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #12

Walt, I may have to come and see you one day. Let me know when you have some time. I haven't toyed with home entertainments for a few years and need to get up to speed.

David
Old 07-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #13

David:

Would love to get together. We just happen to intend on staying in Cerritos this weekend, if you are available..... come on by. Maybe Jim ( I think he lives in Anaheim Hills also ) could pick you up on the back of his scooter and you could both come over.

We have been out and about every weekend for the past two months. This business of training to be a "gypsy" is a lot of work, but I love it. About the time we get good at it, I am calling it "quits" from working and hit the road for periods of three months at a time.

Next weekend we are going up to Paso Robles for the Mid-State Fair, looks like a lot of good Entertainment shows up for this Fair.

I think you may have my phone number from a previous email, if not let me know and I will forward directions.

Take care,

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 07-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #14

Walt, I sent you a PM.
Jim, If you are near me and you have time between 10 and 2 tomorrow, I'd love to come and pick you up and go see Walt. Send me a PM if you are intersted.
David