Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Zinom,

My 2001 did not have daytime running lights to start with. I tapped into a "igniiton" source behind the interior passenger side electrical access panel and added a low amperage fuse and ran a wire through the existing loom that feeds the headlights and driving lights. The LED "halo" lights come on whenever the ignition is on.

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
SDPilot,

While I think the shape of the front cap on a 98 & 99 is similar if not identical, the area where the headlights reside is shaped different. I would think that a bodyshop could make them fit, but it does not look like a bolt in application.....

Jeff
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SDPilot
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply - and the side by side photos. Would like to upgrade, but I think the cost might be prohibitive.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff:

That looks great! The ones I ordered are a bit different (LED strips and superbright LED turn signals).

Thanks for the mention on the daylights. Mine seem to be on sometimes and not, others. Not sure why. I really want them to be on while driving, but always forget to turn them off after arriving. One more thing to remember.....

Have you swapped your tail lights for LED's? Here are the ones I ordered (icpw):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ledt-502cr_big.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	7145  
Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
I already test mounted them, perfect. Look awesome, too. I need to add a brake run controller to each lamp's wiring to combine the turn signal with the brakes. I could not find LED's with the amber separated, but I really think the full Ruby Superbright LEDs look better, anyhow. It's the same lighting that Cadillac uses. Very nice (the lights, not necessarily the car).
Old 12-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
takepride,

Here are the lights I went with. I do like your LED lights, but these were about 1/3 the price and don't require the light adapter thing since they use separate bulbs for turn & brake like the originals. Unlike the originals, these have red lights for both turn & brake and they are significantly brighter than the old originals that I replaced

Jeff
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
takepride,

Here are the lights I went with. I do like your LED lights, but these were about 1/3 the price and don't require the light adapter thing since they use separate bulbs for turn & brake like the originals. Unlike the originals, these have red lights for both turn & brake and they are significantly brighter than the old originals that I replaced

Jeff

Are these easy to find Jeff?

takepride and Jeff:

Are you guys replacing the tail lights because they arn't functioning correctly...or because you need/want brighter lights?

Thanks...Stan
Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Stan,

I bought them on ebay.

00-06 EXCURSION/95-06 ECONOLINE E250 BLK TAIL LIGHTS - eBay (item 190477920510 end time Dec-13-10 13:45:35 PST)

My original lights were dull and did not light up bright. I took them apart and cleaned them up as best I could but they just did not look crisp and bright.

The new ones look great and a little more modern. (imho)

Jeff
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #23

takepride, refuse1,

When you replaced your headlights, did the night time driving visibility improve over the OEM WRV factory lights? I'm aware of the various aiming and broken adjustment issues with the OEM WRV factory lights, but I would like to totally replace them IF the aiming and driving visibility were to markedly improve. What do you say about this?
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

When we bought our coach, the original headlights were in bad shape. The lenses were yellowed and foggy and the adjustment screws were broken . I guess I really don't know how the original headlights would have worked if they were in good shape and properly adjusted. I have read in this forum that many Alpines might have come from the factory with the headlight assemblies mounted at a less that idea angle.

The new headlights that I bought are a projector type lens and they work excellent. I did need to spend a little time when I installed them getting them to mount at the proper angle. The original headlights were mounted so that they were pointed down toward the ground. The adjustment screws had to be turned to point the light "up" all the way to the limit of the adjustment and even then, they where marginally still pointed down too much. When I installed the new headlights, I took some time to trim the headlight openings with a dremel so the adjustments are at the midpoint when the lights are pointed approx straight out in front of the coach.

So, I would say the biggest improvement was getting the headlight assemblies mounted properly so they can be accurately adjusted. The quality of the Depot projector beams can't hurt either though !

Jeff
Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff:

Those tail lights are much lower priced! They are the shell only, just pull the old sockets out of the old lenses and push them into the new shell/lenses.

The ones I ordered are LED. The superbright LED's are much brighter and quicker lighting (if quicker is important, not sure it is, to me). I just wanted the significantly brighter output with the more modern look. BTW the backup light still uses the old socket.

Could you let me know the details of your alterations to the cap? I'd really like to make sure the aim is perfect before any paintwork.

Dale:

My headlights were a little cloudy when I bought it. The adjusters completely broken. The light output on high beam was barely acceptable for normal output. I cleaned them up, but they still take on moisture and the aim is way off.

The new lights have much better light output, according to the specs. I have yet to mount them. I'll do so in February, when I have the cap repainted. I'll post the results.

The tail lights looked and worked fine, I'm just after brighter and cooler.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
takepride,

You want the bottom edge of the light housing to be vertical both left to right and front to back. The lens curves around the side and heads toward the back of the coach. That is the part that was originally tipped up at the back pointing the light toward the ground. There is a lip all the way around the opening where the light installs and you can trim the lip to allow the housing to fit so that when the up/down adjuster is at about the midpoint when the headlight is shining out in front of the coach. Just take your time and trim the opening until the housing mounts at the proper angle. You will also need to slot the holes where the 4 bolts hold the light to the flanges on the cap.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Takepride - Where did you get the taillights and wiring adapter? I want my taillights to be brighter and I you are right, they do look cool.

I just ordered the Option Racing headlights, I am tired of polishing the oiginal lights, just to have them fog up in a few months . Once I get them I will post my replacement experience.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get the Diamond coat on the front end to look decent again.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Dave:

I purchased the tail lights from Welcome to StreetPros.com - America’s Automotive Supermarket. They were $225.95 plus CA tax, total $246.23 with free shipping. The adapters are apparently available most anywhere. I'll check out Pep Boys tomorrow.

On the front cap film, I was told the 3M can be polished out, but the competition could not (too soft).