Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
website run amuck....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
website run amuck....

Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
OK, Options Racing does not stock these lights they backordered them and tell me 2 - 3 weeks before they will be in . I canceled the order so I am looking for other options.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

I posted a link earlier in this thread about lights that I bought on ebay. They are "Depot" brand and are a high quality replacement light. I have been very happy with them. They are a little more expensive than the ones you are looking at, but these have a very bright LED "halo" in lieu of the CCFL "halo" used on the less expensive lights. The CCFL is kinda like a fluorescent tube ring around the lights. They require time to "warm up" and I think they have a transformer or starter box that might be prone to issues. I liked the fact that these lights I'm using simply have LED's and use very little power and zero maintenance.

Best of luck,

Jeff

If you do want to buy the CCFL, the same seller has less expensive lights listed for less $$$.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
I would probably prefer the LED halos, too, but I also want the LED strips and the LED superbright turn signals. Has anyone seen this combination?

Mine were backordered, too, but the coach has waited 8 years so far, I figured a few more weeks wouldn't hurt. Of course that's assuming they ever really do come......
Old 12-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
For the LED white projectors, HID, here is a very nice light.

BMW E39 DJ Auto Headlights Hella Style (HID kit & Angel Eyes Included) E39PROJHELLADJ - DDM Tuning Car Part Store Online

If I cannot get the ones with the Superbright LED turn signals and LED strips, I will likely get these. They are made by Hella, the OEM. Depo is also available.

For folks just looking for new covers, there is this:

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-131...ver-97-00.aspx
Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, so I ordered the Depot lights on the 16th. Their "policy" is to ship 2 business days after the order is placed/paid. According to theemail theysent me I placed/paid for this order on the 16th. The eBay site only allows you to order it with standard shipping (no chance to change it) so I called on the 19th. After searching for several minutes they tell me my order will ship on Monday the 22nd. I would like to get the old lights off before we leave on our next trip, so I asked to upgrade the shipping, you are not allowed to do that, even if I pay the added costs. This just does not seem like the way to run a customer oriented business. I will update this thread when they arrive.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
A little word of warning ...

I recently removed the front headlights to polish them in my garage. During the removals the corners of both upper mounting tabs broke. Here's a picture of the possible breakage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Upper Tab.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	7298

I was able to effectively (although not perfectly) correct the problem by gluing the broken piece back into place and using new bolts with flat washers and standard nuts. I can provide more details about my method for correcting the tab breakage if anyone is interested.

The problem stems from the possibility that the original bolts and correspoding "clip nuts" get rusted in place for their years of existence. The unsrewing action of the bolt can result in breaking the corner of the tab. In retrospect, you can try using a rust penetrator prior to attempting the removal, or use small channel locking type pliers to hold the tab while unscrewing the bolt.

This has been my experience. Hopefully, you can avoid the tab breakage.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Well this week we have been at Blythe Regional Park in Brunswick, GA and I had time to install the Depo lights. They fit well, a little pushing here and there but they went in, if I get a chance I will probably adjust a 1/32" or so off the fiberglass shell. One thing I noticed, WRV added a screw at the bottom of the housing to hold it down (I put that on the new ones too). The day before I had soaked all four bolts with penetrating oil, the next day when I went to remove the old lights it was easy. I hooked the "Angel Eyes" to the parking lights circuit so they are on any time the lights are on (no blown fuses or melted wires ). They appear to be aimed a bit high, but have adjustment, so I think we are all set.

And here is the "old", the "new" and the "new" turned on.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excellent looking upgrade
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #39

I agree, a very nice looking upgrade!! You might be costing me some money!

How is the light output compared to the previous lights? The fact that they are aimed too high initially would be an improvement from mine right there.

Thanks for the photos.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
At this point I can't comment, I drove with them at dusk yesterday but that was in the rain so I could not really tell. I need to get a state inspection sticker soon, so then I will know for sure, but from what I have seen thus far I like it..
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Dave:

Option Racing says still at least three weeks and offered a refund. I took it. I ordered the same as yours, HID, LED Halos. It reuses the turn light bulb and socket, though I'm looking to change it to an orange bulb. They arrived in five days.

The wiring diagram was clear, for a new install but not very helpful for the upgrade. I'll need to trace the existing wiring.

I still haven't figured out the occasional daytime running lights I seem to have, intermittently. However, I will make sure the halos are tied to the "switched" terminal so they illuminate when the engine is on.

I test fitted them. Like the originals, there are three clear plastic tabs on the bottom that on a BMW hook under sheet metal. On ours they were trimmed off. My cap's cutouts seem to be plumb and I cannot tell one way or the other if the lights will shine higher, without wiring them in.

I'll post results in the next couple weeks.

Jeff:

Thanks for your posts. I learned a lot about the differences between the CCFL and LED Halos, projectors, etc. by doing more online research. You're right about the CCFL's. They are very troublesome and show up on lots of forums. Folks with CCFL halos can upgrade them to LED's fairly easily. Here is a great tutorial of the differences:

http://www.stealthauto.com/bmw-headl...FQQPbAod8RNZoA

I found another way to get the LED strip lights, like Audi's and Benz's, by using a separate fixture. Not sure yet if I want daytime halos and strips. Maybe too much. Besides, I can test the look using the LED strips I plan to buy for the rear closet. They are the same sans a silicone casing.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Takepride,

Thnaks for the update. You will like the quality of the depo lights. I did not order the HID ones....I just installed silverstar bulbs thinking it would keep things a little simpler. I'll be interested to hear how you like the HID system.

When I installed the new assemblies, there was a little rubber trim piece attached to them that was not required which was easily removed. I also ground off a few of the little plastic "nibs" that are strategically located around the housing. These are probly helpful with a BMW install but they were a hinderance to getting the housing to adjust properly on the Alpine front cap. The most important thing that I wanted to get done when installing the new ones was to get the lights to sit "level" with the up-down adjustment in a mid position so I had plenty of room to adjust the beams. The left-right adjustment is simple. The up-down is the one that gives Alpines the most issue. Since the headlights are not only on the front of the cap but they also wrap around the side for the sidelight/parking light, it required some trimming of the fiberglass surrounding the lights. I used a dremel and took my time and finally got them adjusted spot on.

Goodluck with yours and keep us posted on the progress !

Jeff