RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
So....... What kit did you settle on?

Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Arnold View Post
So....... What kit did you settle on?
Gary,

I settled on the OPT-7 kit. It was a bit difficult to find out how to keep the bulb in, but I settled on manipulating the existing bulb holder. I sawed off both sides of the hold to basically make a disc and holed out the middle so it would slide over the wires and rubber grommet. Entire install took about 2.5-3 hours.

Happy with the results, but perplexed that there was nothing in the kit to hold the new bulb in place.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #17

Great job !!! I need to get this done also.. all the parts sit in the garage.. soon!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #18

Looks nice, appreciate the postings. Wondering where you pulled the 12 volts from?

thanks
RDM3525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM3525 View Post
Looks nice, appreciate the postings. Wondering where you pulled the 12 volts from?

thanks
I have a 2005 Limited 40FDTS. I was able to pull it from the large stub on the passenger side, located on the firewall. I'll try to post a picture the next time I have the generator slide out.

I had to run a dedicated line from that stub to the relay wiring harness that I attached close to the driver side headlight. The relay harness has an inline fuse for the headlights themselves. I picked up some stranded 12 gauge stranded wire (I chose red to make it easy. I ran the wire from the that stub and used zip ties to attach it to the other wires run on top of the generator and on the firewall. I drilled a hole in the steel frame on the front of the slide to attach the grounding wire from the relay harness. I like the butt connectors that have the heat shrink on both sides. I only had to utilize one to connect the power wire to the relay harness. Everything else I was able to utilize zip ties to secure wires to the frame on the front.

It really wasn't that difficult of a job, just had to figure out how I was going to tackle the power and then the manipulation of the existing sockets to utilize them as locking mechanisms for the new headlights. I'm pleased with the output for sure. We get on the road Thursday night. While I prefer to drive during the day, with a 5 month old, night time is a great time to drive as he sleeps through it.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #20

Appreciate the information. I'll have to get the complete headlight fixture as well given the condition of the current headlight lenses on the coach. It's on my to do list.

Hope the trip goes well. Again appreciate the information.

Ron
RDM3525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM3525 View Post
Appreciate the information. I'll have to get the complete headlight fixture as well given the condition of the current headlight lenses on the coach. It's on my to do list.

Hope the trip goes well. Again appreciate the information.

Ron
No problem Ron!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #22

I am sure I speak for others also,
I really appreciate the info.
Mine is an 03 36fdds and the lenses are oxidized.
I plan to try and refinish them but this will also enhance the perforemance.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #23

Is it correct that the '07 FDDS has BMW headlights? Which model and year? 'My' aiming gears are sad. Thx.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #24

Great job!

I think they look great! As yet, I havenít driven my coach at night....just a little too afraid of things jumping in front of me, plus Iím still trying to get more comfortable driving in the daytime! Replacing the headlights is on my list as well since all the searches I did on the subject mostly said that the common restoration methods donít last more than a year or so, and my lights are VERY fogged up. Could you hazard a guess what it would cost to have a shop do the labor if I supplied the parts? Your description was so thorough that I now realize this is a project I canít begin to tackle!
Thanks!
Kiddikop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #25

...yup, WRV used BMW, 5-series, E39 headlight assemblies {BMW 1997-2003} on Alpine 2000 thru 2009 model years. There are a large number of OEM and after-market lights on Amazon and E-Bay....They range from modestly priced to very expensive for OEM replacements...they come in different configurations for bulbs/lenses and matte colors....most are plug and play with modest requirement for modifications...most common mod is that Alpine has integrated amber turn signals while BMW models had remote t/s lights.....word of caution--the cheapest offerings way not be of "acceptable" quality.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddikop View Post
I think they look great! As yet, I havenít driven my coach at night....just a little too afraid of things jumping in front of me, plus Iím still trying to get more comfortable driving in the daytime! Replacing the headlights is on my list as well since all the searches I did on the subject mostly said that the common restoration methods donít last more than a year or so, and my lights are VERY fogged up. Could you hazard a guess what it would cost to have a shop do the labor if I supplied the parts? Your description was so thorough that I now realize this is a project I canít begin to tackle!
Thanks!
Kiddikop,

I would recommend replacing the headlights themselves if they are that fogged up. Refinishing, even when done professionally, doesn't seem to stand up to the test of time in my past experience. There are some posts on here discussing how to do this with readily available options from eBay.

I promise this is within your capability. It was not a difficult project, just a little time consuming. As for the holding the bulb into the socket, there are adapters that are available (wish I had known that).

If you plan to tackle it, send me your phone number and email and I'll be glad to get pictures of anything you'd like to see, as well as the information for how and where to order.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #27

In the FWIW section, the plexi H/L lens on our '08 Smart cabrio, (80k miles) are still as clear as day one. I applied clear film to them when the car was about a year old. There is some paint pitting on adjacent panels, but no crazing or pitting of those covers.

Smart is made by Daimler, in France.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybyrd View Post
I am sure I speak for others also,
I really appreciate the info.
Mine is an 03 36fdds and the lenses are oxidized.
I plan to try and refinish them but this will also enhance the perforemance.
Try using bug spray with Deet. I used it on my Sienna and it clear the headlight lens right up. Spray the bug spray on a clean cloth then apply it to the lens of the headlight.

Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light