RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #1

Headlight Options

I have done quite a few searches and have come across a few posts on headlights, but none of them fully answer what I'm looking for...

My coach still has the original Hella headlights, which don't provide very much light. I'm looking for options.

1. Has anyone simply replaced the bulbs with either HID or LED bulbs with good results? If so, which bulbs did you use and where did you purchase?

2. If simply replacing the bulbs is not the best option, which replacement headlights are best? Where did you order? Lastly, does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to install and wire them? I have a 2005, so I have Vanscos.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

Well apparently no one wants to talk headlights.

I ordered a HID kit that is supposed to be pretty simple and utilizes the existing house with a shroud mounted around a portion of the bulb to aim the light correctly.

More to follow if anyone is interested.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hambone, I wouldn't attempt to speak for everyone else but like me they may be assuming that you searched this forum for "Headlight" issues. That subject is one of the oldest. I have no experience with brightness issues and have successfully avoided night driving. I'm quite sure that others reading this forum are interested in whatever information you can share.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #4

......don't know exactly how the later model Alpines with Vansco comm modules deal with the amp load for headlights, eg, using relays and heavier gauge wire to power the lights. Perhaps un-related but have read where some headlight upgrades also require upgrade of transformers, wire gauge, or ventilation/heat resistant mountings to support high-end headlight mods??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #5

Replacing the bulbs is simple and quick. Most auto parts stores will have replacement bulbs in 3 or 4 brightness levels. I opted to go one level brighter on the low beams and 2 levels brighter than standard on the high beams. The brightest ones are the most costly and have a shorter life expectancy.

I have driven at night with the original bulbs on dark country roads in the rain and didn't feel that the brightness was a terrible problem. The old bulbs are now spares and I have yet to do any night driving with the new ones. We generally try to avoid night driving whenever possible.

There were a number of coaches at the Florence, OR rally with HID and LED headlights, so it is definitely doable. I didn't ask anyone about wiring specifics.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

site:irv2.com/forums/f104 headlight replacement
Old 06-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrthor View Post
site:irv2.com/forums/f104 headlight replacement
Done that search about 4 different ways, but there really were only about 6 or so postings. None with a bulb replacement. This kit comes with the ballast, transformer and igniter. I'll plug everything in and try to turn it on to see if it works before actually mounting everything. All of the reviews of the kit did not show a need to upgrade wire or relays, but those upgrades were done on BMWs, not our coaches.

They are supposed to be in by tomorrow night, so I'll see what I come up with Sunday.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Tommy, send me your e mail address and I can talk to you about the upgrade HID’s I did with my 06 Apex. There is a few things to learn especially with a Vansco system involved. My e mail is swdavis@citlink.net
Steve
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #9

Wiring Question

The kit came in this weekend. The relay set up to prevent flickering requires a line directly to the battery. Is there a direct line from the battery anywhere up by the generator that I can tie into (i.e. not connected through a Vansco)? Or am I going to need to run a dedicated line from the rear to the front?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #10

Tommy,

I believe there are a couple of spots on the firewall where you can pick up 12v and not have to run back to the battery. I'm sure somebody who knows for sure will chime in here with a little more info.

I will be watching your headlight install posts and see what you have to say about the final outcome and the quality of the lights you install. Headlight replacement is on my list of upgrades. The one thing I do know is, the new headlights make the whole front end look a lot better, its a huge change.

Good luck, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #11

I didn't see the tread earlier but here is my 2 cents. I have a "focused beam" lower headlight and regular high beam. I too was very disappointed with the standard light set up. I found a light replacement (H9) in a LED. Installed them and found that they were no better if not worse. I have tried all sorts of halogen bulbs to no avail. So now I'm going to install a LED accessory set up behind my grill. The grill is pretty open so the lights "should" project some great light. Problem right now is some are too bright to use as the low beams. So still searching for something that will not blind everyone. Why do it this way? I had seen a couple of coaches with this set up and they look fantastic at night. A great "white" light and seem to project fairly far down the road.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
JDMastar I have found to be a good source for quality LEDs. They do offer a wide range of replacement lights for OEM incandescent bulbs. If you are looking to upgrade your tail, turn or head lights without replacing the entire fixture, they have LEDs that will fit the OEM sockets. Their website can be found here: https://www.jdmastar.com/
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #13

Complete

Well, for anyone following, I completed the install this evening. A couple of holes drilled to mount the ballasts, a run of additional wire from the main 12V stub up front (on the firewall in front of the passenger seat), and quite a few zip ties; and we're running.

The difficultly with the kit that I ordered was securing the bulbs. The rubber grommet included on the bulb did not securely fasten the bulb. I had to manipulate the existing bulb holder to secure the bulb. I had to saw off both sides to virtually make a ring with the locking mechanisms and hole saw the middle out to slide over the wires and rubber grommet to secure the bulbs in place. It wasn't the easiest, but the bulbs are secure and centered. Like any aftermarket HID kit, they require a brief warm up (less than 20 seconds).

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow evening for anyone interested.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #14

Here are the finished pics. I’m on significant high ground with the Jeep parked on the incline. Standing in front of the coach, they don’t appear to be any more blinding than stock, as they are aimed in the housing at the same angle and have the stock shroud around them. First night drive coming up in a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3E208AD3-4E04-4797-A208-52F60FC19E1A.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	206092   Click image for larger version

Name:	97E9973E-D4D3-48F7-9947-AE789EC6849B.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	206093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2CA6C5A6-7B75-49A0-874D-356D4303CDA1.jpg