Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #1

I have a 2008 34FDDS and noticed the front headlights have condesation inside the lens. I noticed this after we had several days of rain. Has anyone had this problem and is there anything that can be done to keep it from happening?

Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Search using the google search box on top of the page under headlights. I just went through this...and there were some good comments. I hope it will be helpful to you.

2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
HI Biker. I have the same problem in our '03. I don't know if there is a solution other than changing out the headlight units (search "headlights" on this forum for information about changing out the headlight units). The condensation in mine usually goes away in a day or two so I have never worried enough about it to take any steps to remedy it. If your headlight units are getting lots of scale deposits on the inside of the lens because of the condensation then I would definitely consider changing out the units.
Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I did the search as suggested and found some useful information. It's nice to know where to get replacements if needed. I think it's pretty cool to have BMW parts on the coach! I live in South Carolina and we have a big BMW plant in Greenville SC.
My lenses are not cloudy from the condensation yet but I noticed them and was little concerned. This coach is relatively new to me and I don't have that much MH experience.
From the info I gathered this is a common problem with these lights. Some blame it on installation? Then they recommend resealing the seams for the fix. That doesn't seem like an installation problem. More like a manufacturing problem. Anyway I got the info and will take a closer look and see what I can do.

Thanks again for the replies!
Love this site!
Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder:

Remove lamp. blast with dry air for say a day or so. (Or do this is Arizona during the aird season) Not a lot of pressure, A small fan blowing into a tube roughly half the size of the opening where you insert the lamp should do (Need to let the moist air out) if the air blowing in is HOT it might help as well (World's Smallest space heater.. My Lady's hair dryer? that might be faster)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Alpine Owners Club

Word of caution when removing those headlights that I've learned the hard way (of course!? ). They're fastened to the fiberglass "shelf" using plastic tabs that protrude from the headlight unit. After years & years of sitting there they tend to "STICK" big time. I suggest using smaller adjustable pliers to hold on to the plastic tab while loosening the nuts. Just about all of mine broke. I had to get a little creative in fastening it back together since buying new headlights is an expensive option if avoidable.
Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
I had the same problem a 5 years ago on drivers side. I was able to take the light apart and clean it. It still got water in it. Final solution was to cover the light with plastic sheet to prevent water from running down onto it. Never has had a problem since.

Richard and Cris
Durham, NC
2004 Alpine Ltd. 36 mds
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote