Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
heart charger/inverter 2000

Yesterday after picking up coach at storage went to turn on inverter for backup camera and it was already on. Wierd, always park turn off everything and both main power switches and never had a problem for 3 years. Any1 ever had a inverter turn itself on? Batteries were not completly dead but very low . 5.6 volts each. Does any1 know how long to get the batterys back to normal. the red battery low indicator won't go to yellow, been several hours. any advise or comments. batterys are 3 years old.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
New batteries. That's the only thing you can do.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #3

Recommend that you open the battery disconnect and place an external battery charger on them. Alternate between high rate of charge and trickle charge for a few hours. Sat 5 minutes high and 15 minutes low charge rate. After 2 hours place them on trickle charge ( 2 amp) until the come to full charge.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

rsha- 2amp trickle probably won't budge the battery bank (at least 440ah).

Gator- Barbara may be right, if the batteries were down that low for an extended period it may not be possible to bring them back. Rsha's method may help but you'll need higher charge rate, at least 10amp for low charge rate to move the needle any.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

The 2 amp rate is to allow the plates to cool after the high rates. The high rates generate a lot of heat and can cause the plates to warp enough to short. The is better than 50-50 chance that the battery's are bad.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

Possible that the extreme low voltage caused the inverter logic to get crazy and flip on. I would make sure that you have fully charged and healthy batteries before trying to diagnose a possible inverter problem.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis

Thanks for all the good info.
I disconnected all the batteries and let them sit overnight.

In morning I checked each battery for a dead one or low voltage. All had 5.7 volts. They never went completely dead so I think I'm OK.
I plugged the coach in and set the power share mode on the control panel to 5 amps.
This caused the charger to charge at a very slow rate. I never knew you could do this.
It took two days but so far all is good. I'm going to add a House battery disconnect to my other two main battery switches and cover all bases. Thanks for your help. Gator
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

Its good to be cautious with things like this but am not sure the numbers are adding up here. Not sure which inverter your 99 has but am pretty sure it is the freedom combi--which is an intelligent charger. Among other things, I think your inverter/ charger has a temp probe to monitor bat temps. Guess I would continue to monitor the bats anyway but the temp probe should derate the charger if the bats show any signs [ie high temps] of over heating. Assuming you have 4 house bats, thats about 220ah [at half discharged] of capacity to recover. Setting the inverter/charger at 5 AC amps means the charge is derated to accommodate sharing a shorepower supply of only 5 amps. Not sure what the charger is puting out [in DC amps] at this setting but it cant be much. At the 5 amp setting--think this is going to take awhile.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote