Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #1

We recently took delivery on our 2003 Alpine Coach and looking in the owners manual in the battery section, it speaks about the Heart Interface Echo Charger. After we parked without starting the engine for a few days, the chassis batteries went dead. We are hooked up to shore power and I thought according to the owners manual that the Heart Interface Echo Charger was supposed to draw a trickle from the house batteries which are in turn is being re-charged from the shore power hook up.

All batteries installed are NEW, house batteries are fine...just the chassis one's are dead. Did I forget to flip a switch or something?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #2

We recently took delivery on our 2003 Alpine Coach and looking in the owners manual in the battery section, it speaks about the Heart Interface Echo Charger. After we parked without starting the engine for a few days, the chassis batteries went dead. We are hooked up to shore power and I thought according to the owners manual that the Heart Interface Echo Charger was supposed to draw a trickle from the house batteries which are in turn is being re-charged from the shore power hook up.

All batteries installed are NEW, house batteries are fine...just the chassis one's are dead. Did I forget to flip a switch or something?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Eusefull:

Glad you could join us on this Form and to the Alpine Family. I would suggest that you check the Coach Batteries first as one of the new batteries may be going bad. One dead battery could cause the engine not to start. The batteries should not go dead that fast. When connected to shore power or Gen I push the button of the Inverter Panel for charge and that maintains my batteries. I hope this info helps. I would also like to invite to attend an ACA Rally or of the Regional Rallies in your area. You can check the ACA web site for details.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #4

Thanks Dave...I think I forgot to push the button on the Invertor Panel. Is it the button labeled "Charge"
Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 AM   #5

Your Echo Charger mabe wired wrong Check this post.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7486073452/m/...976070852#6976070852

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #6

Thanks Danny for the link...I will check it out on our coach. Hopefully it is this little change that will make the difference.

Eusefull
Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #7

I located the install manual for those like me that are novice with electrical issues.

Danny's post with the link describing a solution to the chassis battery issue I am having is my next endeavor and the link below seems to be the original install manual for the Echo Charger. Will come back and post results as soon as I am done.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/421/docserve.asp

Eusefull
Old 03-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #8

Are you sure you have an Echo Charger? I looked for mine in my 04 as the manual showed. Found out today it is entirely different system. They changed late 03 I think. I too have problem with Chassis battery drain. They seem to be linked to the house batteries and discharge at the same rate. I am conversing with David at WRV now trying to troubleshoot.
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #9

Check Bigsky posting 9-5-06, What replaced echo charger after 2003, missing wire on interconnect switch fixed my problem on 04 coach.

Al
Old 03-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Richard and Cris,

I saw in another thread that you had a '98 previously, was it an Alpine? If so, got a question, Where is the Echo Charger? I've been working with Dave at WRV on an inverter issue. We started out trying to determine if all was well with the Echo Charger. Problem. Can't find it. Something is keeping the batteries charged so have to assume the charger is there and working, still, I'd really like to see it The problem that got me looking into this in the first place is that I do not have 110ac at the wall outlets in the galley or bath areas when on inverter power. All the lights that should work, do work. Both TV's come on when using inverter power. Dave has been very helpful, however, I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this?

Jeff
'98 Alpine
36' FDS
Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 AM   #11

Well, my draining chassis battery ordeal is fixed and it was a simple one fortunately. Thanks to all that provided feedback and input.

Situation was: while on shore power, my house batteries would stay re-charged no problem, but the chassis batteries (brand new), were going dead even with the battery control switch in the last compartment turned off. I could jump it and run the engine to re-charge, but they would be dead again in a day or two.

Solution: while taking the advice of Danny Gayhart to inspect the 2 wires coming "to" the battery isolator located in the battery compartment...he suggested they might need to be switched around....I inspected the in-line fuses (20amps) and found a bad one. Dropped a new fuse in, waited 45 min and viola'...coach started right up. Seems now the chassis batteries are getting the excess charge that flips when the house batteries are fully charged so all is good again!

Did not attempt switching the wires since this seemed to be to problem after all but a big thanks to all who chimned in with their offerings.

Eusefull
Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eusefull:
Well, my draining chassis battery ordeal is fixed ...

Did not attempt switching the wires since this seemed to be to problem after all but a big thanks to all who chimned in with their offerings.

Eusefull </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, it is not just a swap of the two wires going to/from the Echo Charger, but making sure that:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The wire at the Echo Charger that is labelled Starter Battery is actually goes to the Chassis batteries and
<LI>The wire at the Echo charger that is labelled House Battery actually goes to the House batteries[/list]WRV seems to have installed these two wires reversed on many coaches. Therefore, as the house batteries were getting charged, the Echo Charger was monitoring the Chassis batteries (incorrectly) waiting for full charge before sending charge current to the other circuit (incorrectly connected to the house batteries). This was why reversed Echo Charger wires was causing the chassis batteries to never get charged.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #13

Jeff and Cheryl,
I don't recall having outlet power from inverter. The TV's were all that worked. I think the echo charger was in the battery compartment but I never had a problem so never located it. We liked our '98. Very solid coach without complications.
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Richard and Cris,

Thank-you. Regarding inverter power, the sconce lights work and the TV's but nothing else. Sounds like that is how the '98's are wired. That takes care of that goos chase

Jeff
'98 Alpine
36' FDS