Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #1

heater fan switch on my 08 alpine coach

my fan switch does not turn on fan in the low positions but ok on Hi.. I replaced the unit connected with 2 wires and a thermocouple that is about 14 inches long and goes into a hole at the fan unit..still the same problem.. is there a resister pack also? If so, I don't see one..Mel
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Melorene, The resistor is high on the front side of the heater core box/ It has a connector the you pill off. then 2 screws that you need a stubby phillips! With this out, you need to work it loose as its set in sealant! I would have the key and the heater turned to a lowere speed. then use a test light grounded and prod the connector for juice! If non, that should say its not the problem! You said that 14 inch tube just pulls out of the hole in the box? I was about to tackle that next, as I have no action with the heat cools fan at all! Allegro5 greatallegro5@aol.com
allegro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

I also lost the name of the AC mfg who WRV bought the AC system from.. I contacted them before but lost the paper that had their name ..
Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #4

Melorene

The company that supplied to dash A/C parts was Acme RV air cond in Kansas City. They are no longer in business, but when I called about 6 months ago the phone worked and they had a limited supply of parts left.
Look back for a thread on dash blower motor for phone number. If not pm me and I will look for it.
Hope this helps

Sandy and Debi
2001 alpine 34 FDDS
Simi Valley Ca
sandy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #5

I had called their number about a year ago and they answered but had been bought out by someone else and now the number is no good.. just want to know if on an Alpine Coach if there is a resistor pack and where it is..other brands of MH's may use different heating systems so can't use their info..I was told by Guaranty it was the thermostat but it didn't fix it..must be a resistor pack or a fuse somewhere..thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #6

am now looking for the possible problem, a resistor pak..can't find one ..am stopping by Uhlmann's RV in Washington on Monday and hope their super Techs can help..
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #7

Mel- this is driven by your front Vansco (remove plastic panel ahead of passenger's feet). "Overhead Fan" Hi & Lo are inputs (and LED's) 13 & 14 on the left bank of LED's. Check to see that each lights. If the offending setting isn't lighting, then the problem may be in the switch not sending voltage to the Vansco. If they light, then look for the output LED 9. With a single output to the fan, I'm guessing the Vansco revises voltage out for low fan speed (12V for high, maybe 6V for low). If output9 isn't lighting then the problem is internal to the module and can be repaired by Vansco. If its the switch, then check w/the Alpiner who was running down Carlson Technologies who makes the switch and find out where they can be had. You can do these checks yourself or have Uhlmann do them if you're not tuned into diagnosing the two-way switch. The Vansco lights can be diagnosed by anyone, even an engineer.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #8

Mike, it isn't the overhead fans that don't work, it is the dash heater and a/c fans that doen't work.. fan works in the hi position but not in the first 3 low settings.. Uhlmanns couldn't find it either.. they don't usually work on the dash board heater a/c systems..
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #9

My bad.
On the 08 Vansco table for the Front VMM, the AC appears to be called "Blower". It has an input on LED 7 shown as Blower Hi, but I don't see any other input. Then on Outputs 11, 12, & 13 are Blower1, Blower2 and Blower3.
Not sure how that's supposed to work, but you could check those LEDs and see if they indicate signal out. Might be the Input 7 takes either a voltage level to indicate output 11, 12 or 13, or it could be Input7 takes a pulse width modulated signal to differentiate output 11, 12, or 13.
I sent Mel the 08 tables & ladder logic which I have, so maybe his tech can figure that out & Mel can post the info.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #10

I had the same problem on my 04 with the Acme GM-style controller.
I isloated the problem to the controller by by moving the bundle of wires/tubes connected to the back of the controller (i.e. as I moved the bundle with low speed air on, the fan would run)

I recall it turned out to be a bad pneumatic connection on the back of the controller.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #11

Thanks, Clayton at Uhlmann's said it may be back of the knobs and that it looked like a GM module.. will have to wait till I get home next week, to get into it. thanks to all for your input..
Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #12

Here is the resistor set photo Mel sent me. You'll see the "box" the resistor plate attaches to in the upper part of the photo which has louvers to dissipate the heat. Its up above the fan shroud on the forward side of the firewall, accessible w/some back strain when you have the gen slide out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC fan resistor.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	5247  
Old 09-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I could be wrong, but I dont think the fan is actually in that box. It contains the heater core and core from the air conditioner! The blower is further inside the Dash! No doubt all connected tho! I recently replaced the blower and the end was an inch from touching the lower dash skirt! As My Dynasty is an olde 96, I cut a hole in the skirt to replace the motor! For now I installed an oak trim board over the hole, and wiil install a new vinly on thet lower dash later! allegro5
allegro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #14

Mike. thanks for doing that as I couldn't do the picture..yes, it was a lose connection going into that resistor pak that caused it to get hot in the connector and melt the incoming power wire to it so we broke it out of the connector pak and put a new end on it and connected it tightly and now works fine. The resistor wires are kept cool by the air flow from the fan box..the fan switch assembly on the dash the tech said is a GM part he thought and very hard to remove. glad we didn't have to. again, Thanks Mike and others for your help. Mel