Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
heater hose to aqua hot rupture

The heater hose to the back of the Aqua Hot heat exchanger has bust. Lost all engine coolant and stranded on the side of the road. In no position to replace the entire hose I cut out the rupture and installed a splice. Refilled the 10 gallons of coolant and back on the road, expecting to change out the entire hose in AZ before DRR. Well it rupture again about a foot down the line.

Can the engine coolant to the Aqua Hot the be disabled until I get to spot to replace all the hose. I've read on some other manufactures posted there is valving that can be turned off. Where are the connections to the engine block?

Has anyone change out these hoses to the Aqua Hot and is the same hose type used to the dash heater?

The coach was built Jan 08 and has 27,000 miles.

2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

I had my Aqua Hot out this last summer to fix a leak. There is automotive heater hoses in and out off the engine to the aqua hot. I didn't look back at the engine to see where it is connected. I used pinch off pliers to stop the coolant. Should be 2 hoses running along side the frame to the engine. I would guess on the driver side to the front of the engine. If there are no shut offs on the engine, I would just cut a section of hose and loop the inlet and outlet together. Where you are away from home, it might be easier to by bypass the engine preheat and you could still run your Aqua Hot on Electric heat and diesel, just not the preheat. You could ask Roger Berke on his forum rvhydronicheaterrepair.com if you had any questions about this. He knows all about how the Hydro Hot is installed in WRV.

I know in mine it would have been impossible to run new hoses to connect to back of Aqua Hot. I had to cut an access hole through the floor under the M/H to get the back of the Aqua Hot and replumb the hoses. I am sure if you take this into shop on the road it won't be cheap.

I did post removing a hydro hot which you don't have to do but it does show the hole you would have to cut if it is like mine.

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Kraig, I thought about the Loop Back to eliminate the Aqua Hot but needed to know where the connections to the engine block are at.

I'm lucky by the time WRV made my coach they were putting an access hole in the floor behind the Aqua Hot. I found it by accident because they skinned over the hole with the material that covers the entire bottom of the coach. A box cutter cut the material an I made hatch to close it back up.

Since my first post I lifted the bed and found the two return hose connections, aqua hot and dash heater, at the top rear of the engine. But can only find one connection at the front behind the alternater. At least I think that's it. There may be a T or Y after that but I will leave it to the professional.

I'm definitely going to upgrade the hose, it's like wet noodle.
Anchorage, AK
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

Tom- please bring a section of the hose to DRR if you get it changed out. I'm wondering if they changed the type of hose at some point to a lousier hose or if that's an issue waiting to happen on others (like mine).
I don't seem to recall this as an issue on earlier rigs.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxguy View Post
Since my first post I lifted the bed and found the two return hose connections, aqua hot and dash heater, at the top rear of the engine. But can only find one connection at the front behind the alternater. At least I think that's it. There may be a T or Y after that but I will leave it to the professional.

I'm definitely going to upgrade the hose, it's like wet noodle.
On my unit there were two hoses (1 in. OD) going from engine to Aqua Hot and two separate hoses (3/4 in. OD) going from engine to front cab. heater. There was a Y connector near the transmission for the return lines so you only see three connections near engine. Only my Aqua Hot line ruptured and it cost us $600 for towing and $800 for a splice (plus all of the inconvenience). Replaced all the 1 in. hose with my brother, took 2 days, lots of dirty work... Replaced the plastic Y connector with a galvanized steel connector and put two shut off valves near engine.
And yes the hose was like wet noodle....
And BTW, if you shut off these hoses you not only loose engine pre-heat but you loose the "free" engine heat while you're travelling which to us is of much greater importance. Note that the coolant is circulated by the engine when the engine is running. Engine Pre-heat is done by a separate pump at the Aqua Hot and not all systems are equipped with that pump. (Easy to retrofit).
And I later found out that this sub-quality hose was used for a while at Newmar 04 to late 06 and it affected a number of coaches, so could be the same in your case.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I would like to close this thread with the results of the repair.

The pressure side hose to the Aqua hot was much softer and deteriorated than the return hose to the engine. The bad hose was also from a different batch number. The entire loop for the Aqua Hot was replaced.

The return connection was at the back of the engine (toward front of coach) and right next to the cab heat return. This is the easy one.

The pressure side of the Aqua hot does not come off the engine in the same location as the Cab Heater. It comes off under the alternator. The hose can not even be seen without removing the alternator. If fact the alternator rest on top of the hose connection and put a significant crease in the hose. When reinstalling I used rubber padding.

I used Gates Green Stripe Hose which is much tuffer than OEM and turns out to be the same brand that Aqua hot used inside the unit.

Refilling the system was a problem as the coolant would flow to the cab heater at 160 to 170 degrees but would not flow thru the aqua hot despite all attempts to bleed the air out. Until the thermastat fully opened at highway speed would the coolant flow to check for leaks.

Sorry I don't know how to put titles or remarks on the pictures.
Anchorage, AK
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Well the pictures didn't make into my last post and I quess I don't know how to make them show up. Any help?
Anchorage, AK
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #8

Photos have to be posted somewhere on the net. I put them under Photos> Upload Your Photos (see above). Once uploaded, open a window w/your photos, go to the photo you want to post, right click in the URL & 'Copy Location' of the photo.
Go to the thread you are posting in, click the little world/chain-link icon, in the little window for photo location that pops up right click & Paste the photo URL. Click OK.
Photos work well at around 150k, so if you have large photos, open them in a photo editing program & save them at a lower resolution. My cell phone has an option to email a photo in varying sizes, so rather than editing to smaller pixel density I just email a smaller version of the photo to myself, then Upload... per above.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gates Green Stripe from the pressure side outlet.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	32728

Name:	Pressure side connection under alternator.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	32729

Name:	Top Hose is cab heaer return,  Aquahot return goes to lower.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	32730Here are the pics
Anchorage, AK
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

Can you give us a quick narrative on the tap locations?
1st Pic: I see a left-right (clean) black hose w/green stripe, Is that rear side of engine?
2nd Pic: black shiny hose under the alternator
3rd Pic: empty hose barb fitting at lower right, rear of engine just below head?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry for the delay in answering. We're back in Alaska doing Taxes.

If you "mouse click on the pictures" there is a discription of the pictures. Still learning how to do this better next time.

Only the pressure is connected in these Pics.
Anchorage, AK
Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #12

Over Memorial Day weekend I also had a heater hose split. Hose goes from engine to to Aqua Hot. I assume this is for engine preheat. I told Cummins to replace both hoses. They followed the hose into the frame rail where they are wire tied and then foam shot inside of frame rail. It is near impossible to work on. They cut hose off on each side of frame rail and left old hose inside frame rail. Cummins ran new hose on outside of frame rail and hooked both hoses to AH and Engine. Started filling engine with new antifreeze and it started running out on the ground as fast as they were pouring it in. So they think there is something else tied into hose inside of frame rail that they cut off. The biggest problem is getting access to see what that could be.
My coach is a 2008 with 46,000 miles. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be attached to the hose inside of frame rail and how to get to it? The AH still works on electric and diesel. Did not try the furnace.
Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #13

Warrior- According to the AquaHot/HydroHot manual, they provide for an in & an out w/a circulation pump in between, i.e. its a closed circuit. I'm wondering if the hoses are twisted along the rail so the upper on back is the lower on front & Cummins cut two hoses? That would leave the abandoned hose as an opened port to relieve the engine of coolant. See Tom's last photo in post# 9 above. He reports the upper port w/black hose connected is for return from dash heater core; the lower exposed nipple is for the return from the AHot (would mean the inputs to block from dash heat & AHot are elsewhere). So there are two parallel hoses as returns for different circuits; they might have one cut in each circuit instead of two cuts in the AHot circuit. Your 2 new hoses spliced back to one of the circuits would leave the other still open to drain.
Alternatively, Tom might not have been correct and there is some other opening in between, but I'm wondering why it didn't run coolant out before.

The engine preheat circuit is closed, has one in & one out to circulate engine coolant thru the heat exchanger within the AHot. So your domestic heat loops which run AHot boiler fluid (not engine coolant) are not affected or tied into the engine preheat loop.

Brings up another interesting point- if the hose WRV was using was so flimsy, aren't they using the same hose for dash heat? We might be looking at needing to replace both hose runs with good quality hose if that's the case. Both of mine at the taps to the Cummins block are of the same hose type.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Heater Hose to aqua hot

I believe EM is right they mixed up the hoses and probably cut one heater and one aqua hot, there is nothing else connected. There are separate pressure and return lines for the dash heater and the aqua hot. On my 2009 the Aqua hot pressure side comes off the engine directly under the alternator and you cannot see it or touch it without removing the alternator. The dash heater pressure side is clearly visable about 6 inches below the alternator.

On mine both returns are on the back of the engine on the alternate side of the engine with the aqua hot on the bottom, but these could be reversed. However I believe the pressure side for each is as I discribed (Aqua hot touching the underside of the alternator and the Dash heat about 6 to 10 inched under the alternator).

I hope the hose that broke was the pressure siduses e to the aqua hot. On mine the pressure side was clearly soft and deteriorated. The return line was much better condition. I changed both lines with Gates Green strip hose which is the hose that is used by Aqua Hot inside the unit.

The hose to the dash heater is the same old hose that was originally used on the Aqua hot. I did not change the dash heater hose due to expense and I think it will last much longer since it does not have hot water running thru it all the time. Where as the aqua hot heat exchanger has pressurized hot water going thru it any time the engine is running.

That's why I hope the pressure side of the aqua hot burst, otherwise my theory is incorrect and I have to worry about replacing my dash heater hose.

Also when trying to get the system to circulate coolant after they get the hoses connected, the dash heater will circulate but the aqua hot won't until engine temp of over 190. I not sure of the reason but probably is due to the two different pressure side out puts on the engine.

You can PM me your cell # and I will call if you want to talk.

I forgot the ask if you looked for the hole in the floor under your aqua hot. You can't see it but on mine it's there but it was skinned over with the grey membrain covering the entire bottom of the couch. If you push up with your hand you can find it and cut it with a knife. Thru this hole you can look up and get your hands on the hoses so you can run new hoses right where the old ones ran. We actually took the hoses out in one piece so we could measure and replace.

Good luck

Anchorage, AK

Tags
heater