Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #1

Hello to everyone!

We're new to this forum and new to Alpine Coaches but, not new to RVing. We look forward to visiting this forum frequently. We'd love to be able to give advice but...we don't have THAT much experience

We're totally enamoured with the coach (2005/preowned) and know that there's 'always something' with these things so, we work through it and hopefully learn a few things. When something goes wrong, our frustration stems from being fulltimers and working fulltime from the coach.

That being said, we encountered a weird occurance today. We read a number of discussions that almost answered our question(s) but not quite. So...here goes...

1. We're dry-camping and running the genset.
2. There was a period (about 5 minutes) where the power cycled on and off and the transfer switch (we think based upon what we've read) started 'chattering' on and off.
3. After those 5 minutes, everything went back to 'normal' and has worked fine for at least two hours.

We don't know if this is related but last week (yes, it's always something), we had to replace the solenoid in the battery compartment after having to get jumpstarted twice in a week (house and chassis batteries too low to crank engine) and going through some troubleshooting over the phone.

Oh, and, the Hydro Hot just started working only on electric this morning. Not a huge deal but I thought I'd throw that in just in case it's all related

Thanks in advance!

Richele

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #2

Hello to everyone!

We're new to this forum and new to Alpine Coaches but, not new to RVing. We look forward to visiting this forum frequently. We'd love to be able to give advice but...we don't have THAT much experience

We're totally enamoured with the coach (2005/preowned) and know that there's 'always something' with these things so, we work through it and hopefully learn a few things. When something goes wrong, our frustration stems from being fulltimers and working fulltime from the coach.

That being said, we encountered a weird occurance today. We read a number of discussions that almost answered our question(s) but not quite. So...here goes...

1. We're dry-camping and running the genset.
2. There was a period (about 5 minutes) where the power cycled on and off and the transfer switch (we think based upon what we've read) started 'chattering' on and off.
3. After those 5 minutes, everything went back to 'normal' and has worked fine for at least two hours.

We don't know if this is related but last week (yes, it's always something), we had to replace the solenoid in the battery compartment after having to get jumpstarted twice in a week (house and chassis batteries too low to crank engine) and going through some troubleshooting over the phone.

Oh, and, the Hydro Hot just started working only on electric this morning. Not a huge deal but I thought I'd throw that in just in case it's all related

Thanks in advance!

Richele

Old 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #3

extg1,
This is one issue(s) where hopefully Engineer Mike, Vagobondman or a newer coach owner will jump in with some cogent information. My coach is too old for me to comment on the modern issues.

Glad to have you as part of the Alpine family!

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. You might want to add a footing with your coach length, year and # of slides. It helps you get the answers that fit your problems.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
As to the Hydro Hot, What is your fuel level. I thought I had a problem, but was just low fuel, Gage is not that accurate. Also after low fuel I had to turn switch off after initial try and back on to get fuel into the line and get it working again.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dgerstel:
As to the Hydro Hot, What is your fuel level. I thought I had a problem, but was just low fuel, Gage is not that accurate. Also after low fuel I had to turn switch off after initial try and back on to get fuel into the line and get it working again.

Dale </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dale.

Based on how many hours we've put on the genset and how far we've driven since the last fill up, we're around 7/8ths of a tank.

I threw that in just in case it was all somewhat/somehow related...

On another note, we shut down the genset to change the oil this morning and after an hour the batteries show such a low change level that we're not sure if we can start the engine or the generator. Fingers are crossed.

Richele
Old 07-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #7

Don't think that just because your coach is an '05 that your batteries are still good. That '05 could well have been built in the Summer or Fall of '04 and those original house and starting batteries could be 3 years old! Also, if you have the auto-fill set-up for the batteries it may not be working properly, as was mine, causing batteries to have low, or dry, cells...ultimately killing the batteries. Also, I'd triple check all the grounds!

Good luck
Old 07-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Richele,

You should be able to start the coach engine and then use the "battery boost" switch to start the generator. Make sure that the "power share" setting on the inverter is set to 30 amps. If it is set to low it will take forever to give batteries a full charge. Also make sure that the batteries are not low on water and you might check that the connections on the new solenoid are tight.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Richele - The Hydro hot problem is most likely the low voltage trigger. When you were jumpstarted it probably tripped. Go into the hydro hot compartment, the control box mounted on the wall will have a red LED on if that is the problem. Take a sharp object (I keep a paperclip in the compartment) and reset it (there is a hole near the top of the control box with the switch behind it). I am also told that you can turn the diesel switch on and off twice and that will do the same thing, although I have not tried it yet.

Good luck and let me know if that fixes the hydro hot problem. My wife and I enjoy Outdoor Resort, LV. If you are thinking of Sun shades, Kenny will come to your coach and install them for you, check at the office, they can get you his number, There is also a separate post here about them.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #10

Just an 'update'...

The Hydrohot issue was low voltage from the batteries. DrDaveCA was dead-on with the 'trigger'. Thank you!!

The transfer switch still makes a racket on occasion. Not all the time...just occasionally...that has us a 'bit' concerned.

dgerstel, the drain got so bad that the battery boost didn't help at all...hence the jump start. And, we check the batteries at least once/week depending on the heat/humidity. We're positive the connections are tight.

Rick Coleman, we took the coach into a Cummins authorized repair facility and the first thing they checked was the batteries...which are fine. They re-checked everything we already checked (aggravating, but necessary) and after $250 they found nothing (also irritating but, apparently necessary too!)

We're thinking either a problem with the transfer switch or the charger. One day...we may actually know

Thanks to all!!

Richele
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We had trouble with our transfer switch caused by a loose wire connection from the gen set. You might check the wire nuts and make sure they are tight. Just a thought. Then again, electricity and I don't get along.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Richele -
Glad the Hydro Hot suggestion helped. Since I posted the first response I have tried the turning the diesel switch that twice does not work. the only thing I am sure does work is the paperclip.

You need to check all the connections on the generator, not just the ground. There have been numerous problems with loose connections on both cables. There have been several postings here that will lead you if you want to check them out. When you are dry camping how long do the batteries last before you need to charge them? Even running everything except the AC, they should last a couple of days.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 AM   #13

"Wire nuts". The bane of mobile electrical connections and stranded wire.
Much better to Solder (Rosin core - NOT Acid core) the connections and apply liquid tape before taping them with a good grade electrical tape. My experience is that "Wire nuts" work well only with the Romex or single strand wires used in household circuits. Single strand wire must never be used in mobile or marine environments.

Solder them properly after tinning the stranded wires.

If done correctly, you'll never have to look at them again.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I'm sure our Alpine is built with single strand(romex) wiring. I beleive all the wiring in my transfer switch is single strand.