Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Question Hello and Possible new 36MD owner-

We are looking at a 2002 36MD, 102,000 miles on the odometer. Tires have a 2011 date code. We have only seen pictures and are going to see it next weekend. I have a locked in price WAY under NADA. The reason I was told was because the manufacturer is out of business???? I also think she mis-quoted me when she gave me the price. I ran a Carfax report and we would be the 2nd owner. Was this a good year for Alpine? It is from a large dealer outside of Tampa. TIA.

It has the 350 motor upgrade, W/D, Tile floor, Awnings on all windows.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, Western RV is out of business, but to the present owners that does not matter. Alpines, just like other coaches use commonly available parts. The generator is from Cummins, the refrigerator is either Amana or Dometic, the list goes on and on. The Alpines are one of, if not the best, riding coaches manufactured at any price. The only unique part is the chassis, it is a Peak, but who ever needs a chassis, if you do, you probably have a lot of other problems. You will find answers to most any issue on this forum, there are over 5,000 posts, someone has already had that problem and there is a thread, just search for it, or post and someone jump in and help. Just be aware, Alpines are unique and WRV did things differently than other manufacturers, so a response from some other brand owner (commonly called SOB) should be taken with a grain of salt, they may lead you astray, on the other hand it might be very valuable advise. For example you mention tires with a 2011 born date, the rule of thumb is 5 - 7 years you should be looking to replace them, so you should consider that with your purchase. Advice like that could come from anyone, other issues are not so generic.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

Hard to get an unbiased opinion from a group of owners but think most Alpine owners have been and continue to be happy with their Alpines. In my opinion, the 2002/2003 Alpines [pre-Vansco] were some of the most "stable" platforms built by WRV. Lack of a factory for a 10+ year old coach is a bit of a "red herring". Most factories are all but useless to you after a few years anyway. The key is getting access to a good set of maintenance records. In the absents of records, the best you can do is to extrapolate the overall appearance of the coach, inside and out, as an indication of how well it was cared for by the previous owner[s].....Good luck with your adventure.....
PS--the ISL 400 HP engine is probably a preferred engine but not a deal breaker.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #4

2002 Alpine Coach M-36MD (350hp) Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

for that year, with those miles, from a dealer that calls it a Keystone RV, take a long look at it, since dealer will likely give you a deer-in-the-headlights look for any questions you have.

Any price you get that's in the $30-40K range would be a good price.

Is the diesel a CAT or Cummins?

P.S. take care giving enough information that others can find the coach you're talking about. Some of us are in the market for just the same kind of coach
Old 08-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks. I already have a "hold" on this unit, so I know it isn't going to be sold out from under us. It is in the low range of the price you mentioned. It is a Cummins 350. I posted this in the Alpine Forum, to get other Alpine opinions.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
All Alpines have Cummins engines.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 08-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

We bought it!

She is currently at a local shop getting all fluids and filters changed. Drove her from Tampa to Atlanta, no issues. Engine responded when needed, transmission shifted fine. I was white knuckled more than a few times, especially when Jersey walls were on my right and a TT was flying by my left. Thank God my wife was co pilot as she kept me calm.
So far, we love her and call her "Bali Hai". From the movie South Pacific, Our own Special Island.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #8

Question

Took her into a trusted facility to -

Change engine oil and filter
Change generator oil and filter
Replace both Slide toppers
Repair a few plumbing issues (replace outside shower, Ice maker)
Clean roof, strip off old caulk and reseal
Replace seals around main slide
Fix entry steps (will not move in or out)

They also did a complete inspection. Electrical, Propane, Water Heater, Furnace, Engine, Transmission and Plumbing all checked out fine.

We hope to have her back in a week and are ready to thoroughly clean, accessorize and start enjoying her.

Is there a place where we can go to find specific parts? For instance, we are looking for -
1. the slide panel on the screen door which gives you access to the front door lock.
2. the Grab handle for the entry door
3. eventually need to replace both exterior mirrors as drivers side was bent and currently has a brace on the arm
4. any recommendations for replacing the rear view camera system? Would love to have it in color. Currently, monitor only shows white screen, no image shows up.
5. Can not find answer if I can safely tow a 2005 Accord, 4cyl, Auto - 4 down using Blue Ox system, so I guess I will need tow dolly.

TIA
Old 09-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
When our screen door slide broke I replaced it with a piece of plexiglas. I got a sheet from Lowe's and cut it to size. Plexiglass is flexible, although it will scratch, it is much less expensive then a tempered glass pane.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 09-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #10

Thumbs up

to answer a few of your questions...

1. the slide panel on the screen door which gives you access to the front door lock.
I agree with DrDave. Just get a piece of lexan or plexiglass from lowes and cut it to size. That's what my coach has and it works great.

2. the Grab handle for the entry door
I believe this is a standard part available at just about every RV parts store

3. eventually need to replace both exterior mirrors as drivers side was bent and currently has a brace on the arm
The exterior mirrors are made by Velvac (same as pretty much every other coach. They are available in chrome, so if you replace you can do that rather than matched paint.

4. any recommendations for replacing the rear view camera system? Would love to have it in color. Currently, monitor only shows white screen, no image shows up.
none...mine works fine, but i think the camera was replaced with a sony.

5. Can not find answer if I can safely tow a 2005 Accord, 4cyl, Auto - 4 down using Blue Ox system, so I guess I will need tow dolly.
the 2002 has a 10K pound towing capacity. It's not prewired for trailer brakes and has a factory 6 pin connector...i've wired mine and replaced the connector with a 7 pin
a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Grab Handle

The grab handle you need for inside the door is a slightly unusual length that I couldn't find except at the original supplier: PTL Engineering

This link should take you to a grab handle that works for our doors:

Handles & Locking Mechanisms | PTL Engineering

Measure between the screw holes and verify you're getting the correct handle.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #12

Dreamacre- IIWMI'd stop by my local NAPA auto parts place & order a Cole Hersee 90043-07 brake light switch to pack around. Next time you are having service done, have them swap out the new for old. When the old one sticks (an age issue), your cruise control won't release, toad brakes probably don't work, etc. Cost is maybe $25 for the part & 30 min labor to swap at a leisurely pace (easy DIY job if you can fit in the compartment ahead of the DS front wheel).

The other thing I didn't see on your list was brake fluid change which is critical. You can check the consistency of your fluid under the gen slide, dip a finger into the yellow-ish tank. If its like honey you need this ASAP. If its clear & watery you are good as it must have been done w/in a year or so. On an 02 you probably have the Meritor 4-piston brake calipers which require removal of the wheels for a proper bleed job; calipers have 2 bleed screws per caliper, inner & outer, one of which is inaccessible especially on rear wheels w/out removal of wheel. Looking thru holes in wheel on front you can probably tell if you have the 4-piston units (you'll see piston forms in the casting or you'll see a bare caliper as in older 1 or 2-piston style slide calipers). If you have 2-piston calipers they need the slides lubed regularly.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

Not to sound like a total noob, but we have Air Brakes. Why would I have to test Hydraulic Fluid?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #14

We don't have air brakes, or at least almost all of us don't. I think air brakes were offered as an option, but very few would have taken it.