Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Help! Can't find the fuse...

I accidentaly shorted the cig lighter socket on the driver's side of the console while installing my GPS. Now I have no dash lights, Silver Leaf, buzzers. dash radio,etc. Shift pad still lights, slides still extend. I'm certain I blew a fuse....can't find it. Any help would be most appreciated. BTW, 2006 Alpine 34FDDS.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #2

Jim,
On my '01 the top left "fuse/relay box" in the electrical panel in front of the copoilot's seat has a 20 amp fuse for the lighter. It is the second fuse from the top left inside the fuse/relay box; fuse is labeled "cigar."
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your response Steve but on my 2006, I don't have a fuse panel in front of the copilot's seat. I can only find two fuse panels; one for the "house" across from the bath, and one for the "chassis" in the battery compartment. If there is another, I don't have a clue where it would be. None of the fuse descriptions indicate cigar, dash, or anything else. I'm at a loss. I also am assuming that the same fuse for the dash power connection (cigar) is the same one controlling the dash. Again, I'm just not sure as I have only had the coach for five days.
Thanks again for trying to solve me problem.
Jim
Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
... on my 2006, I don't have a fuse panel in front of the copilot's seat ... Again, I'm just not sure as I have only had the coach for five days. Thanks again for trying to solve me problem.
Jim
Jim, All Alpine Coaches have multiple fuse panels in front of the passsenger seat on the right side of the dash behind a vertical panel. I don't think WRV ever changed the chassis design over the ~10 yrs in respect to that location for fuses.

You probably have yet to remove the approx 24" x 24" panel to your right as you walk up the stairs, but that is where your burnt fuse (and much more) can be found.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #5

Try reseting the Vansco system, should fix the problem.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Wayne, you are my hero. Resetting Vansco solved the problem. When I started pulling and testing fuses at the beginning of this fiasco, I was amazed at the lack of fuses. A small panel in the battery compartment is all there is for the chassis.

After one week of ownership, I'm learning more and more. Trial by fire....
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Jim
Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

If your dash panel that covers the front Vansco modules is screwed in, I would do the following. If the panel won't fit flush in the area where the 2 screws hold in to the dash, trim the cover to fit flush. Install velcro, to replace the screws. Glue the 2 screw covers over the 2 screw holes.

Now you can remove the cover easily. When ever something stops working, remove the cover and look at the Vansco modules. A blinking light tells you that you have a short in that circuit. Resetting the modules will reset the internal Vansco "circuit breakers."

I would also check the Vansco diagram, if you have one, (it should be on the back of the dash cover you remove to get to the front modules) to see that is correct. Mine and most of the other 2006 and later coaches I have checked have the wrong diagrams. To check, compare the turn signal codes on the rear module. With the ignition on, turn the turn signal on and see if the lights flashing on the module match the diagram. If they don't match, download the diagram from the ACA website, it says it is for a Apex and seems to be 100% correct for any 2006-on coaches.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Dale,

My dash panel already has velcro and is simple to remove. Now all I have to do is find out what is causing the problem. If I turn the chassis battery switch off and then back on, I'm back in business. Something is causing an issue with the PDM outputs (1-5) on bus-2. I never had a blinking light only "no lights" on outputs 1 thru 5. In that situation, I have no dash guages, no dash radio, no auto-retract of the step when the coach is fired up.

Jim
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

I forget, the issue with the screws in the dash cover is only on some Apex's and SE's.

I show buss 1 feeding outputs 1 - 6 turned on by the ignition and buss 2 feeding outputs 7 - 12 powered all of the time.

1 - 6 lights will always be off until the ignition is on. You said that resetting the Vansco cures the problem, is it OK now or do you still have the problem?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Dale,
My bad! I meant to say the first 4 lights (6-9) on buss 2. Someting is, or was tripping those and resetting the Vansco cures the problem. With those off, you have no dash power (guages, rdaio, buzzers) prior to starting the coach. Ignition is still active so you can actually start the coach but guages remain dark. I don't know what has caused them to trip twice and I may have to do a little "on/off" accessory testing while keeping an eye on the Vansco. The previous owner added and spliced in a CB under the dash. Right now, that is my primary suspect.

It's our intention to take the coach on it's maiden weekend voyage Friday afternoon. I plan to do a little more research trial and error during the trip.

Thanks much for your help and advice. I'l keep you posted.
Jim
Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

Is the power LED on for both buss 1 and 2?
Is the "on" LED on for buss 2 when you have the failure?
Are all LEDs #6 thru 9 out when you have the failure?

If the power LED is out when you have the failure, I would check the power lead to the module at both the connector and at the large positive post below the modules.

If the power LED is on when you have the failure and the 7 -12 LEDs are out, I would look for a short or overload on circuit 7 - 12.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Dale,
Power LED's on for both buss 1 & 2
The buss 2 "on" LED is ON when the failure occurs
Lpower LED remain on during failure so, as suggested, I am looking for a short or overload somewhere in the dash wiring.
Jim