Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

HELP!! fishing sat dish wires in ceiling

I am looking at installing my Travler dish and I am trying to identify some of the rats nest in the little cupboard to the right of the tv. I have pulled on the old coax and control wiring on the roof and nothing inside wants to move. I searched on here for any info but found nothing of any help. maybe my search wasn't worded right.

I want to pull new wiring in with the old if possible. I don't want to screw anything up. I also want to avoid drilling any more holes unless it really simplifies things.

Somebody mentioned their wiring was run through a vent and into the a/c duct, sounds cool!!

Thanks again
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

Scott and Bobby, at Amazing Creations/Kustom Coach Works, Junction City, OR, did our Trav'ler installation placing the dish directly behind the kitchen vent/fan and ran the cables through the overhead air conditioning duct to the forward cabinets. Bobby used a regular electrician's snake to pull the cables. Yes, there were some small Styrofoam particles that blew out of the vents for a short period, but I suppose this was to be expected and was really of no consequence. As I mentioned in another post, I totally like the positioning of the Trav'ler because I can visually confirm the entire search and stowing processes of the dish through the vent/fan. There has been no vibration or wind noise with the dish in this location.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

Dick,

Thanks for the response, I'm having a hard time visualizing the install. I've only had the coach since last week end and just got home on Wed., I haven't searched out all the nooks and crannies yet.

Did they enter through the a/c unit on the roof?

How and where did they exit the duct to get behind the tv?

Thanks, Terry
Old 05-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

My antenna was installed near the front. Wires were run to a place near the BR TV and LR TV locations. Hole drilled, and thenwires were fished down to a dead area behind the TV. Winegard supplies with the Travler a cover plate that allows for a water tight seal. Remember you also need to run the control cable from the antenna to the power supply.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #5

The ceiling A/C duct runs the length of the coach--nearly from cap to cap. Seem to remember that owners advise against installing an open-style dish on the front of the roof, above the TV area--potential for wind noise and vibration from the slip-stream over the front cap.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #6

Terry, from where Scott and Bobby mounted the antenna behind the vent, it is just slightly off the roof centerline and they ran the cables the very short distance to the center of the roof and entered the duct from there.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #7

Thanks to all of you for the input. I have my dish mounted behind the kitchen vent and slightly off to the left side. I will probably run the wiring along the roof to the front and enter there through an existing XM(?) antenna hole. It's right above the dead space behind the tv. I have an existing junction box and a hole from the old dish, but I can't get the cables to budge so I can't use that entrance, it's never as simple as that. I'll abandon that hole and cover and seal it.

Dick, it sounds like you have a nice clean install. I'm gonna have to pass on that one though. It's a little out of my comfort range. I hate drilling holes in the roof to begin with and the thought of screwing up something in the ceiling is a little too much.

I know, no guts, no glory......everybody hates a coward.......

Terry
Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

I used the hole from the satellite radio antenna too. Easy to use it. When I had to move the Trav'ler from the front to behind the A/C I spliced the coax. Don't do that!! The connector corroded and failed.

If you need it you can get replacement roof entry cover plates.

Tags
ceiling, dish