Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #1

We are in the wilds of Newfoundland and the gen will not start on our 2001. Flashing code 32, the fuses are ok and get a clicking sound at the gen which may be the fuel pump when trying to start it, but gen doesn't crank. Checked electrical connections as best I can and can't find anything there yet.

Any ideas appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #2

We are in the wilds of Newfoundland and the gen will not start on our 2001. Flashing code 32, the fuses are ok and get a clicking sound at the gen which may be the fuel pump when trying to start it, but gen doesn't crank. Checked electrical connections as best I can and can't find anything there yet.

Any ideas appreciated.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
John - Do you have plenty of diesel and have you tried holding the start button down on the gen itself til it cranks???
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Do you have over 1/4 tank of fuel?
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello John:

Sorry to hear about the Gen problem. I check my Operators manual and the Code 32 is a Low Cranking Speed Fault. (Cranking speed less than 180 rpm for more than 2 seconds) I hope this info helps. I would also try the Boost switch before you attempt a start.

Corrective Action: (per the Book)

1 Replace Fuse F2 (Starter solenoid) if Blown, located Under Access Plate on Gen.
2 Clean and tighten the positive (+) and negative (-) battery cable connections at battery and at gen set.
3 Recharge or replace the battery(ies).
4 Replace engine oil with oil of proper viscosity for the ambient temperature.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #6

Once again Dave is spot on. So here is my clue on root causes: "genset starter is not cranking the genset over": 1) like yr car, the house bats are too low and wont engage the genset starter motor[ie "click click click"]--not sure the boost button will jump the chassis bats back to the house so you may need to jump/charge yr house bats [stand alone charger]; 2) the 12v circuit from yr chassis bats to your genset is corroded somewhere--check both cable ends; or 3) the genset starter motor/module has gone bad. I vote for 1 or 2 as I have not heard of number 3 on this forum....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #7

Sounds like bad connection or low battery.Put a meter on it,check for low voltage.If no meter try jumping the house battery.Your battery boost wont help your situation.Check all terminals for build up and corrosion.Clean terminals,try again. Let us know what happens.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #8

Appreciate all the very fast responses and tips. Neglected to say that I had checked out the code in the book and had checked all the fuses, and the ground and hot wire at the gen and in the battery bay. Could not follow the hot wire all the way to the battery box in case there is a break or rubbing somewhere. Fuel is not an issue as the tank was almost full and I primed the pump when it wouldn't start. Since the gen didn't crank don't believe it is a fuel issue. Will try the battery boost although the engine cranks fine and would think that if it was a battery issue the engine would not crank?

Thanks for everyone's input and will take any additional tips. Won't be near a service center for about 10 days so may have to live with the issue for awhile.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #9

Your coach has two separate battery banks--one bank of two 12v bats in linked in parallel to start your MH engine [chassis bats]; and either four or six 6v bats are linked in a combination of para/series to power your coach [house bats]. If one of these separate banks is low, the battery boost button momentarily links the two banks so power is shared. Your genset is linked to your house bank--accordingly, the fact your MH engine cranks/starts doesnt provide any insight into the status of your house bats....Ref my earlier input, if your genset isnt cranking, I vote for a bad connection or very low house bats--what does your inverter control panel say is the voltage in your house bats?

PS--if the voltage in yr house bats is low, be sure to check/fill the water level [use distilled water] in yr house bats before trying to charge them....
Old 08-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #10

In my 2001 Alpine, the chassis batterys start the generator. In the battery compartment you will also find a generator breaker switch, you might chesk that breaker. The breaker is under the rubber cap on the breaker. Make sure you have a good connection from the batterys to the breaker switch

Fred & Lon Masino
2001 40FDS Alpine Coach
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #11

My bad----I broke my own rule: a 2003 owner should never explain to a 2001 owner how their coach works! Wow--the genset is really connected to the chassis bats on a 2001==go figure?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FRED MASINO:
In my 2001 Alpine, the chassis batterys start the generator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>On our 2000, the gen start off the house batts. Fred's coach might be the exception.

Remember if the house batts are near dead, and won't start the gen, you could always run the chassis engine for some duration, which charges both banks at a fairly high amperage, then eventually attempt to start the gen.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Went to get the coach from storage yesterday. It started up just fine, warmed it up, then tried to start up the genset, because we are having one of our 4 day heat waves, and wanted the A/C's on while driving down the road. It took 5 tries to get it started. Finally, it stayed running, and took off for home. About 1 mile down the road it quit. Got home and tried to start it again, and it just would not go, acted like it was not getting any fuel. Know the filters are good, because the dealer did a genset service (said it happened-on the receipt when we picked up the coach-hmmmm crappy way dealer did PDI, wonder if they really did it), anyway, after reading several comments about misplaced fuel lines, wonder if my genset is in the wrong fuel hookup, because the gauge reads 1/2 full, and it should still run. Once I got it parked in the yard, tried it again, started right up, and ran just fine. Oil and coolant are at proper levels. We are leaving for an overnight jaunt, and will stop for fuel on our way out. If it runs fine with full tank, it must be the fuel pickup is wrong, as the manual states, it will auto shutdown if tank is at 1/4 full or below. Since I am reading more than that, and my mileage does not show more than about 1/2 tank's worth of usage, I think I either have issues with genset, or the above. If I have issues with it, it's going to onan for a check, we need that thing to run when we need it to run.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #14

Monty- Your issue might have been inadequate fuel prime. After setting for enough time there may not be sufficient pressure to the genset fuel injection system. You can press the start/stop button to the stop side for 20-30 seconds before starting after a long rest period to prime the system. If you had air in the lines you may have simply starved the engine for fuel temporarily by injecting air instead of fuel. If it starts & runs now, that would be my guess.