Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

HELP... Ignition problem?

We just got settled and leveled when I noticed my 12V outlet for my GPS wasn't working. I then realized that when I turned the key partway to the start, the step didn't come in, the TV didn't cut out, and none of the lights (wait, and the warning lights) didn't come on. Turning the key backwards works okay because I can do that to turn on the HWH leveling system. My engine batteries show full voltage. What could cause my ignition sequence not to work? I've had the coach 8 years and this has never happened.

More info: The engine starts but none of the instruments work. It may be a loose ground? Is there a fuse for the dash? If so, where?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Your 05 has the Vansco wiring system--when in doubt, shut off the chassis bat switch to kill/reset the Vansco modules, then turn switch back on. Cant explain it but everyone recommends it,,,,good luck.....a

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Your 05 has the Vansco wiring system--when in doubt, shut off the chassis bat switch to kill/reset the Vansco modules, then turn switch back on.
What's the procedure for doing this? Do I need to unplug from shore power? Do I need to turn off the inverter? Do I need to turn everything off in the coach? Or, can I just leave everything as is and shut off the chassis batteries and that will reset the Vansco module?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

as you describe it--we are taking 12v power supply to the vansco modules....shutting off the chassis bat switch for a short period of time does this. Shore power, converter, etc. are not an issue for this procedure. Hopefully a vansco-owner will chime in and explain it. In the meantime try it--it cant hurt. If this doesnt clear it up, there are a number of threads on instru panel grounding and faults.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

I had a simular problem resently. You can read thru my tread below "Dead Caoch Help".

My issue was, coach wouldnt start, no power to my levelers and generator slide would not work and maybe some other stuff?

It ended up being my front VMM (Vansco Multiplexing Module). It had lost the program or just failed all together. The power LED was on but I had no other LED's on which told me the unit was not communicating anymore.

Search the treads for "Dead Coach". Wayne R posted some pictures of his VMM's looked like with the the eginition key off and on and this was a huge help for me.

D.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #6

Thanks to all! I reset the chassis batteries (turned the switch off and on) and that fixed the problem.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #7

I lied. It fixed the symptom, but not the problem.

My GPS 12V cable went bad and I thought it was the bad cable that was causing the 12V outlet and "ready" lights on the dash to go out. This thought was reinforced when I plugged the GPS 12V cable into my car outlet and blew a fuse. Rand McNally is sending me a new one.

However, before we left our last location, I plugged in my tire monitor, and it worked fine. I saw all the tires were good, so I unplugged the monitor. A few minutes later I went to start the engine and none of the "ready" lights lit up and the 12V outlet was dead. I had to reset the Vansco system to get things working again.

Obviously, something related to the 12V plugin is causing the problem. I was told it might be a bad ground. As long as I don't plug anything into the 12V outlet, everything works fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts on a solution?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Remove the passenger side access panel, and check the wiring for that connection, my guess is a lose wire in it, it's bad (they do fail), or a bad connection to that unit. It is fairly easy to access everything under that point of the dashboard, from that removed panel. Mine has Velcro to keep it in place with the screws holding it in once you have put it back into position. Let us know what is wrong.

To be safe, turn the master switches off, because way back in there on the passengers side is a huge 50A DC connection from the back of the coach, it can hurt you if you hit it by accident.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Remove the passenger side access panel, and check the wiring for that connection, my guess is a lose wire in it, it's bad (they do fail), or a bad connection to that unit.
Took off the panel (it's velcro only)... saw LOTS of big plugs with lots of wires... two Vansco panels... no way this lay person can tell what's going on... or off

I'm hoping I can duplicate the problem when I go to the RV service place.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #10

Anybody know who can diagnose the Vansco system?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
My 2005 Alpine Coach would not start at all. I have enclosed an attachment showing the fuse block at the back of the battery compartment. I removed the fuses (one at a time) and used electrical cleaner spray and a wood tooth pick to burnish the contacts. I replaced each fuse as I went. When finished the coach started and all has been OK since. There was a lot of corrosion at the fuse connections.
Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Installed - JPG 3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	46950  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
My 2005 Alpine Coach would not start at all. I have enclosed an attachment showing the fuse block at the back of the battery compartment. I removed the fuses (one at a time) and used electrical cleaner spray and a wood tooth pick to burnish the contacts. I replaced each fuse as I went. When finished the coach started and all has been OK since. There was a lot of corrosion at the fuse connections.
Good Luck.