Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

On a recent trip from Arizona to San Diego my air bags deflated. I had to drive about 30 minutes until I could stop. Thanks to this forum I discovered the problem and resolved it. However, that 30 min drive created enough vibration to cause the coil in my refrigerator ( Amana electric) to rub against it's frame and produced a hole that allowed the freon to escape.
The service tech has told me that he needs to connect an air dryer (sic), fill up the coils with a dye to determine where the hole is. I told him I can pinpoint the area of the hole because when the freon escaped it produced ice at that location.
In all honesty, I don't really trust this guy and am wondering if this is the only solution.
My wife wants to replace the unit. I am aware of the headache involved in switching out the units through the side window. If I put a new unit in do I have to figure out a way to bolt it through the floor ? What if I don't do that ?
Your input will be most appreciated.
Thank you

chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
I wouldn't install a fridge that wasn't bolted down
Can't help you on the freon leak except to say if somebody knows where the leak is I can't think why that would be good to ignore.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Find another service tech. If he's not bright enough to see where the line rubbed, wouldn't let him fix it. The leak should have also produced an oil residual at leak. Another way to find the leak is to put in a small amount of nitrogen into the system and use an electronic detector to find the leak. There should be enough residual freon for the detector to pick it up The tech will need to solder on a service valve to add the nitrogen, pull a vacuum, and recharge the system.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
I can imagine how harsh that ride must have been. It's nice to know thought that a person can continue if necessary at least for a short distance to get service, or out of a busy area.
On your fridge think I'd look around and see if you could find someone who works out of his garage. My experience is these independent guys are more willing to work with you to fix a unit like yours. I've fixed several refrigerators myself and I have found there are some fridges that develop leaks in certain places that just can't be repaired. That said there also is some pretty neat epoxy patching materiel to fix a leak, thus eliminating the need to solder. Then the system will need to have the usual recharge.
Good luck in your hunt to find a fix for your frig.

94 Monaco Sig m11 elect fuel inj
95 Jeep toad
Loren Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Chris I went down this same road with our Amana frid a few years ago. Amana has a 5 year warrantee on the freon system but once out of warrantee, you are pretty well screwed. The challenge is finding someone honest who is willing to work on a frid these days. And if you do, the cost is often prohibitative. Assuming you can find the leak, assuming there is only one leak, and not more around the corner [how many places did it rub?], the system can be patched either internally or externally [depending on the nature/size of the leak]. My repair guy used an internal leak-stop but it took several years after the initial repair for my frig to finally stop the slow leak that remaind [I had to do an annual DIY and add freon].

However they decide to fix the leak[s], they'll need to intall a schreader valve, evac the system and install new freon. By that time you are half-way to a new frig [with a new warrantee]. Depending on RV door size, I have heard you can take the doors off the old and new frids and this may allow for departure/reentry thru the Rv door. Good luck--there aren't many good solutions here--IMHO....
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Chris, I agree w/Old Scout that there are few good answers. I have had three frigs including the original. Mine is a Dometic, but there was no way to remove or install through the door. The WRV factory took a full 8 hrs, a Fresno repair shop did it in under 3 through the side window.

Paul "Sully" Sullivan

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
make sure you look at the tell shaft of the allison trans if you have one

the vibration was made by the drive shaft and i am sure you well have more to fix
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Thanks everyone for all your help. I called 5 servicemen who all said."Buy a new one" I've resigned myself to that so now I need to find out which one ?
Has anyone replaced the Amana side by side?

chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote