Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

I'm getting ready to leave for the Alpine SoCal rally in Yucaipa in a few hours. Went to get the coach from storage and I noticed the battery read only 1/2 charge whereas yesterday it read 3/4 charge. Yesterday morning I turned on the refrigerator (propane) to be cold today. Nothing else was on and the inverter off when I left yesterday. Shut off both power switches, and the lights on the Vansco went out when I shut off the chassis switch. Today, in addition to the 1/2 charged reading on the batteries, when I shut off the rear switch at the battery compartment the Vansco lights stayed on. What's going on??? Do I dare leave for Yucaipa with this condition. I leave in a few hours and drive approx. 1 1/2- 2 hrs. and will be hooked up to shore power when I get there. Help!.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #2

I'm getting ready to leave for the Alpine SoCal rally in Yucaipa in a few hours. Went to get the coach from storage and I noticed the battery read only 1/2 charge whereas yesterday it read 3/4 charge. Yesterday morning I turned on the refrigerator (propane) to be cold today. Nothing else was on and the inverter off when I left yesterday. Shut off both power switches, and the lights on the Vansco went out when I shut off the chassis switch. Today, in addition to the 1/2 charged reading on the batteries, when I shut off the rear switch at the battery compartment the Vansco lights stayed on. What's going on??? Do I dare leave for Yucaipa with this condition. I leave in a few hours and drive approx. 1 1/2- 2 hrs. and will be hooked up to shore power when I get there. Help!.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

If you shut off both switches, does the Vansco lights go out? If this was my coach and it will start and everything works OK, I would go. I assume that the low charge readings you are getting are from the tank monitor gage. This is a poor indicator of actual battery condition of the house batteries, but they probably need a charge. The drive to the park will probably charge them and then you will be on shore power.

As to the Vansco, my main concern would not be, lights on, but any output lights flashing. The Vansco modules should be powered down when the chassis power switch is shut off, but I have found some interconnections between the two battery banks that I didn't think should be there.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #4

That's what tipped me off is that the lights don't go out, no lights flashing, but everything was working. The only guage that reads low is the battery guage up against the inverter with the tank guages. I'm hoping the 2 hour run to Yucaipa will put a good charge on the batteries and all will be solved. Unfortunately the coach has had to sit unused all summer because of a health issue. I do start and run the engine and run the generator under load regularly, but I know there is no substitute for DRIVING the coach! I'll report back later today after I get there and I get hooked up to shore power. Unfortunately the storage yard I use has no place to hook up a trickle charger. Thanks for the note.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #5

Well, the problem solved itself. I talked to Casey and Keith at Redlands Truck and RV and he offered some thoughts that appear to have proved out. They thought that simply running the engine for an hour a month was inadequate to keep the batteries up, even with a small solar charger. They felt the batteries had simply gotten badly discharged and needed DRIVING to fully charge, or a trickle charger (but there is no electric where I store the coach). As for the Vansco (I don't fully understand this part) they felt that the solenoid and switch had sat too long and might have built up some crud, especially from the coastal air where I live..and that driving would probably knock it loose. Well- we drove about two hours to Yucaipa and what do you know: the batteries showed 3/4+ on the charge guage (and we will be on shore power for the next 3 days), so I expect they will be fully charged by the time we leave. And..the rear switch at the batteries is now working, and the Vansco shuts down when the switch is shut off!

Moral of the story: There is NO SUBSTITUTE for driving these coaches. Keith said get it out of storage at least once a month and drive 30 miles out and 30 back if you can't go on a real trip. Of course if you have full time shore power and/or a trickle charger that isn't necessary to keep the electrical system up, but I'm sure it will be good for all the other systems.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - I don't think just starting these things up and letting them run is good for the engine and tranny. If you cannot take them out at least 30 and 50 miles - 50 is better - then leave them sit, and put a charger on the batteries. For extended storage, I recommend a good fuel additive be added to the tank prior to filling it up. I have talked to cummings, and that is their suggestion. Mechanical things need to be used or they don't want to work well after sitting for a long time, plus the seals will get hard, crack and then you have leaks. IMHO.