Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Help with elect control panel. New first time owner

We just bought a 40 ft mid entry 2003 Alpine. Never having owned an RV before it looks like we are in out of our depth. The owners manual seems pretty generic so we have a ton of questions. All of which have probably already been answered somewhere on this forum before.My apologies. I'll start with an easy one.
Right now I have the coach inside and plugged in to 50 amp power.We won't be using it for a couple weeks. On the electric control panel it says "ProSine 2.0. 2000watt inverter-charger" What position should the switches be in when plugged in and when traveling? They are both on "enable" now.And the standby lights are lit. Is that correct? I won't be able to change the settings for at least the next week.
Thanks,
Jim and Sue

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

The ProSine inverter is an after-market installation that replaced the mod-sine wave Freedom Combi that came with the coach. Hopefully, an owner with the same inverter will chime in here but in general, these higher-end inverters are fairly automatic. Charger should be in "on" position while on shore power or genset; inverter doesn't/shouldn't matter while on shore/genset as incoming 120v power is by-passed to inverter circuit in coach. When off shore power and not on genset, inverter should be in "on" position to produce 120v power from bats; again, charger position shouldn't matter as no 120v power is going to inverter/charger unit.
PS--the 03 was a great model year for Alpines [IMHO]----enjoy it!!!

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

You have a lot of homework. The charger / inverter charges your batteries (charger) and inverts the 12v power of the batteries into 110 if you want to plug into your battery power (inverter). Shore plug will charge the batteries. When you're not plugged into shore power or generator, batteries will provide 12v power and inverter lets you draw 2000 watts of 110 power. However you'll drain your batteries quick so you need to recharge every day or few days with shore power, generator or solar. Don't overestimate what batteries can do. You need a big bank of batteries to run everything. We rely on a generator to both run 110 (shore chord) and keep batteries charged for 12v (led lights, water pump, thermostat are all 12v. Tv, microwave, ac and sockets run on 110). Hopefully your coach is wired as well as mine so everything works pretty automatically. I've never changed a setting on my inverter. It does it all by itself - keeps batteries charged when we provide a power source and it's there for 110 power if I need it. So far I've never needed 110 from the inverter because we use shore power or a generator most every day. If you go solar you'll pay more attention to inverters because the batteries will become the main power source on solar. To start, make sure your batteries are getting a good charge and holding a good charge. Learn what operates from battery power. Then make a plan for your main power source- for 110 and for charging batteries. You need either shore power at at an rv park, a generator or a solar system. The next challenge is to calculate your power needs so you know what size generator or how much solar you need.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Many thanks. I feel better about leaving it for a week now.
I have a few other problems that will need to be addressed before our first camping trip. Does anyone know of an RV repair facility in the northern Illinois area that is versed in Alpine repair?
Jim
Alpine coach #74692
Old 05-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, welcome to the IRV2, Alpine forum, there is a large amount of information here. If you have an issue, first do a search, most everything that can happen has been touched on at least once in prior threads. One word of caution, WRV did things a bit differently then other manufacturers, so you need to be careful when you get a reply to a question. Owners of some other brand (SOB's) are trying to help, but many times you get lead astray, as I said WRV did things different. You best advise is from another Alpine owner that has a coach close to your year and model. I see you have a 2003 40' mid entry. WRV made major changes in their products starting in model year 2005 (late 2004 production) when they switched to Vansco. Your coach is pre 2005 so just watch that any Alpine owner is making suggestions based on your 2003. Good luck and enjoy your "new to you" coach.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

Get familiar with your water / plumbing and make sure it all works!
Old 05-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
jkrenz ...

Old Scout & I are 2 - examples of owners with the year coach although mine is a front door model. Please feel free to PM me anytime with questions. I'm pretty sure Old Scout wouldn't mind either. There's a lot to learn about maintaining your coach even though 2003 was one of the simplest models before WRV started modernizing them in 2004.

The first maintenance items for traveling should be engine, transmission, tires, & batteries. If you didn't get any maintenance records with the coach then I suggest taking it to Cummins or Freightliner in your area and get it serviced with a full inspection. The batteries & tires last about 6 - years (IMO) so check dates and replace if necessary. I think you'll find that any reputable RV service center can work on your coach. I would check around for opinions and what's available since no 2 - Cummins or Freightliner dealers are the same. Hopefully, someone from your area will chime in here with any good experiences.

Welcome aboard!!!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Get the brake fluid flushed too. Make sure they remove the back tires to they can get to all the bleeders. This is something that needs to be done every few years.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Help.New first time owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
You have a lot of homework. The charger / inverter charges your batteries (charger) and inverts the 12v power of the batteries into 110 if you want to plug into your battery power (inverter). Shore plug will charge the batteries. When you're not plugged into shore power or generator, batteries will provide 12v power and inverter lets you draw 2000 watts of 110 power. However you'll drain your batteries quick so you need to recharge every day or few days with shore power, generator or solar. Don't overestimate what batteries can do. You need a big bank of batteries to run everything. We rely on a generator to both run 110 (shore chord) and keep batteries charged for 12v (led lights, water pump, thermostat are all 12v. Tv, microwave, ac and sockets run on 110). Hopefully your coach is wired as well as mine so everything works pretty automatically. I've never changed a setting on my inverter. It does it all by itself - keeps batteries charged when we provide a power source and it's there for 110 power if I need it. So far I've never needed 110 from the inverter because we use shore power or a generator most every day. If you go solar you'll pay more attention to inverters because the batteries will become the main power source on solar. To start, make sure your batteries are getting a good charge and holding a good charge. Learn what operates from battery power. Then make a plan for your main power source- for 110 and for charging batteries. You need either shore power at at an rv park, a generator or a solar system. The next challenge is to calculate your power needs so you know what size generator or how much solar you need.

Jim, in 2003 your coach came with 4 batteries in the house bank and 2 in the chassis bank, if your batteries are in good condition you can expect them to last several days, depending upon the usage. I have a 2005 with a residential refer, when my house batteries (there are 6) are new I can go 3-4 days before I need to recharge. Set up, if not already done, the AGS (automatic generator start) and quiet hours. Also if you have the optional solar charger that will help to keep the batteries up.

Old scout and bcbowers are excellent sources of information, they both have the same year coach you have so most things are the same, WRV just made the frame longer, or shorter.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #10

If I may add my 2 cents to the go to list when it comes to your year Alpine Coach. Old Scout,Engineer Mike,Dave Fernandez,bcbowers,Algoma and Wolfe10.These folks are the best I know when I had any issues with my 2003. Hopefully your 2003 will serve you as well as mine has.Best wishes and safe travels.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #11

Thanks for the advice and all the offers of help, I'm going to need it. (Sorry I didn't reply sooner we were on a fishing trip for a week with my 92 YO father.)
Several more questions need answers but I'll search the forum first before posting them.

Tags
panel