Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #1

I THINK I have a problem with either the transfer switch or my 2000W Heart Inverter. I am not getting 110V into coach either with generator running or with shore power. BUT, the receptacles next to passenger seat, the refrigerator, and two at head of bed are live. Do these bypass everything? If I turn on inverter breaker (on 110 panel) when plugged in, with inverter on at it's control panel, 110 goes off in coach. If I leave circuit breaker off, inverter works to supply 110 to the usual circuits. I am leaving inverter breaker in inverter 110 panel on. I am not able to charge batteries either from generator or cord. What's up? Anybody!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #2

I THINK I have a problem with either the transfer switch or my 2000W Heart Inverter. I am not getting 110V into coach either with generator running or with shore power. BUT, the receptacles next to passenger seat, the refrigerator, and two at head of bed are live. Do these bypass everything? If I turn on inverter breaker (on 110 panel) when plugged in, with inverter on at it's control panel, 110 goes off in coach. If I leave circuit breaker off, inverter works to supply 110 to the usual circuits. I am leaving inverter breaker in inverter 110 panel on. I am not able to charge batteries either from generator or cord. What's up? Anybody!

Old 11-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #3

Did you press the 'red' button by mistake?. To reactivate inverter, push AND HOLD reset at the inverter.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I plug in from shore power or gen operates the transfer switch will have aloud click when it operates. After loosing transfer switch this summer I had to manually operate it by pushing in switches, that push power into coach. If you open cover on TS you can push switchs in to see if this is the case. The inverter will supply 110 to ckts working off it from batteries. Has nothing to do with transfer funtion, your switch maybe defective. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:11 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome George:

Sorry to hear about the problems. I think it may be the Transfer Switch. If you have some mechanical/electrical knowledge I would check the transfer switch. Remember when checking the transfer switch it will be hot at times and you should treat it as if it were hot all of the time. Remember Safety First! If you not sure take it to an electrician or RV Repair facility. I would remove the cover of the switch and check the power coming in and going out. I would also check the operation of the Relay's in the transfer switch. If they are working properly then I would down the line to the Inverter and 120 Volt power panel.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #6

George,

If you have 110v at the outlets NOT powered by the inverter (refrigerator) the problem is NOT the transfer switch - it's the inverter. The inverter has a set of internal relays to either "pass-thru" shore/generater 110V or provide 110V from the inverter (12V DC to 110V AC). Also, if you have partial 110V but are unable to charge batteries that further points to the inverter/charger.

Try resetting the inverter by pressing the reset button on the inverter. If that doesn't work you might try disconnecting the 12v DC inverter fuse in the battery compartment for 5+ minutes to do a power-down reset.

If resetting doesn't cure the problem give Xantrex/Hart a call. Info at: http://www.xantrex.com.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #7

Normally the inverter allows shore or generator power to pass through. If it fails to do so, then only the 120vac outlets powered by inverter will be hot, all other 120vac circuits will be dead. So all the time this is gong on the batteries are discharging feeding the inverter. Depending on inverter brand/model the remendy is to reset the inverter via the reset button or remove one side of the DC to inverter for a few minutes and allow it to lose memory and reset the inverter fault code.
BT
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I notice the original question wasn't answered fully. The outlets you mention (plus the dining table light and the bedroom lights in our '01) are fed directly -- from the transfer switch. Hence they'll only be live if plugged into shore or gen power.

I believe Alpine Maker is correct, that your inverter's changeover relay isn't.

Good luck!
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #9

George,

I am on my 4th Onan inverter and have had the same
circuits work when on shore power after the inverter fried. I don't know why this circuit works when no other does, probably PFM.

Pure .....Magic!

Sully
Old 11-29-2005, 03:52 PM   #10

George:
Just to add my two cents: I had that problem our 00 and our 03 coaches. I put up with it on the 00 cause it only happened occasionally. However on the 03 it happened ever other time I transfered power. I found the trouble to be the transfer switch "inside" of the Inverter. I decided because of this problem and the fact that the Heart Interface inverter was a cheap inverter, that is it is a square wave and not a true sine wave, that I would buy a Zantrax pure sine wave machine. I did and now no transfer problems and we have power just like at home.