Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Hendersons safety plus steering

Am heading into Oregon and was wondering if anyone has had hendersons put on a safety plus steering unit on their Alpine Coach... Pros and Cons and would you do it again..?

Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
I lived in Grants Pass for over 35 years and have had many dealings with Henderson's. Most recently, they did the steering box 'fix'. They are very fussy about things and I feel confident that the job will be done with your full satisfaction. Although they are good, they do charge for their services!

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I can only comment on what it did for my Itasca 40FD DP... it's outstanding and Heanderson's is an outstanding outfit to do business with. Ironically, I attended a seminar this morning conducted by Robert Henderson here at The Rally in Louisville. In 2007 I took my nearly new coach to Grant's Pass and had them to the Road Test Assessment with me and it served as a great starting place on what to do to improve things I didn't like about the handling.

RTAs cost $150 but it's really money well spent unless you're already conviced you want the safe t plus for safety reasons and are happy with the handling of your coach.

I ended up with the Safe T Plus, new Super Steer bell crank, Motion Control Units and steering gear adjustment and couldn't be happier with it. I find no cons with the Safe T Plus... except that when I bought mine they didn't have the "trim kit" which allows it to be adjusted from the cockpit on the fly. It's now available and on my wish list.

Good luck, you've made a good choice.
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
They have worked on my rig before as I had the motion control units installed and am not concerned about their work, I am only checking on the Safe T Plus steering units..thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #5

We had a Safe T Plus Steering stabilzer put on our 2006 Alpine by Redland Truck Service in 2009 and have put about 12,000 miles on it since. They also did the motion control units at the same time. We found a big difference in driver fatigue as a result of the Safe-T-Plus; just don't get as tired driving it in the day because we're not fighting the little movements needed in the wheel all day, especially in side winds and trucks passing us. I have found I can drive farther in a day as a result of installing it, and I think it was more valuable than the motion control units on the airbags.

The one thing you will notice that turning the steering wheel when going around a corner at any speed takes more effort, especially when you're going down the freeway and have a good bend in the road. It's not a great amount of pressure, but the lateral forces (like G forces), need a little more effort to make the wheel turn than they did otherwise. That said, it does reduce driver fatigue.

We installed it because of the concern over the steering box, which we subsequently repaired in Junction City at Carrier and Sons, and with concern about front tire blowout, but as others, like Basil Shannon has said, don't cause a great deal of pull anyway in Alpines. So I would say I wouldn't install one for a front tire blowout concern; just for reduced driver fatigue and better control in sidewinds.
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
I had the safe t plus installed at Hendersons so will see how it goes .. does not require hanging onto the steering wheel as much and tracks pretty straight. will see how it does in the wind and ruts..Mel
Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
I don't know anything about the safe-t-plus but I do know that you will be happy with the work that Henderson does/did and if you need help down the road they are easy to find and very responsive.

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote