Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #1

HH hot water question

I've noticed that when I leave the Hydro Hot electric element on over night, in the morning, the water coming out of the kitchen faucet in the cold position is quite warm for 15 or 20 seconds. Any thoughts on how this could be??
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #2

Could be the cold feed line is routed next to the HH heater line for a short distance, and the initial call for cold water clears that radiated heat.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Are you in a location that's HOT?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Check the hot and cold water valves on your outside shower and make sure they're turned off. Some folks turn the water off at the shower head and leave them on. If you do, it provides a path for the hot water to naturally convect through the facet to the cold water side and begin to fill the cold water pipes with hot water.

Ron.
RogerBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

OK Ron, I'll bite. So do you mean that in addition to the actual faucets in the utility compartment, there are on/off valves on the hot and cold lines? I assume they would be soemwhere behind the panel. Can they be reached when that center panel is removed?
Thanks.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
David:

Ron is talking about the shower head faucet in the utility bay. Some folks turn the dial on the shower head itself off, but fail to turn off the hot and cold handles. The heat then travels into the cold water side.

I would never make that mistake. My shower head leaks like a sieve when off, but now it doesn't even slow the water down. One of these years I might even remember to replace the thing.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #7

Gotcha - I don't even have the hose and "faucet" attached. I'll make sure the knobs are snugged down.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
David - depending on which model HH unit you have, will determine how the tank hot water lines are run. Some tanks had the copper line wrapped around them, and some actually have a heat exchanger inside the tank. We sometimes get the same thing, but we turn the element off during the night why waste the electricity, and it about 10 minutes before it's hot again, as the system holds heat quite well all night long, now if you are also using the element for heat for the coach, then that is another story. I would not worrry about it, is' normal for ours.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water