Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HID Headlight Installation

I recently purchased HID's to install on our Apex and after installation found that the Lo beams flicker when coach is in drive and lights are off. Sometimes the windshield wipers will activate,but only one cycle then stop when the ignition key is turned on. I ordered the error code eliminators thinking that this was the issue and found it had no effect and now when I turn on the lights, they flicker on and off continuously. I'm thinking that a relay may need to be installed and am seeking input and recommendations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Well, I know this is going to stir up a bunch of controversy, so stay tuned and here goes.

I am not a fan of people installing aftermarket HID lights in headlight assemblies that are not designed for them.

I have 2 cars with HID lights from the factory and they are terrific.

However, I am often blinded by vehicles that did not come with HID where someone "upfitted" them into headlights that are not capable of properly directing the light so that it does not blind oncoming traffic.

The true fix for Alpine headlights is to replace the aging BMW E39 housing with a new quality aftermarket headlight housing AND to install the new housings correctly.

New housings properly installed with good bulbs will give you good night vision without blinding fellow drivers.

There. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #3

Agree 100%^^^^
Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I went with the DEPO E39 lights. Plug and play. I wanted the updated "angel eyes" but elected to keep it simple. The DEPO's are made in Taiwan and are of high quality. I'm using 303 on them for UV protection.

Depo
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Getting back to the orig. question.
Do you normally have driving lights?
Some coaches run the driving lights at a lower intensity (lower voltage).
When you say the lights flicker when you put it into drive, it makes me think this is the problem.

Measure the voltage going into the ballasts when the lights are flickering.
I assume with headlight switch on, they work fine.

One option is a relay that is controlled directly from the headlight switch.
the N.O. contacts would be used to kill power to the lo-beams until you turned on your headlights.

If you want your driving lights to still function, then a little more circuitry is needed.

Regrds,

Dan
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Casper, while the Apex may be different from our Limited, and I'll let an Apex owner comment specifically. About 7 years ago I gave up polishing my headlights on our Limited and bought the Depot E39 replacements. They fit, although I had to drag the height adjustment holes, but that was a problem from day 1. Search prior threads, there has been a LOT of discussion about headlight replacements and adjustment over the years.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dan,
The high beam and low beam are separate lights. Its the low beams that flicker so your theory of lower voltage is probably correct and a relay is needed. And yes the flicker disappears when headlights are turned on.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper124 View Post
Dan,
The high beam and low beam are separate lights. Its the low beams that flicker so your theory of lower voltage is probably correct and a relay is needed. And yes the flicker disappears when headlights are turned on.
OK, Here is the first thing I would consider, assuming that you don't mind losing your Daytime Running lights.

If both left & right LB are connected together, you need one relay, if they are separate, you need two relays.

Under the dash, you can find a wire from the headlight switch which goes hot when you turn on your headlights. Use this wire to drive the relay coils.

Cut the wire that feeds your LB filament (now your ballast).
Using the N.O. contacts, repair that cut. Now the LB are disconnected until you turn on the headlight switch, then the normal connection is returned.

To still have DRL, one option is get some of the LED Driving light strips. They should work at 9v or so. Connect them to the open terminal on the relay (N.C.). They will work as before, and turn off when headlights are activated.

I can provide a schematic if you need more info.

Regards,

Dan

Tags
install, light