Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #1

I am planning to go from Las Vegas and hit I-40 heading east. The choice is to take the shorter route across Hoover Dam on 93 versus taking the longer 95 south and across at Laughlin with the semis. Has anybody taken their coach across the dam? I know the traffic jam is bad and an inspection is necessary for RV's. Would I be just was well off taking 95?

We toured the dam in December, so seeing the dam is not important on this trip.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #2

I am planning to go from Las Vegas and hit I-40 heading east. The choice is to take the shorter route across Hoover Dam on 93 versus taking the longer 95 south and across at Laughlin with the semis. Has anybody taken their coach across the dam? I know the traffic jam is bad and an inspection is necessary for RV's. Would I be just was well off taking 95?

We toured the dam in December, so seeing the dam is not important on this trip.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #3

We went over the dam May of 2005 and did not have a problem. They were building a bridge to bypass the dam then,(we think). It did not take long, they did come in our coach and look around and open all the basment doors, but it was quick.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I've traveled both ways several times. I'd guess there's about a 20 minute time savings over the dam.....assuming only normal waits for construction. It's a big pull up the other side from Laughlin. I prefer the dam route, just so I can keep tabs on the new construction.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #5

Been across the dam many times, They look in compartments, but never any hold up. there is construction s. of dam. havent been there in a couple of months though. good Luck
Old 09-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the opinions on crossing the dam. I think I will give that a shot when we head that direction later this month.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

I don't know if you will get this soon enough, but John & I just went across the dam last month, and got through very quickly. We were across pretty early in the morning, before the tourists were blocking everything, but by later this month, those folks should be mostly gone. If you hit it when there are a lot of tourists around, it can take a bit longer to cross the dam. The inspection is very quick, so not really much of a delay.

The other consideration is that trucks are not allowed to cross the dam, for the most part, which means they all go down 95. Since they can't cross the dam, you don't have the delay trucks cause on the windy road thru the dam area.Therefore, I would also suggest you go by way of the dam on 93.

Hope this helps!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #8

Hi Gail,

I got the message in time. I have been convinced to go over the dam. I would like to think we will go across early in the morning, but knowing how that usually works out....

Thanks!