Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Horns don't sound off

Our 2003 FDTS40 40' horns have recently quit working..

The fuse in the "not switched" fuse box is blown. The resistance of the fuse output pin to ground is .7 ohms which seems close to a short?

I have assumed that the horns are air not electric? The schematic that I have shows a wire from the fuse to the "horn solenoid" and stops there.
The solenoid could be either an air solenoid valve or an electrical solenoid/relay for electric horns.
The horns on the roof appear to be as from the factory and I can't see what connects to them!
Anyone have more specific information?
Where is the noted solenoid located?
I don't use them very often but when I tried to be friendly with another Alpine couple on the hwy. I couldn't return the jesture.

Any and all information would be GREATLY appreciated

Ray Jeske
jeskehomes@sti.net

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

They are air horns and the solenoid position varied from model to model and year to year. On mine it is at the rear of the cabinet above the dashboard hidden in the insulation. Hopefully someone with an '03 can help point out where else it might be.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
HELP! THIS is a major problem for me.

I have verified horn relay operation with voltage to the fuse when the horn button is depressed.
BUT I cannot locate the air solenoid!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any idea where the air line/tube comes down from the roof????????

That might give me a clue where the solenoid is located. If the short is in the wiring I can rewire from the fuse to the solenoid. Or if the solenoid is bad then I can replace it.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The solenoid should be under the dash on the drivers side just above the accelerator peddle.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I think the air line comes down thru the center pillar at the windshield.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #6

My guess is the solenoid is in the overhead just left of the tv.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious if you replaced the fuse yet?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks everyone
It blows a new fuse!
I think that I have found the tube going to the horns coming into the tv box and going down in the w/s center post. It comes out and goes up to the left and then down behind a merid of heating ducts and wire bundles. I can't follow it from there. I took the instrument dash loose and the tube heads down....and I can no longer feel it or see it.
I have looked all over with no luck. I have taken a couple dozen pictures with my Galaxy 3 under the dash etc. and I can't see it. Next are the .steering column plastic covers.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #9

On at least 06's and later the solenoid is right behind the steering column on the firewall, maybe a foot off the floor.
On late 03's I'm suspecting its in that same location. Looking on the ACA Tech Library's Leoni Wiring diagrams, specifically MainCab Harness 1of2 7.02.tif, I'm seeing "HORN SOLENOID" 2-wire loom turn-out, right middle 1/3 of the drawing just right of THROTTLE and just left of the CB Radio circuit. Turn-out is only 12" so its gotta be somewhere in that vicinity.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
First...THANKS EVERYONE....I FOUND THE horn air SOLENOID! On my 2003 40', it is located to the right of the foot throttle control behind a section of carpet that you have to pull down at floor level & is just hanging there on the air tubes.
THE solenoid IS shorted! There is CONTINUITY to the "horn fuse" too with no short to ground.
Engineer Mike. Thanks again as I had the schematics from you, but didn't know about the dwg list.
I copied several and you are right on the main cab harness giving a close place for the solenoid to be located.

Pushing my luck... I have never been able to locate the inverter in/on the coach?? I have found the "echo charger". Where would/could it be on my 2003 40'?
&/or.. what harness dwg would show it? The schematics don't help me always in locating
things.
You have been a great help to me..Thank you again
Ray
Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #11

The inverter should show on the Owner's Manual schematics that came in the back of the Manual. If you don't have one, check the Tech Library.
That schematic won't be as kind in estimating a location for the inverter, as its only a schematic, i.e. what hooks to what.
Somebody w/an 03-40 will chime in I hope.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #12

OK--for early 03s [40'], the inverter is on a shelf near the ceiling of the basement compartment in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Think later 03 put the inverter amid-ships, on the floor, in the same compartment but surrounded it with gray fabric covered plywood box--which by the way can casue an air flow / cooling issue. Gotta say--the inverter is a pretty big box and the aforementioned compartment aint that big--its gotta be there.
PS--shorter length 03 models have the inverter in a wall compartment in the bedroom bulkhead. Dont think any 40' have that arrangement but then again.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
OS - I don't know if my '03 is considered "later" (VIN 74716) but you're right on in your description. My Freedom 458 let out all of that magic smoke during the winter and I replaced it with a Freedom SW2012. I had to cut away atleast 1/2 of that carpeted paneling because the SW2012 is somewhat bigger. I remember thinking "doesn't all this paneling cause heat to build up?". I only kept some of the paneling in place to help prevent objects being stored in that compartment from possibly falling into the Inverter and causing a problem.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Bob: My 40' is 74777 which I assume was just after yours.
I do have well carpeted box in the same area. That must be it?
I will look later. I have to get the horns working and install the repaired BU monitor first.
Ray