Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #15

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
The last few days, our Shurflo 5.7 pump (#5) quit pumping but flow could be restored by cycling power. I found it running constantly and too hot to touch. I put in my spare (#6) which does the same thing but is also very noisey. Is it possible that the output of the pump has found a path back to the tank due to a bad check valve and therefore does not build up pressure and shut off?

Pump problems are a crisis for the Apex because all water is pumped from the tank, ie no city water. No pump, no water period.

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #16

B- I run all water off the pump also. When I installed the Vagabond RO system, I noticed the pump cycling every few seconds. My coach has two diverter valves: City/Tank-Fill and Filter/Filter-Bypass. incoming water goes thru hose connection, then F/FB valve then C/TF valve. The cheap compression type bypass valves leak internally, allowing house pressure to escape around the valve stop inside the valve housing. I installed a John Guest 1/2" o.d. check valve between the two valves and it cut my pump cycling to a minimal amount (maybe every 8 minutes it bumps a few times). I still have one of these buggers leaking someplace, but it is a small nuisance now, and all internal. Sounds like you may have a larger leak causing pump to run past its duty cycle.

You can get the JGuest valves online or in a well stocked plumbery, or you can get a brass body check valve under the SharkBite brand name at HD or Lowes. I had to get some 90 degree bends & coupling and a short length of pipe to make a goose neck assembly to fit the check valve into the tight pipe matrix behind the utility panel to make it fit neatly. Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #17

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Thanks Mike. Since we have no water without the pump, I hooked a water hose directly to the line that formally came out of the pump to get us by until I can untangle this mess. Later, I will add a city water connection in the service bay to connect in downstream of the pump as a pump failure back-up plan. This is a design flaw in the Apex.

I know I have check valve problems. For instance, at times, when the city water hose is not connected to city water, the pump will pump water out of the city water hose past the check valve that is supposed to prevent it. I have to connect to city water or install the plug in the hose. Like you, I need to add some more check valves but need to figure out where. As I read my plumbing diagram, city water comes in the hose reel followed by a check valve that is not working to a filter/bypass diversion valve. From there, a normally closed solenoid valve controlled by Silverleaf 12 VDC tank fill command opens the valve to send water either thru the RO membrane or bypassed by the diversion valve. From the RO (or bypassed), water goes into the tank where it goes to the pump and out to the coach.

There is also a path (I think) that starts downstream from the pump that goes thru a normally open solenoid valve which tees in ahead of the other soleniod valve. It has always escaped me what this valve is for. It could be the problem and I have the part.

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote