Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
How much effort is required while out checking to make sure the jacks are down, etc. to walk back and open the engine area and check the sight glass? Just part of our routine when getting into a site and making hookups, etc. Did have a new sight glass put in this year. Really easy to view - doesn't take much to make my life easier.

Maybe you don't understand, the engine must be at operating temperature when you check the cooling level, you want to do that at the beginning of the day. Checking the coolant level when you put he jacks down implies doing it at the end of the day, while certainly the engine will be up to temp, you need to know the coolant level before driving all day. Your process will kind of work if you are stopping at the end of a day driving, intend to drive the next day and are comfortable checking levels roughly 12 hours before you take off.

In the morning when you would normally do your "before departure" check list (which should include checking the coolant level) means running the engine for about 20 (or more) minutes either idling at the campground or stopping along the road. Neither way seems to make my life (or that of my neighbors) easier. Thus the suggestion that it would make our lives easier if WRV had placed a sight glass at the cool level (rather than at the operating temp level) that way I could check the level before I left in the morning. I agree if you are driving everyday, only stopping over night, your process would work, but what about those days that you have been parked for several days (or even a month).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #16

I purchased a new sight glass form; McMASTER-CARR product# 1079K42 High-Pressure Nickel-Plated Steel Glass Sight, with Reflector, 1/2 NPT Male 1" Hex Sixe.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Maybe you don't understand, the engine must be at operating temperature when you check the cooling level, you want to do that at the beginning of the day. Checking the coolant level when you put he jacks down implies doing it at the end of the day, while certainly the engine will be up to temp, you need to know the coolant level before driving all day. Your process will kind of work if you are stopping at the end of a day driving, intend to drive the next day and are comfortable checking levels roughly 12 hours before you take off.

In the morning when you would normally do your "before departure" check list (which should include checking the coolant level) means running the engine for about 20 (or more) minutes either idling at the campground or stopping along the road. Neither way seems to make my life (or that of my neighbors) easier. Thus the suggestion that it would make our lives easier if WRV had placed a sight glass at the cool level (rather than at the operating temp level) that way I could check the level before I left in the morning. I agree if you are driving everyday, only stopping over night, your process would work, but what about those days that you have been parked for several days (or even a month).
Just where do you think that coolant is going to go during the night, or even sitting for several weeks? Unless there is a leak that you are worried about?

Guess that we've been doing everything wrong for 12 years.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #18

Interesting--I've been doing things wrong for over 14 years but checking the coolant isn't one of them [smile].......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
OK, where does the coolant go that causes it to be lost during the night? Now if there is coolant on the ground obviously a leak, but with no leak, where does it go that it won't be back when it is warmed up the next day (week)?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,
Your observation about the "h-valve" has really saved me great irritation. After having the expansion valve replaced and the system flushed, I was still getting warm air with the air conditioner blowing. So took the coach to Awesome RV (new name for I-5 Uhlmann's) and told them what was going on, where to look and how to find the problem. Bottom Line it worked and now the Dash Air works. For the last week we have been in 90+ degree weather and the dash air has kept us cool. First time in the last 10 years when the air has worked for more than 2 days. Thank-you.