Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:01 AM   #1

Purchased 4 Trojan T105 batteries. Batteries manufactured sept 04. Installed first week Nov 04. Left on Freedom 458 charger till mid Jan 05 when we left to go to Quartsite. When the battreries were put on invert they discharged really quick with very little load maybe 20 amps. The batteries were not loaded but on float voltage,after initial charge from the time installed to mid Jan. What happened?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2005, 07:01 AM   #2

Purchased 4 Trojan T105 batteries. Batteries manufactured sept 04. Installed first week Nov 04. Left on Freedom 458 charger till mid Jan 05 when we left to go to Quartsite. When the battreries were put on invert they discharged really quick with very little load maybe 20 amps. The batteries were not loaded but on float voltage,after initial charge from the time installed to mid Jan. What happened?

Old 01-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #3

Doug - Not much information provided but sounds like you need to start varifying whether one or more of the batteries are bad. It is not completely unheard of to find a shorted cell in a new battery. If so, this would pull all other batteries down. Also, since the batteries are new, perhaps one of the battery terminals were not cleaned sufficiently or in some way the cables are not making good contact. This would prevent them from charging completely and give false indications when a load is applied. If your heart/xantrac is insufficiently charging it could explain things, also if it is overcharging, you could have boiled the water out of the batteries and they wouldn't hold a charge for long in that condition. Have you checked the water level? Need to also make sure something didn't happen to cause a heavy load when you turned the inverter on. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #4

I agree w/Steve. Pull all battery caps & check water. If one cell is way down, that battery is likely bad (bad cell). If all cells are equal water height, check w/hydrometer; if one cell is way down- bad battery. If you don't have a hydrometer (you should, being in the battery maintenance business), undo all calbes so no batt is connected to another, & check voltages; one batt low- take it to NAPA or Autozone & they'll do a load test on it. If batteries check out, go on to cables, then charger.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #5

Battery foat volts varied from 14.2 to 13.5 depenting on temp. Float volts at 40F was 14.2. This seems ok according to according to freedom 458 charger manual. Temps during period under discussion from mid 40s to low 20s. Battery volts after full charge and 24 hour no load rest period was 12.6. The specific gravity was so far above 13.000 that I could not get an accurate reading. Question is did the continued high foat volts cause overcharge and destroy the batteries?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Recheck the specific gravity. A fully charged cell will be 1.265. Here is some good battery info: www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1
http://www.usbattery.com/care.htm
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #7

I just replaced my 6 house bateries with trojan t105 Golf cart batteries. First thing I noticed is that the trojans are not as tall or as heavy as the Interstate batteries I replaced. Checking the stats of the T105 compared to the Interstate 2400 (I think that was the #) I found that the trojans have slightly less capicity than the Interstate brand. Next time I will do my homework first. I paid $70 each for the Trojans and Intertae wanted $92 each. You get what you pay for, I guess