Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, my mistake. I thought the Big Boy had 2 connections on the house battery side. It only has one .

Ted, I appreciate your offer , but I have access to one.

Thanks Chuck and Gary.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
I'm done . I pulled the old batteries, cleaned the compartment, and painted the tray. I also built all new cables . My bus bar arrived tonight and I installed it in the rain and dark . No sparks . Now I just need to zip tie the cables.

Thank you all for your help.

Now, how do I know when the batteries are at 50% capacity and need recharging ?

Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, the AGMs do last longer. The wrapped plate design gives you a few more years. Not enough to offset the additional cost, but they do last longer. The AGMs also do not outgass hydrogen, which is why you no longer need to check water - because there isn't any. A benefit to this is that you won't get the corrosion on your battery terminals that is typical to a flooded battery.

I replaced the four flooded Interstate 220 amp-hr 6 volt batteries on my 2004 Bus with the Lifeline AGMs. I found that, despite the ratings, you do get more runtime from the AGMs. Flooded batteries drop their voltage during use as the charge state decreases. This is fairly linear. Once you get to around 50% charge state the volts get too low and you can begin to damage your batteries and seriously shorten their lifetime. AGMs have less internal resistance. This results in decreased charge times because they can take the power faster. It also gives them the ability to hold their voltage higher when in use and dropping that voltage more gradually until the very end. This means you can get more than 50% of the rated amp-hrs from them. I found that when I went to the AGMs I got about 30% more runtime out of the same size battery bank. Because they do not require venting you can place them anywhere so later on I added two more and got double of the original flooded battery output.

On my new 42' Bus I have eight AGMs. I find that I can run the residential fridge, the HydroHot, and the usual lights and stuff (not being frugal in conserving energy) and run a good 8 hours until the auto gen start kicks in. And these are 12 volt 88 amp-hr AGMs, which only put out 80% the power of the 6 volt AGMs.

They do cost more but if you need more battery runtime the AGMs are the way to go. If you're just making the move to eliminate having to check water, it's probably not a cost effective move.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom and Patty:
.........Now, how do I know when the batteries are at 50% capacity and need recharging ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try This Link in the RV Tech Library. There's a table under "Battery Volts to State of Charge" that should help you.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote