Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #29

Spend $200 and put the MCU's on the rear air bags to reduce the side to side shake. MCU's on the front are less effective due to the individual height control valves.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
Yep ..washers are on the agenda Mule Skinner,as mentioned, and a pretty good stack of them I imagine.

Massage pad...hmmm not a bad idea Francesca I'll look into that. Got a brand name handy...?
Hi!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner- I've been camping!

Looks like you've had lots of suggestions, too...
Here's a link to Homedic's homepage- you can spend from $25.00 to over $200.00!
I'm using one of the cheaper ones right now- I found it in a thrift store!
It's like the one pictured for around $30.00 new.
I really recommend giving one a try- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hi!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner- I've been camping!

Looks like you've had lots of suggestions, too...
Here's a link to Homedic's homepage- you can spend from $25.00 to over $200.00!
I'm using one of the cheaper ones right now- I found it in a thrift store!
It's like the one pictured for around $30.00 new.
I really recommend giving one a try- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Francesca
Thank you ma'am...I check that out, lumbar support is a real issue with my old back.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Spend $200 and put the MCU's on the rear air bags to reduce the side to side shake. MCU's on the front are less effective due to the individual height control valves.
Good idea...I thought it had height control valves on the back too?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #33

There is one height control valve at the back operating both air bags. It is located on the inside of chassis and the control arm attaches to the axle. The output of the valve goes to a T that connects to both bags, thus there is a direct connection from one air bag to the other. The bags are constantly transferring air back and forth to equalize the pressure. This transfer can be quite violent when you go over a curb on one side. The MCU installed close to the air bag restricts the transfer rate and helps slow down the rocking motion. The one downside is that the MCU slows down dumping air when you operate the HWH leveling system.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #34

Quote:
There is one height control valve at the back operating both air bags. It is located on the inside of chassis and the control arm attaches to the axle. The output of the valve goes to a T that connects to both bags, thus there is a direct connection from one air bag to the other. The bags are constantly transferring air back and forth to equalize the pressure. This transfer can be quite violent when you go over a curb on one side. The MCU installed close to the air bag restricts the transfer rate and helps slow down the rocking motion. The one downside is that the MCU slows down dumping air when you operate the HWH leveling system.
Thanks John

...now I comprehend the rears a better.

Is the reduced rate of deflation when HWH leveling a real nuisance..or just something that is worth the trade off ?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #35

It's worth the trade-off. Just be aware that the rear airbags may not be fully deflated before the jacks go down. I have pressure gauges on both the front and rear bags and manually dump the air before activating the leveling system.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I might not have paid attention but what kind of chassis do you have. It went from seat to tires and shocks to what ever, just wondering what kind of chassis as mine is a FL under a Dutch Star and my seat feels good.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #37

I agree that you are not paying attention. You are in the wrong forum.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #38

Quote:
It's worth the trade-off. Just be aware that the rear airbags may not be fully deflated before the jacks go down. I have pressure gauges on both the front and rear bags and manually dump the air before activating the leveling system.

Did you install the pressure gauges...if so where did you hook up the rear gauges?

I assume you can use the dump switch on the console manually dump till the bag pressures zero out..?

If front MCU's are installed I also assue that they likely would benefit from a pressure a gauge as well?

Thanks again..
Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Stan:

I have MCU's on all four and have tested the dumping issue. The HWH auto-dump is for a preset amount of time 30-40 seconds IIRC. After this auto-dump, I cannot get any more pressure to release manually.

Gauges would be good to verify a system failure, but bottoming out will tell you the same thing. I'm trying to strike a balance between what I need/would like to know and what really doesn't matter since it will be obvious anyhow. If a gauge will help me manage something, I'm all for it.

In Algoma's situation, they need the gauge to visually verify the air dumped, without having to manually test it. I tested mine several times, no problem, no gauge installed. Theirs sounds like a regular issue, maybe warranting gauges. If their fronts never need dumping, no gauge needed.

BTAIM, Some folks like Wanderlodges. LOTS of gauges, LOTS!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Stan:

I have MCU's on all four and have tested the dumping issue. The HWH auto-dump is for a preset amount of time 30-40 seconds IIRC. After this auto-dump, I cannot get any more pressure to release manually.

Takepride:

Meaning that all the bags are empty? ...or you cannot get the system to dump any remaining air manually?

Thanks..
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Is there a part number for these MCU's ? Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy them?

Thanks !
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #42

OK this is getting way off topic but here goes. I installed the pressure gauges because I had an air leak somewhere and the idiot lights weren't much help. I believe the pressure switches cut in at 35psi but the gauges showed that the final pressure was around 65-70psi. I just replaced the pressure switches with adapters and connected the gauges to these. This is all behind the instrument panel, at least on the 98-99 models. Later coaches may be different. It was just fortuitous that when I installed the MCU's I could see what was happening when I dumped air and saw that the front bags went to 0 quickly but the rears stopped at 30psi. I just hold the manual dump button to get them empty now. Not a big deal.
Turns out I had a split in one of my front air bags and that the swivel connectors were leaking on both rear bags.
These are the MCU's I installed
SuperSteer Motion Control Units