Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #1

How do you clean furnace ducts??

How do you clean the furnace ducts without taking them apart and replacing them?

Thanks

Geoff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

I'm gonna chime in here since I just finished doing just that in my Bounder 38n. After a lot of "expletives deleted" and raised blood pressure I finally determined it was better to just "start at the source"! I didn't need to replace any duct work. But, I also determined I would "have" to at least disconnect the ducts. I removed the interior vent covers and started at the furnaces themselves. It was a pain undoing the clamps. But, with a little patience they all came off. I used a small shop vac and took the nozzle off the end of the hose and the hose was small enough, long enough and flexible enough to get at least half way from that end. It was doing this that showed me the smaller cold air return was being crushed under the fridge! I disconnected it and re-routed it. The outlets were pretty easy to access, remove and vac. That is until I got to the duct behind the toilet wall that heated the wet bay! I finally just cut it in half, picked up an aluminum coupling and duct taped it back together (easier next time to un-tape). The other end of that line I had to access from the cargo bay. It too took some manueveruing to get the clamp off. But, it was not a major pain! I am still wondering how long those nut shells had been sitting in there! After all that work, I found nothing to be concerned about! It was the last thing I checked that required clearing! That was the orifices in the burners! Both were clogged up! Just for safety's sake and piece of mind I vac'd the blowers and chambers and now, everything is cleaned and cleared! However, it was the new control board that got the furnaces running! Sometimes you just spend a lot of time fishing with no catches to know where the fish ain't!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

Recommend you "carefully" disconnect the dryer vent pipe that WRV used for ducts and throw them away. Then replace with insulated, residential 4" duct from Lowes or HD--you will be much happier with the results and they will be clean as well.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Thanks Slater Doc for your duct cleaning method and Old Scout I'll have to put that duct replacing somewhere on the list of things I need to do...probably won't get to it until next year!

Geoff
Old 12-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious why you want to clean the ducts.

I've never heard of doing that in homes nor RV's.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Hi Arch

I want to clean my ducts because they are 15 years old and as far as I know the PO had never done it. I vacuumed as much as I could when I bought the coach 2 years ago but I just want to get them as clean as I can. Every time I turn the furnace on it blows the dust around.

As for ducts in the house I have also had them cleaned. There are many companies that do this and I'm surprised that you haven't heard of this before, especially since Legionnaires Disease '(although I believe that was A/C ducts) There are many other reasons to clean the ducts including but not limited to rodent droppings and the carcasses of the dearly departed rodents, big dust bunnies, golf balls, kids' toys and DW engagement ring!

Geoff
Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace