Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

We have a 2002 with 106,000 miles. She had ~53K when we purchased her. The original owner was a little hard on it (evidently took it skiing and road salt did some damage we couldn't see at purchased), had to replace radiator, hydraulic pump/master cylinder combo (sorry, I don't remember the right term for that, just know that you want to have them matched) and lift pump, all in 2006, then this year the exhaust manifold and muffler.

Just replaced the front TV with a 26" Vizio on a MorRyde mount. Mount bolted right to the floor where the old TV went, TV slides in and out and both side cabinet doors are operational!

Barb, thanks for the post..and the TV info. I'd sure like to see pics of that TV mount...I'm planning on something that is considerably more difficult (I think?). Yours sounds pretty easy to do.

StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #16

Do you really want to know about all the issues??? I keep a log of all my issues and solutions. For all those that are looking for reasons to dislike an Alpine Coach, or any Class A diesel, this should be a good list. However, please realize that I still love my Alpine Coach in spite of all these issues. With all these problems identified and fixed, its now a darned good coach.

So, here it goes (about 35,600 miles):

1. Installed steering box bracket support.
2. Fixed leaking HWH fluid in HWH compartment. Loose connector at manifold for a line to a jack.
3. In 2006, replace stretched driveline yoke, 2 bad U-joints, removed metal shavings from differential, and put new lubricant in differential. Apparently, dry U-joints since coming from the factory.
4. Replaced bad U-joints again in 2009.
5. Replaced bad transfer switch. Found loose electrical connectors at the same time and fixed.
6. Replaced the copper (or possibly the Cunifer) brake line over the differential
7. Replaced wrongly installed, loose connector under dash for the keyless entry controller
8. Replaced the broken radiator grill attachment tabs at the bottom of the grill
9. Removed air bubbles from Onan GenSet when it was new to prevent it from overheating
10. Updated the firmware for the Silverleaf interface to the SmarTire system
11. Fixed loose electrical connector at Onan GenSet that goes to the coach that caused the GenSet to die
12. Replaced circuit board for Suburban hot water heater
13. Adjusted locking arm for front door so that it does not rattle
14. Plugged hole about 3Ē x 8Ē in floor below bottom drawer below bedroom TV with expanding foam. Was allowing outside air and road dust into the coach.
15. Reinforced A/C shrouds where screws hold the shrouds to the A/C frames.
16. Had Cummins engine ECM update done to prevent bucking of coach when topping a hill with cruise control engaged
17. Fixed leak at top of driver side windshield by using permatex black rtv silicone adhesive sealant on the inside of window
18. Fixed leak at PS map pocket by caulking around attachment points for awning arm on coach wall
19. Fixed leak at head of bed on PS by re-caulking rear cap and ladder attachment points
20. Re-caulked where front cap meets roof
21. Replaced failed HWH pump motor relay & master relay for extending/retracting slides/jacks
22. Replaced broken curtain at the front of the PS living room slide
23. Tightened loose bolts that attach the fresh water tank frame to the frame rail
24. Fixed leaking HWH hose at DS rear jack (was old unused bedroom slide hose leaking; plugged it with black RTV silicone)
25. Fixed shower leak by re-caulking at bottom of glass that meets tub
26. Repaired lounge chair attachment to DS slide floor, where chair attachment was ripping out
27. Built support shim for lounge chair when slide is retracted to avoid stress on chair attachment
28. Adjusted and lubed door latch that was balky
29. Lubed door step mechanism
30. Added weep hole covers for DS and PS windows
31. XM radio stopped working. Canceled subscription.
32. Donít trust wind sensor for the A&E awning, so I donít leave awing extended when unattended
33. Reduced furnace noise level by installing Dynamat material in furnace area
34. Replaced electric vacuum pump that never stopped running
35. Fixed water leak at bottom of Frig
36. Replaced dessicant for Purest air dryer (maintenance)
37. Replaced outside light bulbs (maintenance)
38. Had front wheels aligned (maintenance)
39. Installed vent covers on top of coach
40. Added coolant recovery tank for radiator coolant
41. Installed remote temp sensors outside in basement and propane area
42. Repaired broken latch for door to sewer hose container
43. Improved bathroom door latching clearance (was sticking during humid weather)
44. Replaced Cummins "high pressure fuel line" from injector pump to fuel rail due to diesel leak (should have been a RECALL but wasnít for my engine serial number)
45. Had Err Code 13 fixed in Frig by replacing faulty coil in defrost drain (done twice)
46. Had Cummins engine RECALL done for possible faulty wrist pin on connecting rods
47. Adjusted bedroom slide so that it extends equally at top and bottom instead of being whomper-jawed
48. Fixed hydraulic leak in battery compartment
49. Fixed PS slide problems where carpet balled up & prevented slide from retracting
50. Replaced slide curtain that would not retract on PS living area
51. Replaced faulty furnace fan
52. Taped over GenSet to keep A/C condensation out
53. Replaced attaching bolts on bottom of the basement door to the grey/black tank compartment
54. Installed large, thick bushings on all-thread rods that attach radiator at the bottom to the frame (to hopefully prevent the aluminum radiator from cracking)
55. Replaced front A/C start capacitor
56. Replaced rear A/C start capacitor
57. Plugged leaks in A/C ducting
58. Installed quiet fans for TV
59. Installed truckerís bungees to support the drag-link that sags to one side, which puts un-due stress on the grease boots for the ball joints (hopefully to prevent grease boots from failing)
60. Installed shim under mounting bracket for the radio and CB antennas to stop rattling noise in high wind
61. Replaced leaking HWH hose to bedroom slide over the radiator
62. Replaced and re-routed HWH hose to bedroom slide over the radiator to the battery compartment (2nd attempt at repair)
63. Onan GenSet dies under certain rare conditions, but I have learned to avoid these conditions.
64. Engine alternator does not properly charge the chassis/house batteries under certain rare conditions, but I have learned to avoid these conditions.
65. DirecTV receiver burned out. Need to replace.
66. Need to check GenSet for unusual noise/vibration
67. Need to replace GenSet tailpipe attachment bracket that is deteriorating
68. Need to replace coving at base of shower
69. Need to fix fogged window by passenger seat, by living room PS slide & by driver seat
70. Need to identify and fix rattle above DS window blind, that only occurs under extremely rough road conditions
71. Need to identify cause of intermittent ABS light turning on
72. Need to glue 1/4 round in place around bathroom door
73. Need to repair step cover that sticks in fully extended position (not square)
74. Need to repair DS seat arm that falls off when rotated too far counter-clockwise
75. Need to fill hole in rubber seal at top of screen door
76. Need to replace the headlights, since they donít aim properly and the adjustment mechanism is broken
77. Need to replace bad fuel gauge sending unit
78. Need to re-enforce the rear air-foil attachment brackets (just in case they should fail)

Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
It seems that the 2006/2007 have a lot more issues than the 2001's or so...

Seems like it would be the other way around..??

So far I'm well pleased with the condition of my coach...and I've been over it with a fine toothed comb. I think the early models have a few less amnities (not many) and in my case with only one slide, no Hydro-Hot (sp?), and so on, may be part of the reason why.

It's a good thing that I haven't found much ...because even small things can run into plenty of $$$$.

One of the main issues that I have seen so far..is the failure of the wax valve (sp?) ...which is difficult, if not impossible, to find as time goes by. I would like to corner one of these and have it with the coach in case it is needed. Can that still be done/found anywhere...??

Most other issues seem to be easy enough to get parts for...just a pain if there is a list like Monty and Dale have encountered.

I've had to fix most of those kind of things on gas rigs I have rebuilt, but I sure didn't have the kind of money invested a a Alpine cost. Plus I expected the cost because I bought fixer-uppers to begin with.

That would be very vexing if that happened on our, new to us, Alpine...

As it stands now though...we LOVE this coach, and like it better and better the more I get used to it. It's the easiest Rv I have ever worked on, bar none! Hopefully I'll be able to say the same thing a few more miles down the road..

StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Today I received my new Drain Master Sewer Hose End. And it might have failed due to my not realizing that periodically I should have put some RTV 111 silicone lubricant on it. If that turns out to be the case I need to add that chore to my "to do" list and lube it monthly or so. Tomorrow I will fix that, find and replace a fuse on my neighbors coach (not alpine) and maybe help another fellow work on his "sanicon"(SP) which is not working. Then if time, another alpine owner wants me to check his generator wiring connections and fix it lose/wrong wire nuts. He has already replaced the Surge Guard/Transfer Switch so those wire should now be tight.

Dale - You and I need to talk at DRR if you are attending. I would like to know more and in depth about some of the repairs you have done if you want to talk about it.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club

Is that it????

I think I may rename my coach "The Whomper-Jaw" (I love that name!). But like you, I love it anyway. I am also 97% sure my coach is less trouble than SOB's are.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
60,000 miles and rolling - never had a problem. Quite a few learning opportunities and RV related educational experiences but fortunately no problems.

p.s. I'm practicing for my 2011 New Years resolution - Alway looking for the positive side. Not sure how long I can last.....
2011 Allegro Bus
being pushed by a
2015 Lincoln MKC
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
42K (30K when purchaed 3/09)

Other than Maintenance items:

1. Xantrax AGS died
  2. Residential refrigerator compressor died (due to non-sine convertor)
  3. Fuel pump died
  4. Sink fell down/out
  5. AC cover blew off

1. Outside shower faucet broke off
  2. DS bedroom slide hoses failed

Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote