Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
How many roof vents do you have?

I was checking on the condition of the waste tank roof vents today thinking I would install a couple of the aerodynamic flow vents hoping to reduce some of the tank odors in the coach. I was surprised to find only one vent, the one that is over the shower area presumably connected to the grey tank. I could not find any vent for the black tank. Can someone tell me where I can find it?

Thanks.

Ron
2007 36FDTS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ron,

I only have one vent out the top on my '09. Had two on my '06. Both tanks fill and dump fine, with no odors, so both tanks must be vented together at some point. I haven't really tried to figure out where. Seems a little weird that they plumbed differently on some coaches, but I figure it's a non-issue.

TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
On my coach the vent for the black tank comes out under the refrigerator vent cover. I have the RV refrigerator.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
You're right Jim! I removed the refer outside access panel and there was the vent, running up the corner of the refer space up to the roof cut out. It doesn't actually extend through the roof to the screen but stops short just inside the ceiling line. I suspect under unusual air flow conditions, vent fumes reverse flow down around the refer and into the coach area. May have to do a bit of rerouting.

However, that will have to wait. Yesterday I noticed a growing oil stain around the radiator. Opened the radiator grill and could see that the bedroom slide hoses were covered with an oily, gooey slime and leaking onto the radiator. We're scheduled to go to the FMCA rally in Albany, OR in two weeks so hope the hoses hold for a couple of more cycles.

Anyway, thanks again for the tip Jim.

Ron.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Ron, get some JIC hydraulic caps, I think #4 or #6. If the lines separate you can disconnect them at the equalizer cylinder or manifold (depends on which one leaks) and cap it. This will allow you to operate all hydraulics except that slide until you can get somewhere to fix it. There is pressure on all lines when ever the hydraulic motor runs so a line could break while putting the jacks down (as mine did twice). If the jacks take a long time to get down than you are losing oil somewhere. If you have not moved the hose connections that are above the radiator I think you should. Move them to the battery compartment next to the equalizer cylinder.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Jim, another great suggestion. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

One question. I thought the selector solenoids "locked" the oil pressure in each individual line and associated cylinders when you released the selector switch in order to prevent the slide or jack from creeping. Wouldn't they all be isolated from each other? Maybe I don't understand how the system works yet.

Ron
Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The solenoids do lock the pressure so that the oil does not flow, but that doesn't mean that there isn't pressure in the line when the motor runs. That is the way it was explained to me when I was at HWH for the relocation of my fittings. I thought the same as you, so I asked why my slide hoses blew when the jacks were the only thing operating. They explained that the solenoids release pressure from the cylinders to operate, not to the cylinders. There's always pressure in the system when the pump runs. That's the best I can explain it.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well counting the Fridge I have 5, Fridge, one "Fake" (they used a standard roof vent for another job, cable routing) Black, Gray 1 and gray 2.. Gray 2 needs a new hat, I have the new hat but have not taken the ladder down since I bought it.

The fridge needs a new hat too. but that will come later and likely also be a Camco product.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

We have a 2006 FDTS and have 2 holding tank vents. One on each side of coach. Had the same odor problem and nothing seemed to help. Then I removed a panel at the rear of my hanging closet next to the refrigerator and across from the shower. To my surprise I found an open pipe that went down directly to the black water tank. I guess this area is used for the installation of a washer and this was the drain pipe. I capped and sealed the pipe and my odor problem disappeared.