Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
how to check refer gasket seal

I have a dometic in my 01. Wanted to check the gaskets tightness/seal out on the refer and freezer side. Thought you put a piece of paper in the door and pulled on it to see how tight the gasket seal is? I am not sure that is the correct way? Any suggestions?

2001 36 MDDS
03 Honda Pilot toad
jetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, some people use a dollar bill, but some use 100's also!

The bill (what ever you normally carry in your wallet) should not pull out easily, there should be a lot (or at least some) resistance

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
I found resistance with the dollar bill test, but not a lot. I had a frost problem in the freezer and replaced the seals anyway. I seems to have cured the frost problem, but I still don't get a lot of resistance.

My refer side works fine, keeps things below 40, but my freezer is in the high 20s. I would like to see it below 10, or at least in the teens.

I bought and infrared/laser guided temperature measuring device at Harbor Freight on sale for $40. I don't find any door leaks with it on either the freezer or refer side (temperature measures the same as the ambient room temperature near the refer). I also can't find any sources of heat inside the freezer box. By heat, I mean finding a spot that is warmer than the rest of the freezer.

So I'm at a loss, and of course they don't make refers in that size anymore.
2001 Alpine Coach 36'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Towed
GMDavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

GM, you don't say what refrigerator you have. I have the original NDR1062 and my freezer is at zero and the refrigerator is around 35. I did replace the control unit with a Dinosaur one and also the thermistor. If you have the side by side I don't know what to suggest as you may just need to replace it. Several people have gone the residential route.
John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
The only bills my DW let's me look at are the ones that come in the mail. The only money the DW let's me carry are coins. I think they are to thick to check the seals on the refrigerator or freezer. I hope you have better luck than i do in getting the type of bill you need to check the seals.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any piece of paper will do the trick on testing. our door gaskets were bad. Not-so-cold doesn't have replacement gaskets. No that would be to simple. they wanted to sell me complete NEW interior door liners with new gaskets. did I mention they wanted $1200? Instead I went to a local industrial rubber gasket distributor, told them how thick I wanted a new gasket and they furnished me one to do each door for less than 100 bucks. No more ICE build up and the stuff inside is colder than ever before. I bought a foam gasket 1/2 in wide by 3/4 in thick with sticky on one side. Applied on along side old gasket forming almost a dual gasket barrier. don't be a victim to these outrageous companies. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
put camera inside and run vid see if light comes through
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
When we travel for any length of time my wife puts in the refrigerator a small fan about 3"X3" that runs on a couple of D batters they have them in just about every R.V. Store it helps circle late the air inside the fridge.
When you open up the door do not leave the door open to long because thats where the frost comes from.
It will last for 6 or 7 weeks before my wife will put everything in plastic bags and put them in the tub until she finishes defrosting the frig. then she puts everything back into the frig.
Just a thought.

Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, seal