Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
How to remove a microwave oven

I have a Sharp microwave/convection that decided to only cook for 59 seconds at a time. Has anyone un-installed one. We have a 05, 36 MDDS. any Experienced knowledge would be appreciated.

Brad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #2

I just pulled mine (Majic Chef though) out of a 1988 Winne. Mine was held in place by four screws holding the face plate/bracket. (This face plate was also attached to the microwave.) Once I removed the screws the whole unit slid out quite easily. Mine weighed a good bit but nothing too bad. The unit was plugged into a standard wall socket at the back of the enclosure.

The trick is to find another unit that will fit the same enclosure and bracket. Yours being quite a few years newer should be easier to replace. I simply bought a low cost standard MW and slid it in place. Now I have to trim/cleanup to do.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

Take the Black grill at the top of the oven off. Mine was held on with Velcro. After the vent is off you will see a couple of screws going into the ceiling of the slide. Remove them and the Micro will rotate down in the front. It is hinged to the wall by the wall plate. Just lift up on the back slightly to disengage the wall plate.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Brad,

On our 2005 we had the same problem in '07, I called for Sharp for service and if I remember correctly they sent Sears. The tech knew exactly what it was, ordered a part and came back to install it. I have not had any problems since then.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Microwave Oven Removal

Brad,

I had the same 59 second problem. Under the microwave are two long anchor screws that angle into the back wall. When removed the oven will tilt forward and then lift it off the lip plate in the back. This a two person job due the location and the 70 pounds of the oven.

The repair is a micro switch or the damper motor. My cost was $40 to repair. Searched for an authorized Sharp repair facility and explained the problem and they new the fix and had the parts.
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #6

I'm bad, mine is an GE Advantium so removal must be slightly different from the sharp.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks John,
We are at Casa Grande so I am taking the oven to Dynatronics in Phoenix, the local
Sharp service center.

Brad
Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neff View Post
Brad,

I had the same 59 second problem. Under the microwave are two long anchor screws that angle into the back wall. When removed the oven will tilt forward and then lift it off the lip plate in the back. This a two person job due the location and the 70 pounds of the oven.

The repair is a micro switch or the damper motor. My cost was $40 to repair. Searched for an authorized Sharp repair facility and explained the problem and they new the fix and had the parts.

On my La Palma there were also two bolts that ran into the top of the Sharp microwave. They were covered by the floor of the cabinet over top of the microwave. That floor was held in place by about 20 staples.
Today that floor is held in place with two screws.
Our 59 second problem cost about $120 to fix which included the guy coming to my coach, taking the microwave to his shop and then reinstalling it in the coach. I helped him remove and install it because, as others mentioned, it is heavy. There is some sort of door that was bad inside the unit that had to be replaced. It's a very common problem with the Sharp microwave convection oven.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Found this information tonight maybe of interest to you for Micro removal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Brad,

Do you have an update on the microwave repair?
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #11

We had one in our Monaco that we owned a few years ago and I cooked a turkey 59 seconds at a time. Then someone gave me a sheet that told me what I was doing wrong. It is just the way you program it that is wrong. Go to the Sharp web site and download the quick program steps.
rvhavingfun is offline   Reply With Quote