Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

How to wire new headlights

I am trying to install new projector headlights (1997-2003BMW E39 5) 2HLP-E3997G-8V2-TM on my 2000 36FDDS. Only two of my existing plugs fit anywhere on the new lights. I have no idea where to connect the remaining wires on the new lights. As of now I only have lights on hi beam.
Could someone out there tell me how they wired their new lights? I found a 3yr old post that said they plug right in but that isn't the case with these lights.

Jerry
Oregon Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

Lots of different versions of the E39 on internet--you will have to trace wires for the model you bought and perhaps connect them directly, based on functions needed. Separate amber turn-signals vs combined parking/running lights is one example -- power/switching source for halo lights is another option that has to be traced and wired. No easy way to determine what model you have and how it gets wired.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #3

Jerry, I have a 2001 MDDS and had a similar lighting problem. I have attached 2 links. The first is a solution to the problem of having only high beams. It also contains background information about the BMW Angle eye headlights you purchased and the wiring in our coaches. There are 2 or 3 other threads concerning additional information about wiring in the Halos. You will have to wire The second is the link to Specdtuning for the 2HLP-E3997G-8V2-TM headlights which is where I assume you purchased them. In the video at the bottom of the picture is a reference to a second video concerning the halo lights.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/angl...em-286799.html

SC Alpiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Bill thanks for the reply. I have read your post on wiring the hi and lo beams together, what a great post. I want to get these things working before I attempt your mod. I am unable to get my low beams working I assume they need a ballast to operate. Did you have to install a ballast or is one built into the headlight assembly? Also I don't understand what I am supposed to do with the two wires that are attached to a bulb base in the turn signal hole.

Thanks for the help
Jerry
Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry, I installed HID projector lights about 7 years ago. Here is a picture of how I wired them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470946317.724800.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	135667
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

Thanks Dave
Looks like you have different lights than I do. Did you use your original turn signal bulb? Mine has LEDs and halos. Also my low beam light appears to be a xenon bulb which I believe requires a ballast. My instructions are pretty lame, they make no mention of this. I had no idea what I was getting, I just ordered what SC alpiner has. He is obviously a lot sharper than I am��. Sealed beams were as high tech as I was aware of. Anyway, it's starting to come together now. I have the turn signals working and I wired the Halos and LEDs together, I just have to decide where to power them from, I'm thinking either clearance lights or ignition. That just leaves my low beam problem and I'm pretty sure I need to get ballasts for them. Maybe someone on this sight can confirm that and advise me on what to get.

Thanks again for the picture and input
Old 08-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
You most likely will need to drag the mounting holes so the headlights will be high enough.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #8

Ok, mystery solved. I went back online to spec-D Tuning and saw that ballasts were included with the lights. I called Spec-D and told them I didn't get the ballasts. They said they would ship them out to me. then I went back and looked again in one of the boxes my light came in, I pulled out all the packing material and low and behold under all the packing foam were 2 ballasts. Boy is my face red, I had to call them back to tell them I found the ballasts, sure glad I didn't get snotty with them. In my own defense, if they had better instructions I would have realized they should be there. I still have to figure out how to install the ballasts.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #9

Jerry, it sounds like you have made some great progress. The headlights I have are different from yours and Dave's. They have the standard Halogen bulbs so they do not have a ballast. Mine also have standard turn signal bulbs. As I previously stated the angle eyes were installed by the previous owner so I do not have the experience of doing that wiring. From what I see the LED parking lights are spliced into the existing wiring and the halos are powered from the clearance lights. There has been no problems with that setup.The only true plug ins were the high and low beam lights.
As Dave stated you will have to elongate the mounting holes to be able to get the lights aimed higher. Even after extensively elongating all 4 of the mounting holes I was unable to aim the lights so that I could align them, both horizontally and vertically, to the specification referenced in my original post. I ended up changing the mounting method so I could get the alignment and also to avoid putting any undue stress on the light's mounting tabs.
Also on my lights I believe that the lower outside mounting tab was very long and I cut the length down. I did this because the tab was touching the front bulkhead when the slide was closed and it was moving the light. In another post it was mentioned that the back of the light housing hit the front bulkhead. I do not have that problem. You may want to keep a close eye on that when you close the slide. You can also check this by measuring it with a tap measure which is what I did.
In the FYI category, after I got the angle eyes aligned to spec I change the alignment of the driving lights to complement them. All together it now provides excellent lighting.
In case you are not aware of it, Dave's 2005 coach has the Vasco system and I believe that it is configured so that all 4 lights are on in high beam mode.
SC Alpiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #10

Eureka, once I had the ballasts everything made sense.I wish I had found them before I cut the plugs off one of my low beam bulbs. I soldered them back on, and it worked.Yippeee
Old 08-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Alpiner View Post
Jerry, it sounds like you have made some great progress. The headlights I have are different from yours and Dave's. They have the standard Halogen bulbs so they do not have a ballast. Mine also have standard turn signal bulbs. As I previously stated the angle eyes were installed by the previous owner so I do not have the experience of doing that wiring. From what I see the LED parking lights are spliced into the existing wiring and the halos are powered from the clearance lights. There has been no problems with that setup.The only true plug ins were the high and low beam lights.
As Dave stated you will have to elongate the mounting holes to be able to get the lights aimed higher. Even after extensively elongating all 4 of the mounting holes I was unable to aim the lights so that I could align them, both horizontally and vertically, to the specification referenced in my original post. I ended up changing the mounting method so I could get the alignment and also to avoid putting any undue stress on the light's mounting tabs.
Also on my lights I believe that the lower outside mounting tab was very long and I cut the length down. I did this because the tab was touching the front bulkhead when the slide was closed and it was moving the light. In another post it was mentioned that the back of the light housing hit the front bulkhead. I do not have that problem. You may want to keep a close eye on that when you close the slide. You can also check this by measuring it with a tap measure which is what I did.
In the FYI category, after I got the angle eyes aligned to spec I change the alignment of the driving lights to complement them. All together it now provides excellent lighting.
In case you are not aware of it, Dave's 2005 coach has the Vasco system and I believe that it is configured so that all 4 lights are on in high beam mode.
Thanks for the info Bill
I won't be able to finish the wiring and do the alignment until Saturday
Your post will be very helpful. I don't know where the parking brake wire is, is it the 3rd wire on the turn signal plug? I've had the slide in 3 or 4 times and haven't hit anything but I'm going to cut off the end of that tab, it's to close for comfort. I wish Spec-D had better instructions it could have saved me a lot of grief. If it wasn't for this forum I probably would have thrown in the towel.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Alpiner View Post
Thanks for the info Bill
I won't be able to finish the wiring and do the alignment until Saturday
Your post will be very helpful. I don't know where the parking light wire is, is it the 3rd wire on the turn signal plug? I've had the slide in 3 or 4 times and haven't hit anything but I'm going to cut off the end of that tab, it's to close for comfort. I wish Spec-D had better instructions it could have saved me a lot of grief. If it wasn't for this forum I probably would have thrown in the towel.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a picture of the headlights from outside, and yes, it is a 2005 so it has Vansco.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471005370.886619.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	135725
Old 08-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #14

I just replaced mine today with these:

Alpine Coach 2000 2001 2002 2003 Pair Set Front Lights Headlights Head Lamps RV | eBay

The fit was very, very tight, especially the driver side. I hope that the lens does not crack due to stress. Other than that, it was plug and play. Now I need darkness to aim the lights.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights