Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #15

Thanks Emike, mine has the plugs but it is very difficult to get to the 4 extend solenoids because of the way my pump is oriented. I need to cut an access hole in the cargo bay so I can get at them. The retract solenoids are a piece of cake. All of the wiring for the slide solenoids route through the control box via 3 plugs. I can trace the retract wires (4) no problem. In a pinch no doubt I would be able to locate the extend wires in the green plug. As it is with the board dead and only the green plug and the (2) 12 pin plugs on the side facing the frame plugged in I can run the slides by simply jumping the master control relay and the pump relay while I push the appropriate slide switch inside the coach. Obviously I need a long wire on my relay switch so I can extend and retract the slides myself.

When I get to Texas for the winter I will pull the board after I am set up and have plenty of time for HWH to repair it if I fail in my attempt. While the board is out for repair I will pick up some spare plugs and rig up an emergency slide deploy and retract box.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #16

Mike: Thanks for your help, mine is an 07 36Ft. Mid door, 2 room slides & 2 smart beds. All that I can see are 8 controls in the forward compartment curbside.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #17

Here are a couple of pictures of the control boxes I made up to retract/deploy slides and jacks on my coach until I can get the control board repaired. The 5 button box controls the 4 jack solenoids and the air dump solenoid. The single button box turns the Hydraulic pump on and off. I put a long cord on it so I can go inside and run the pump while I push a slide button to extend or retract the slides. These 2 boxes just apply 12 volts positive to the appropriate wire. I used 14 gage solid copper wire for plug pins. The pin designations are in the HWH 625 service manual available on the HWH web site.

To extend a jack I push the appropriate jack button and the pump button. To retract the jacks I just push the jack button or buttons.

PS: I used lighted switches for the jacks and air dump to lessen the chance I would accidentally leave a switch on and burn up a solenoid.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #18

Wayne- I see what you mean about inaccessibility of solenoid valves that face center of the coach.

When you get to the vivisection portion of this repair, IIWM- I'd consider relocation of the motherboard to the storage bay aft of the HWH compartment (requires lengthening of all wire looms). That buys you some room.
Second, the Master & Pump relays help crowd the mess. HWH I'm sure made this configuration for convenience of OEM installers (& OEM labor), which thereafter makes service that much harder. This is the same reason the Cummins ECU is engine-mounted (where it will heat up making CPU cooling an issue, and crowding the area with the fat wiring loom...); the OEM is looking for a drop-in solution regardless of future maintenance hassles. I'd remote mount the solenoid relays, and I'd remote mount spares next to live ones. I've already done that w/my pump solenoid which was going bad and I'm now running on the spare.
Third, I'd extend your hot wiring kit to all slide devices on the coach (for SE's & Apex's that'd include SmartBeds) in a permanent way.
Fourth- I can't see the shaft end of your pump motor. Mine doesn't have a drive fixture on it like a hex head or an allen socket. PowerGear, a cheaper alternative to HWH, hydraulic motors do. In case of motor failure PG owners can grab a battery powered drill & suitable drive end, and run the pump manually. You might consider hauling out the motor and having a machine shop install a drivable end on the motor shaft (like end-drill & tap for a bolt insert or end mill an allen socket into the shaft end). Some folks carry a spare motor, but if you are in a hurry the drivable end will get you on the road in minutes.
Just some thoughts about bullet proofing.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #19

Emike, Thanks for all the good ideas. I definitely am going to make some changes. This whole affair has got me thinking my CNC mill and associated tools would do me a lot more good at the ORA in Arkansas, rather then sitting in my mothers garage in CA. Now how do I haul it all back there. I am already pulling a 24 foot car hauler with my truck and Harley in it. Maybe my better half would pull a uhaul with the truck.

I recently got the use of a small garage next to the resort that our Pastor owns. I have been using it for SeaDoo Hop up work. It can also double as a MH machine shop.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #20

Wayne- you have to do like Bob Kapp, and get a smaller car, then haul your machine shop around in the trailer behind your Alpine, the Ultimate DIY'er Project.

Speaking of machine shop work, this weekend I'm gunna make some HWH slide valve removal tools with the hex stock that's been sitting in my collection of trash for the last decade. Looks like its the perfect size.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
All - In talking with HWH, at least for the APEX models, WRV worked with HWH to make a modified system, and mine has two motors in it. I have a primary and a secondary motor in case one of them takes a hike. You can see both of them in the compartment. I also believe my setup has better access to the solenoid valves than those pictured above. What would be cool is, making a pull out drawer this whole thing could ride on, but that would involve making up all new hoses so they are longer.

EM-You can take a look and tell me what you think if we can hook up. It's tight in there, but not impossible to get around. But I have sliced up the back of my hand trying to find the loose connection for the front bags. It turned out, according to CCC, they were just never hooked up, but I know several times they have dumped previously, so whatever, something was loose. It's so nice with things actually work, and now the do.