Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Driving in the slow lane on I 295 in New Jersey is quite a challenge, never have we bounced so much at 55 mph. As a result, I lost the front hub covers on my 2001 Alpine. It turns out that WRV do not stock this part any more, since according to them, my coach is "old".It actually looks almost new except for not having hub caps on the front. Anyone have any idea where I might get a new set, they are 9 inch diameter?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Driving in the slow lane on I 295 in New Jersey is quite a challenge, never have we bounced so much at 55 mph. As a result, I lost the front hub covers on my 2001 Alpine. It turns out that WRV do not stock this part any more, since according to them, my coach is "old".It actually looks almost new except for not having hub caps on the front. Anyone have any idea where I might get a new set, they are 9 inch diameter?
Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #3

Pat, try flyingJ truck stops, I have boubht lost ones there in the past.
MAc
Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #4

I have also bought replacement hub caps at Flying J. Be sure to get the type with the correct number of tabs to fit your hubs and also compare the tab spacing. My 99 Alpine had an odd spacing of 5 tabs but my 2005 has 4 equally spaced tabs.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #5

The last time I lost one (about a year and a half ago), I bought two from a Pilot station @ $5.99 each. Just got back from a trip and saw them in a Flying J @ $4.99 each. My '01 has 4 tab spacing so be sure to check yours before buying. I have seen 3, 4, and 5 tab hubs.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks all for your replies. I found some at a truck parts dealer, and though the tabs we not exactly right, I trimmed them to make them fit.
Did not get as good a price as you paid, but a heck of a lot cheaper than WRV originally qouted me, which was about $25 each shipping included. Thank goodness they were out of stock!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatColau:
... I found some at a truck parts dealer ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, the original ones on our used coach were definately of better quality than those from a Pilot Truck stop. Hopefully, the pieces you got at an actual truck parts dealer are closer to OEM quality.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #8

I dont know--$5 a pop for something that bounces down the road all day and is held on the hub by 4 clips. Not sure I need or want to pay for "OEM quality."
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #9

Pat,
We have also traveled I295 in So. NJ and experienced extreme bouncing. I swear the front wheels left the ground. We ended up traveling half on/half off the shoulder at a reduced speed. Took our '99 40FDS to our mechanic and he found shocks (front AND rear) badly needing replacement. Replaced all 4 and traveled that same stretch of I295 a few months later - what a difference!
gary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #10

Jeff - I suspect that OEM hubcaps may be a better quality (however I wouldn't guarantee it) but in the two years I have had my "cheap-ohs" on they have not deteriated and look like new. Not bad for the $6 I paid. Let's see, if they last 4 years, I could replace them about six times for what I would have paid at an RV dealer and the coach would only be about 28 years old by the time I spent what originals cost.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveS:
... in the two years I have had my "cheap-ohs" on, they have not deteriated and look like new. Not bad for the $6 I paid. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My "cheap-ohs" from the Pilot do look fine, though not quite the quality of chrome as my original ones.

But more so, the cheap ones are much more flimsy and don't fit as tight as the originals. I've already lost 1 "cheap-oh" after only 3k miles (only about 6-7 months on the coach).

The single OEM I have left is still hanging on. I bought 3 caps when I found them with the right tabs, so we'll see which I loose next, the OEM or "cheap-oh".
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #12

Pat, no help with your hub cabs but it is nice to see someone so close to us. Do you you happen to know a gal named Barbara Zimmerman?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote