Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We have a 2005 FDQS. The receiver (Hughes (2003 MFG) model HTL-HD) will not read the access card. Direct TV says I need to replace the receiver, as the reader in the receiver is bad.

Has any one replaced there receiver? Which new receiver, will fit without major modifications?
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a update from Direct Tv. They say the H20 HD receiver is the replacement. However, this receiver does not have a input for the regular tv antenna. The know defunk HTL-HD had input for antenna, cable and satellite

Has anyone made this change? How did you get the regular antenna input to the system?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I just converted one of my "stick house" receivers from an H10 (which had the antenna input) to an H20 receiver. The H20 did away with the antenna input as my local regular and HD channels are now broadcast to the receiver over the satellites rather than coming into the receiver via the antenna as they did on the H10 where they were then shown on the channel guide.

If you have an HD television, you should be able to run the antenna directly into the set and get any regular and HD channels within range of the antenna, although you'd have to switch inputs on the television from satellite to antenna to see them.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #4

Our 08 has the H20. There is an A/B switch for antenna/satellite. I presume this is switching the television's H20 input to the off-air antenna. I wondered why they did this A/B switch until your post (i.e. w/the H20 they had to do something w/off-air rather than run it thru the receiver). I preffered off-air thru the receiver as we had in the 06 so I could control it w/the remote.
Maybe a longer remote, so I can push the A/B switch from the couch?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I think that 1peddler's problem is that the 2005 coaches have a monitor in place of a TV that includes a tuner. The receiver is the tuner for the OTA channels. In the later coaches with HD systems, the OTA antenna is connected to the TV's antenna input. The HD receiver uses a HDMI cable to input the HD video and the audio with one cable into the TV.

Mike,

If you get a Harmony remote, it will control most everything, except the A/B switch.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

Dale/Mike

Yes, this is the problem. We have an LG monitor, not a tv with tuner. The tuner is in the receiver.

So, I do not want to change out the tv/monitor, to a tv with tuner. Does anyone know where I can get a rebuilt Hughes model HTL-HD receiver?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
You might start with eBay.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
1peddler,

Another option would be to get the regular Directv receiver for satellite reception. For OTA stations, use a digital converter box or a DVD player that has a digital tuner built in. Here is a link to some info.

dtvfacts.com

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #9

I do not know about other 05's but my 05 has a TV, but I do not have the thin flat screen.
Is that where the difference was made?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As another option...

In my house I have the Dishnetwork 211 HD receiver which has an OTA input. It also has a coax TV out. The TV out is analog. Yes the receiver receives an OTA digital/HD signal and converts it to analog. I route this via the house built in cable system to a analog TV.

I do the same thing in the motorhome when I take the Dishnet receiver with me. This allows me to watch TV in the bedroom.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote