Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

HWH 2000 series software update to keep jacks retracted

In December 2010, HWH released a free software update for the 2000 Series (probably only Apex) to keep jacks retracted, (normally the left rear) while you are moving. The neat thing about it, it all happens behind the scene, so you don't have to do anything. Once you retract the jacks, the warning light does not come on while you are moving. I had the update done in December, but I did not want to post it, until I had chance to to test it. I drove over 3000 miles and no problem. The only problem you may have is finding someone to do it, besides HWH. I had Joe Elwell (jjewell@msn.com) do it for me and only charged me a service call. Joe lives in Salem, OR and he does go to some rallies.

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
It would be great if the older versions could be easily updated. Seems to be an ongoing problem across all years.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #3

I agree that it sure would be nice to have a solution to this problem for all model years, including my 1999. I never understood why HWH programmed their controller to prevent the "Store Jacks" function from working while driving down the road. An automatic solution is even better, but if you could simply store the jacks while driving, it would be acceptable to me.

Assuming that all HWH controllers are driven by firmware stored on flash memory, they should be able to offer all of us a solution.

If not, I have been considering an electrical solution. I assume that there are 4 12v solenoid valves that control releasing the hydraulic pressure on each of the jacks. With a 12v 4-pole relay (or 2 2-pole relays) and a momentary contact switch located below the dashboard. It would be fairly easy, and very low cost (assuming a DIY project) to create a manual "store Jacks" function that would work while driving down the road. With all the other things that need fixing on my coach, I just haven't had the time to start this project. Has anyone implemented a similar solution?

Dave Morgan
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
There is a chip available that will allow the store function to work while driving down the road. I have been carrying it for 3+ years, never installed it. :-(. I believe WRV sent it to me. Check to see if HWH has it available.
2000 36 FDS

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 Forum
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #5

My previous coach was a 99 and this would occur regularly. I was always going to get the chip but never got around to it.
When getting ready to store the jacks I would let the jacks run the full cycle when storing and let the jacks automatically shut them self’s off, ( about 4 to 5 minutes)

My 07 Apex coach has not given me a jacks down message yet (Knock on wood)
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
My coach (2003) allows a "Store Jacks" function while driving, though I've read many earlier coaches could not. My routine now is to raise the jacks, wait for the green "travel" light, start the coach and then re-initiate the "Store Jacks" function. Seems to have worked fine. On the couple times I've forgotten the second command, the LR jack makes it's appearance.

However, it has been a problem for so many coaches for so long, one would think HWH would have solved the problem, permanently and for everyone.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #7

For the early Alpine Coaches, there definitely was a software update to do what "'Tom and Patty" stated. My previous motorhome was a 2001 Alpine Coach 38FDDS. WRV provided the chip with the updated EPROM to me from HWH. Later year Alpine Coaches are able to raise the jacks while the coach is in gear. See this link for a prior discussion of this issue:

HWH Leveling Jacks
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #8

When I had my 2000 Alpine with the 600 or the 625 series. HWH came with an update 10 years ago. All I did was take board out and sent back and they updated for free. When driving down the road and the light came on, I could store while driving no problem.

The only other tip HWH gave me is when you store the jacks do not turn off the HWH, just let it go to the green light.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #9

Back when WRV was alive they sent me an EPROM update (dual chip set) to allow jacks to store while travelling. My jack alarm comes on periodically so I turn the controller on and hit store while driving. I installed the chips myself and they have been working for about 4 years. The only potential problem is one of safety. If you accidentally dump or "level" I don't know what will happen because HWH will try to perform the command.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

Thank you all for the information. I am going to contact HWH to see if I can get an updated EPROM. I am an electrical engineer, so I should be able to install it myself whether it's simply plugging the new EPROM into a socket or unsoldering the old one and soldering in the new one. I certainly hope that HWH was smart enough when they modified the firmware that they enabled the "Store" function while driving but still inhibit the "Dump", Level, or any of the other hydraulic functions that would cause problems. Does anyone know for a fact that the new firmware also enable any of these functions? That is certainly a question I will ask HWH when I call them. I will let you know what they say.

Thanks, Dave Morgan
Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #11

Regarding "accidental" activation of dump or level functions--dump is a momentary buttom so you would have to hold continuously and level is a "press-twice" so fairly hard to do by accident. My 03 will store while travelling but have never experienced an "accidental" activation of the either function in 113k miles and 8 years. Rear/driver's side jack has been an issue but letting the HWH complete its store cycle before starting the engine seems to help. Ref earlier posts on "jack creep"--new chip for older coaches or patience while storing for newer coaches--no magic software.
PS--starting to notice that HWH leveling cycle occasionally gets "lost" with infinite adjustments--have to interrupt the cycle to get the beast to shut-off--any thoughts?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
All - I have had the left rear DS jack deploy a little one time, but my solution is different.

First monthly or before we are leaving the park, I wipe the jack down with HWH fluid to clean them off; don’t leave any excess oil on them.

About once a quarter, I spray 3M-08897 Dry Silicone Lube on them (wipe them down after the spray job) and that has solved my problem, they never come down on me and always go up perfectly.

Now I also don't just put them down when camping, especially if the site is gravel, I put down some 4" think pads I built, and so the jacks don't get close to over-extension. Additionally, I never deploy anything hydraulic before I plug into shore power (or have genset running) as the amp draw from the system can be as high as 100A very short term. I don't want to stress the pump or starve it for power since I don't need problems.

This has worked for me since we bought the coach and a big thank you to Chris Cratch for the 3M information which he got from HWH.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
At last year's FMCA Redmond Rally, the HWH technician told me that "the process" for jack retraction takes about 10 to 15 minutes to complete ( even when the jacks are UP ).

So, I follow the process described by Takepride OR I start up the coach, retract the jacks and then drive off.

I've not had a jack warning light since.
Voiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
OK I don't know what that HWH technician was smoking, but come-on; 10-15 minutes. Must be some computer stuff going on which takes the cycle so long to complete. Today twice we retracted the jacks, and it never took longer than one minute total.