Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Air Dump Not Working

I have developed a problem with the HWH suspension air dump mechanism. It was working properly until about a month ago and now, no matter what I try, it won't dump any air out of the suspension. I don't seem to have an HWH operating manual in my packet of manuals so don't know what to try to try to correct the problem. Does anybody out there have any ideas?

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
First look in the HWH bay and see if any fuses are blown. There are several in/on the motherboard and at least two or four in fuse holders with covers on them. The one's with covers are 40 & 20 amp ones. I have three 40's and one 20.

It could also be one of the relays (possibly on the roof of the compartment) and there are fuses with those relays to protect them as well.

If all else fails, you can call HWH at 800-321-3494, they will want the model of the coach, so they can determine which unit you have.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call HWH and ask for technical support. They can help you trouble shoot it and advise you on the repair. Especially if your handy at that sort of thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
OK Alpine Gurus. I downloaded the HWH service manual and talked to tech support and now have an idea of what I need to do to troubleshoot the system. The problem I now have is that I am unable to find the HWH control box. I have pulled the dash panels and found the wires that go from the touch pad and go somewhere - but I know not where. I checked the bay with the pump and manifold, but there is nothing resembling an electronic control box there. So, can anybody help me find the HWH control box? I'm feeling pretty stupid right now so hopefully, somebody can enlighten me!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Aha! Another difference between the years.

Your control panel is in the first big bin behind the front wheels, in the center of the floor, behind a carpeted box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-08-23 17.15.10.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	17539   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-08-23 17.09.35.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	17540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-08-23 17.02.46.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	17541  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

For a mid-door, that may be behind the steps, and between the frame rails.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

WOW--going on ten years of owning an 03 and have never seen [needed to see] the aforementioned HWH control box....it aint behind the carpetted box in the basement nor is it behind the stairwell...only box I now of is the silver box amidships on the flloor/bulkhead behind radio console and under heater fan box. Could be a fuse or loose connection--assume you cant dump air with either the auto leveling routine or the manual dump button?????
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I had to work today (YUCK!) and didn't have time to search for the control boxes. The tech at HWH says there are 2 boxes - one for the jacks and one for the slides. They should be silver boxes about 3" x 4" by 7" (or thereabouts) and one stacked on top of the other. I had the dash panels off and didn't see anything like that under there any place I could see. I didn't get to the driver's side as that panel doesn't seem to be removable. And, yes, (or no) the air dump doesn't work on either manual or automatic. I'm gonna tear the old Alpine to pieces tomorrow and will report the location of the boxes when I find 'em. They've gotta be there somewhere!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Success!!!

OK all you '03 mid door model owners. After about 4 hours of tearing my coach apart, taking the carpet off the front firewall in front of the captain's chair, checking up along frame rails and every other conceivable place under the coach, and even checking the holding tank bin that you have to remove the bolts to get the door open, I finally found the control boxes for the HWH system. Takepride was partially right, but not entirely. I was looking for a carpeted box as in the photos that Takepride sent but lo and behold, no such animal exists in my '03. I was just about at my wits end when I noticed that on the front wall of the storage bin there is a carpet covered panel. It is pretty inconspicuous and from everything I had been seeing, I thought the water tank was in that area. The panel is held in place by 2 screws - one on each side. When I removed the panel, I was surprised to see a very large additional storage space that held a pipe from the water tank and - you guessed it, the control boxes for the HWH system. It also was playing host to some sort of critter at one time or another who had built a mighty comfy nest behind the cover panel and was living high on the hog and in inconspicuous privacy! In order to get to the HWH control boxes, I had to lay on my back and shinny into the cubicle and then was able to access the boxes. Upon checking the top box, I found that the fuse that controls the air dump was blown. Who knows why, but it was blown. (Maybe something to do with the uninvited guest who had been residing in there!) I replaced the fuse and everything is now working properly. It dumps air out of the suspension in both manual and automatic modes. Here are some photos of the bin cover and the inside of the hidden bin with the HWH control boxes.

Carpeted Panel Covering Hidden Bin

Name:   Hidden Bin Front.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  60.5 KB

Inside of Bin

Name:   Hidden Bin Inside 1.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  63.0 KB

Closer up of HWH Control Boxes

Name:   Hidden Bin Inside 2.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  59.4 KB

I hope this helps somebody in the future who needs to find the HWH control boxes on an '03.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

If you want to remote mount GM type fuses, you can use two male spade connectors plugged into the existing fuse spot. Install a remote fuse block (google), and run one wire from exist'g fuse to one terminal of new fuse position, then the other wire to opposite side of new fuse. You can take all fuses to a remote location if you have enough fuse space in the block. If I had one of these no-crawl zones (blocked off from all human access w/all the junk I carry), I'd find a place for a new fuse block I could access easily.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Don't you just love problems that take hours to figure out HOW to do the repair but only about 5-10 minutes of actual work? At least this was an inexpensive repair (not counting your valuable time). I think we sometimes think that repair facilities overcharge for their time but if this was in a shop somewhere, they would have to spend hours searching for that hidden box before replacing a simple fuse.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Not a bad idea EngineerMike. If the fuse blows again, I probably will do just that. I already have one of those "add-a-circuit" adapters that plugs into a spade fuse socket and has two wires attached so it would be a relatively easy job to relocate the fuse to a more accessible spot. But, I will wait and see if I have any further problems before doing that. It's GREAT that people on this forum think "outside the box" (pun intended regarding the location of my HWH control boxes!) for possible remedies to difficult situations.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I hope you put some foam insulation around that water pipe - easy to see how a critter could get in there. Since we have an '02 mid-door, I'm saving this to my folder of pictures of where things are - never know when we will need it. Thanks for doing the leg work for the rest of us.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I always thought the APEX is bad for putting things in unaccessable locations, but this thread takes the cake for hiding something we need to fix.

Tags
hwh