Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

HWH Check and Fill

Ideas anyone? Need to check to hydraulic oil level on my HWH and possibly add fluid. First glance, not going to be an easy task.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Ideas anyone? Need to check to hydraulic oil level on my HWH and possibly add fluid. First glance, not going to be an easy task.

First, only check the fluid when the slides are in, jacks up, otherwise you will overfill the system. The reservoir is fairly large so with the slides in, jacks up when you remove the cap from the tank you should be able to see fluid on the stick portion of the cap, if not reach in and stick a finger into the tank, if you have big hands try your pinkie. If you see or feel fluid you are fine. If not adding the fluid is going to be fun. I took a medium size funnel and added about 18" of clear tubing to the tip so I could hold the funnel outside and watch the fluid flow into the reservoir as I poured. Pour it slowly and check the level often, you do not want fluid overflowing in the compartment.

God luck.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Ours has instructions right on the tank. It wants the passenger slides to be open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	134518  
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

I was advised by HWH that in order to check, and then fill the reservoir, that the jacks must be up; then it depends on where your slide cylinders are located as to whether the slides are extended or retracted.

1. The jacks must be retracted. In the retracted position the fluid is returned to the reservoir.
2. If the slide cylinders are in the wall, the slide must be extended. This is because the cylinders are now in the retracted position and the fluid has been returned to the reservoir.
3. If the slide cylinders are in the floor the slide must be retracted. This is because the cylinders are now in the retracted position and the fluid has been retuned to the reservoir.

So, it does indeed matter that you are checking the fluid level and servicing the reservoir when all cylinders are in the retracted position to assure that the fluid has been returned to the reservoir, otherwise incorrect fluid level is a real possibility. An over-serviced reservoir can be a real mess.

Please also reference: HWH Operator's Manual ML30488/MP05.9459 dated 09-17-2003, pages MP65,930C 06-17-2004 and MP65.943D 08-06-2003. This is the manual I received with the coach. I'm certain you will also be able to find the information in the HWH web site if you do not have access to this particular manual.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #5

Dave, thank you. Too bad a simple task is unnecessary difficult. Going to buy the fluid first and get dirty once. The compartment that houses the HWH on a 1999 is like the battery compartment, they will never be or stay as clean as I would like. Todd's picture is one to envy.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Dick appreciate the detailed info. My coach being an older model has the slide cylinders in the floor. So it is good to know that everything needs to be stowed and road ready before checking fluid level. The HWH website does appear to have Western RV manuals for all the model years.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Just an old farm kid from Wisconsin but if a cylinder is bi-directional, don't think it would matter that much whether the slides are extended or retracted--jacks yes but slides no. Going on 14 years and 156k miles--never had an issue with checking HWH fluid level with all slides in......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Dave, thank you. Too bad a simple task is unnecessary difficult. Going to buy the fluid first and get dirty once. The compartment that houses the HWH on a 1999 is like the battery compartment, they will never be or stay as clean as I would like. Todd's picture is one to envy.

I know what you mean. Last year I cleaned mine with a degreaser and it is still not as clean as I would like it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

To expand upon this, I am a new Alpine owner, a 2000 40' w single slide. After extending the room slide more than 20 times with no problem, once I put it out with the LR corner low since the ground was not level. But not severely. Now slide barely moves, labors very badly. I am leaving it retracted since I don't want it to get stuck. Pump runs, no leaks visible and all jacks work OK/ Ideas???
Jperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #10

First--a 40ft Alpine with only one slide????? We are talking motor coach here, right?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
rjp

Alpine Owners Club
I check mine after each run.
Easy to check with the built in dip stick. When adding fluid you'll need a pump to fit on a quart container available at most auto parts store an they are inexpensive!
rjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
rjp

Alpine Owners Club
Does the 2000 have a HWH System ? If so I'm sure you have checked the fluid level ??
You should check the two slide mechanisms to check for broken rollers or slides. You might call HWH as the have a great Tech Dept.

Best of luck
Old 08-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
rjp

Alpine Owners Club
I use oil absorbent pads to attract the oil mist that come from the breather cap it sure helps to keep the compartment clean..
Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #14

There are several o-ring sealed plugs on the pump manifold that can leak fluid--but more likely you have one or more hose connections that are leaking fluid. I had an oily mess in my HWH compartment for many years, finally had HWH check/replace some of the O-rings and I replaced several of the hoses that were leaking on the pump end. Have had a clean, dry compartment for about the last 4 years--what a difference....
New Braunfels, Texas

Tags
hwh