Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Control Panel Problem

2002 Alpine HWH control panel not working. When power is turned on to the panel all the lights go on but none of the controls will work. Leveling, slides, air down etc. The control panel shows that the jacks are down when they are up. When the slide switches are actuated I can hear a solenoid click, but the hydraulic pump will not start. Fuses, grounds have been checked and all appears ok. HELP, thanx Mike.
pittso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Start by checking the pump. Do a search on this site there is a lot of information. HWH also has service manuals available online.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Call HWH technical support and they will give you some pointers.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had similar things starting to happen. HWH was very helpful. Turned out that I needed a new control panel. Evidently not uncommon after a number of years. Very easy to replace yourself.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This is probably not the problem since you have some functionality from the panel but this will only take a few minutes to eliminate. Remove the control panel and double check that the connector on the back is fully seated. I had an issue one time and that was all that was wrong. Worth a shot.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

I had a similar problem on my '04, which has the 625 system, which is a different system than I believe you have. (610?) However, I found out that the only thing the control panel does for the slide operation is turn on the pump when necessary. The small relay on the board controlling that operation failed, so the pump would not turn on. Fuses were all fine. And therefore the jacks would no longer extend either without the pump running, but they should return under spring pressure if you go through the retract process. If you have the same situation.

HWH repaired my board for around $100. The price depends on what is found to be the problem. Maximum repair cost to fix my board would have been $500. Replacement would have been $1000 per HWH. Mine was easy to remove and reinstall. Turn around time at HWH was 3 days, plus the shipping time both ways.

Again, I have the newer 625 system, but the HWH service/troubleshooting guide was a big help. (At least it was until the result said "Replace control panel"! ) You can find this service manual on the HWH website, or the ACA technical library.

Good luck!!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

As was pointed out earlier it is possible it is a loose connection. If you have the pull out drawer this was a common problem as the wires are tight and can pull the connector off the back of the control panel when you pull the drawer out. Easy check before you call HWH.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
About 6 months after I got our '05 I had a similar problem with the HWH panel. I found that WRV had made up the harness a bit short so when I slid out the console tray it pulled the cable, eventually the connector came loose. I removed the connector, added a short piece of wire, checked all the other connections and all has been working well since. Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Commercial Member

check your hwh service manual. the problem is likely a bad touch panel, but do the diagnostics before spending the money to have it repaired. hwh can repair it for a lot less than a new one.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thank everyone for all the help. Turns out it was the cable connection to the touch panel. All the stress placed on it because of the sliding door caused the problem.
pittso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I have a different problem with my HWH control panel. Two wires from the small white circuit board connector have come loose. How do I reconnect these wires.

Thanks, Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0788.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	60025  
Don & Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

For those that don't remember it, a few years ago there was a thread on HWH 625 control box problems. It contained reference to an emergency procedure to bypass the HWH control box and turn on the hydraulic pump in order to bring in your slides in the event of a control box failure. I once had this failure myself. In one post Wayne R told about having built a box that he could use to operate the jack system in the event of a control box failure.

Wayne was kind enough to send me his schematic and his instructions on building the bypass box. I took the opportunity to build a similar box, and completed it this week. The parts are pretty cheap, with the exception of the 12 pin connector needed to mate with the HWH wiring harness. I purchased the Deutsch connector from Batts Racing as a DT04-12P harness assembly, pre-wired with color coded wiring.

Now that I have the box ready and carry it with me, I feel comfortable that in the event of another HWH control box failure or a control panel failure like mentioned in this thread, I can continue to operate my jacks and slides without having to interrupt a trip.

As this thread shows, a number of us have issues from time to time with the HWH control panel and with the control box. If you are a DIY type who likes to be prepared, you might want to consider building a box like this one for use in case of emergencies. I will be very happy if I never have to actually use mine!!

This box will not operate the slides or jacks in the event of failure in the solenoid valves that actually operate the jacks or slides. To operate the slides you still need the use of the switches inside the coach. If your electrical failure is in this area, the control box bypass won't help. But it will operate the jacks manually if the jack control panel inside the coach fails.

Many thanks for Wayne R for his help in this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00500.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	62518  
Old 05-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #13

Don & Ro pull the pins out of the plug and radio shack may have new pins to reinstall the wires

its a stander type plug
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #14

Don&Ro- if Radio Shack doesn't have the pins, NAPA or Auto zone might. Take the plug & pins with you.

Tags
hwh, panel