Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1

HWH Help

I have the HWH 610 system on my coach. Yesterday, I extended the generator slide, no problem. Today, when I tried to retract it, the pump won't run.

The panel lights up. When I put the rocker switch for the gen slide to the on position, the green indicator on the switch lights. When I push retract nothing happens.

The 40 amp and 15 amp inline fuses at the relays are good. I have 13.4 volts at the relays.

Any ideas out there?

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

Can anyone tell me where the control box is located?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
It can be in different possible locations. Mine is under the dash by first removing the panel in front of the passenger seat. You may have to pull the side panel of the console also if you're trying to work on it. It looks like 2 - metal boxes attached to each other and then held in place by a velcro strap.

Be careful with pulling on any wiring harness that feed the console. You'd be surprised how things come loose even though you've been traveling in a "rolling earthquake".
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Koop, you WILL need to pull the side cover now that I recall my previous "HWH fun". Those metal system boxes are in the middle behind the firewall so just removing the cover in front of the passenger seat does not allow access.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

Thanks Bob.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Koop, here are the most probable problems associated with the generator slide as I understand you're description.

I believe you said that the console panel does light and stays lit when using the rocker switch. If not, there's a 15 amp fuse in front of the passenger seat that can blow and it powers the console panel plus rocker switches If it blows the problem is most likely a bad generator relay on the HWH pump motor (just experienced this first hand!).

The rocker switch applies battery to the generator relay on the HWH pump motor which in turn activates the pump motor. Have you tried any other slides to see if the pump motor runs in those operations? If not, then the motor is probably bad. You would need to test it using a voltmeter to measure voltage on the RED cable feeding the pump motor. Activating a slide (such as the generator slide) should cause atleast 12V to register on the meter. If it does then the motor is bad which is one of the most common problems with HWH. (I'm on my 3rd motor!)

If you don't register atleast 12V on the RED cable feeding the pump motor, then the generator relay is probably bad. The generator relay is 1 of the 2 relays strapped to the pump motor as you face it. Mine was on the right closer to the pump housing but you can tell by following the RED cable on the relay. It should go directly to the motor.

If you need more direct help in diagnosing the problem, send me a PM with contact information.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

Thanks again Bob. I'll be working on it in the morning.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

The generator slide does not go through the control box. This happened to me and it was a bad rocker switch.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #9

I diagnosed a bad rocker switch on an 08; later rigs have electric gen slide but same Carling rocker switch.

IIRC from Bob's earlier spelunking in the HWH compartment, there are 3 relays on the 03's, the "Main," "Pump," and "Gen." Could be Pump or Gen relay.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #10

I thought I found the problem when I found a loose ground on the control box. No such luck.

Following the HWH troubleshooting guide, it points to a bad pump motor.

I hope we can get someone out here. We're supposed to move on Wednesday.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #11

Ref: 2002 Alpine FDDS

HWH 610 Series.....my manual references AP20214 on cover. No P/N for motor.

Koop, I am in a similar situation, dead motor. I am working with a repair facility who has been trying to get HWH to confirm which motor to make the repair. HWH has not been very responsive.

Does your HWH manual reference the same AP number? I have noticed the 610 series manuals have different AP numbers? If you find out the motor number, please post.

Anyone know the P/N for the motor? I cannot find a label on the assembly with any P/N reference.

Thanks,

Bernie
Pearland, Tx (stuck in Manistee, Mi)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Koop ... the HWH responsiveness is HORRIBLE!!! They will call you eventually. Bernie is correct in that the AP number on top of the pump housing and considered the main assembly number used by HWH to reference associated parts such as the pump motor. My assembly number is AP24241 which equates to a pump motor AP21692. If your assembly number is the same then you now have the pump P/N.

The HWH website provides a list of certified HWH service locations and typically they represent the best potential for having one in their stock. Otherwise, you'll have to order one directly and pay to expedite it if necessary.

BTW, this is why I was carrying a spare pump motor. I used my spare motor on our NAPA trip so I'll need to acquire another one. Some people carry spare solenoids (2 - kinds).
Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #13

My assembly number is AP 21692. The corresponding motor is RAP 90311. I'm hoping to get one sent overnight today. A mobile RV tech (sent by Coach - Net) confirmed my diagnosis of a bad motor.

The relay clicks, battery voltage is delivered to the motor, but it doesn't run.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Koop, sorry for getting the AP numbers backwards but it appears you got the right motor. I'd also forgotten that HWH changed many of their part numbers to "RAP" numbers. FWIW there is a parts catalog online that identifies the AP21692 assembly as being "Obsolete" but provides the new part numbers including the RAP Motor Kit.

I'm pretty sure you'll receive a new "Pump Relay" as part of the kit but it can be used for the generator relay as well. The relay will probably come in handy one day! In fact, the same relay could be used as a "Starter Solenoid" relay in an emergency. I would suggest carrying a spare relay one way or the other. FYI, Engineer Mike has previousdly identified a Cole Hersee 24059 relay as a good replacement for as low as $8.78 from Amazon. Cheap insurance!!!

Tags
hwh