Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #1

I have had several leaks from various hydraulic fittings on our coach. Each one of the leaks occured where the hose enters the fitting, thus tightening is not the answer. My RV tech called HWH and tried to purchase the correct sized die and a box of fittings to make repairs. HWH told hiom that they would not sell fittings or the die, that he would have to purchase the entire hose. This hose runs from the cylinder in the battery compartment back to the manifold, about twenty-five feet up through the floor, over the wheel, back through the floor, into the basement, etc. I can purchase the fitting locally, but the die appears to be unavailable. The hose is one of the smaller (1/8")? ones and I think that I may have as many as fourteen fittings on this unit. Anyone know where these dies can be located?

Dave&Kacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #2

I have had several leaks from various hydraulic fittings on our coach. Each one of the leaks occured where the hose enters the fitting, thus tightening is not the answer. My RV tech called HWH and tried to purchase the correct sized die and a box of fittings to make repairs. HWH told hiom that they would not sell fittings or the die, that he would have to purchase the entire hose. This hose runs from the cylinder in the battery compartment back to the manifold, about twenty-five feet up through the floor, over the wheel, back through the floor, into the basement, etc. I can purchase the fitting locally, but the die appears to be unavailable. The hose is one of the smaller (1/8")? ones and I think that I may have as many as fourteen fittings on this unit. Anyone know where these dies can be located?

Dave&Kacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #3

If your hyd lines are the same as mine they are PARFLEX PDH-2, 6000 PSI MAX WORKING PRESSURE, 1/8, 0.140" I.D., 0.34" O.D., 24,000 MIN BURST PRESSURE, 1/2" MIN BEND RADIUS, USE SERIES 58 CRIMP FITTINGS, -40 TO 212 DEG TEMP RANGE MFG IS PARKER HANNIFIN CORP
PARKER HANNIFIN CORP is a well known mfg of hyd & pneumatic devices & componets. Find a local Parker Hannifin distributor and see if they can supply the proper hose fittings, dies and crimping equipment.
By the way, I don't believe that 1/2" MIN BEND RADIUS, does not sound reasonable, must be a mistake or something counter intuitive.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
In one year I have had three hose failures. I should say fitting failure because in all cases the hose pulled out of the fitting. Don't even bother getting the hose from HWH. I was able to have a local hose shop make up the hose all new and guarenteed not to fail for less than the HWH hose and a lot faster. The replacement hose is 1/4" and the fittings are much heavier. You don't need to remove the old hose, the length is the last digits on the part number label.
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about yr HWH hose problem--circa 2003 was a very bad year for HWH hoses. Over time, I have replaced all of the small dia HWH hoses on my 2003. Initially, HWH was pretty good about paying for both the new hoses and the labor to replace them but I am sure that commitment is long gone.

Not sure if the problem in 2003 was with the hose/connector materials or the crimping process. Therefore, I am not sure crimping new connectors on old hoses is the answer. I also appreciate the "pain" involved to run new hoses. The compartment housing the HWH pump is nearly impossible to work in. Worse yet, the hoses that connect to the bed slide are buried in the HWH ram assembly under the bed--the effort required to take apart the slide and re-do these hoses is enormous.

PS--you can tell if the bed slide hoses are leaking by crawling under the MH. The heat vent hose comes thru the floor right by the HWH hose connections--lots of new oil on the outside of the heater vent hose tells the story.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote