Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #1

Were is the reservoir for a 1999 alpine coach's HWH system located? I have looked around and not only haven't I found that reservoir, but also am looking for the hydraulic system charged accumulator.
Thanks
Dave
Dave & Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

Were is the reservoir for a 1999 alpine coach's HWH system located? I have looked around and not only haven't I found that reservoir, but also am looking for the hydraulic system charged accumulator.
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Dave & Colleen:

I would like to welcome you to the IRV2 form. From the picture you have a mid door Alpine. The HWH reservoir is located behind a small door just forward of your main entry door and to the rear of the front tire. If you unlock & open the door you will see the HWH reservoir and pump. The Key should be the same one you use on the bay doors.

I hope you join us at an ACA Rally or an Alpine Regional Rally in your area.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #4

Thanks Dave
I found that but, still can't find the breahter/fill to that reservoir. Do they really expect one to get in that little tight area to add oil?
yeah just purchased it two months ago and this weekend will be our second outing. This was big step from a tent trailer to a coach. Thanks
Dave
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Dave and Colleen:

I've a '99 myself and know what you mean. I've looked where Dave F. indicates and did not see any type of a cap or filler neck. I could not swear it is not there, but I didn't see it. This is clearly where the controls are though. Also, on mine, the key to the panel is different from the key that opens the bays. The key is about 3/4 of the length of the bay key. Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Dave, Colleen & Jeff, Cheryl:

Check the hydraulic fluid with all the jacks in the up position and the slides in. To fill or check the level in the HWH reservoir remove (Unscrew) the chrome breather which has a dip stick attached to it and fill through the hole. When I have to add fluid I use Dexron III Transmission Fluid or the HWH Fluid. I have a cap with a plastic hose the fits on the plastic bottle and I just squeeze the bottle and the fluid goes right in with out spilling.

The cap with attached hose should be available at most auto parts stores.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #7

I, also, cannot find a reservoir in the Solenoid service area behind the small door that requires a different key.
Is it possible Alpine/WRV plumbed the HWH system to use fluid from the large reservoir at the rear of the Coach?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #8

Call me dense. I went looking for the reservoir and found it behind the valve-block by feeling around. I'll have to find a cap/hose combo but, fortunately, the level is fine now.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #9

Thanks, everyone I used a mirror to see inside, behind and down to a second level top. Wow! I'm going to paste 3"¯ convex mirror on the side wall and paint that little cap yellow.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Dave F and Bob M.,

Thank you for the clarification. I've looked in that spot and didn't see a darn thing. The moral: Look Harder!! I had come to the conclusion that the pump was attached in some way to the large reservior in the engine compartment. Wrong conclusion! Facts win out over reasoning every time.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:58 AM   #11

Well, I figured out a way to get fluid into it. But, only having 2 hands, it's a bit difficult
(I have a 60cc syringe with a length of tube on it that will reach quite nicely).
Next problem: how to hold the mirror, flashlight, guide the tube into the reservoir and actuate the syringe at the same time.
Solution:
Step 1:
Buy a small articulated mirror on a wand (I had one); tape a "Penlight" onto the wand so it shines on the mirror (I had one of those too). Angle the mirror on the wand to approx. 45 degrees so it reflects light into the reservoir's tiny opening.
Step 2:
Use the mirror/light combo to remove the cap and clean around the opening (you DON'T want the crud in the reservoir).
Step 3:
Velcro the barrel of the syringe to the inside of the access door and use the other hand to guide the fill tube and then actuate the syringe.

If you need more than 60cc's, you'll have to re-fill the syringe and start all over.

It works and can also be used to replenish the Brake fluid (after flushing the syringe and tube).

BTW, the large reservoir at the rear of our 1999 Coach only serves the cooling fan, power steering and brakes.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #12

Dave Fernandez wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a cap with a plastic hose the fits on the plastic bottle and I just squeeze the bottle and the fluid goes right in with out spilling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get (or did you make?) the cap with the plastic hose. On the 2005 Alpine the access to the fill opening is equally as inacessible. I've tried several things but haven't found anything I'm really happy with. Your solution sounds great.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #13

Bob
Thaks. You lost me after the fan(I got that)even the pwr steering. Got lost at the brakes. Where does the hydraulic 3,000 psi integrate with the brakes?.... I still need to track down each sysstem in a hand over hand tracing.
Thanks so musch as there's a lot to discover.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #14

Evidently it's an oil over oil system. The hydraulic system is what actuates the Master Cylinder to supply adequate pressure to the Calipers. Also, when you step on the Brake pedal with the engine off, you'll feel a pulsing in the pedal. That's the redundant booster needed to operate the Brakes effectively if the engine stalls while driving.

As these beasts have Disk brakes and require a bit more pedal pressure than does a car with power Drum type Brakes, can you imagine the leg muscles that would be required to actuate the Brakes without the hydraulic system?

Drum Brakes require less pressure to operate effectively than do disk Brakes (no mechanical "Servo" assist on Disks like the leading shoe on Drums).

Why Hydraulic?
Turbo-charged Diesels are not able to supply the negative pressure (Vacuum) needed to operate an automotive type booster.

That's the best I can do on this topic without getting really technical (or making myself sound like an idiot).