Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

HWH jack fails to remain extended

The right rear jack on my 1999 36’ Alpine Coach will not remain extended. It extends as expected, but then slowly retracts on its own. There are no external leaks. Looking at the HWH schematic (MP65.45.25) for the HWH 610 leveling system, it appears to me that the only possible cause for this is the RR solenoid valve failing to close fully. Before I order a new or rebuilt valve and remove the existing solenoid, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and fixed it with a new solenoid valve. Any other thoughts or advice will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks….. Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

IIWMI'D extend all jacks then release them manually one at a time using the T-handles to ascertain which valve goes to each Jack. Then remove the offending valve. See if you can adjust the noise piece of the valve with the needle hole in it to seat properly with the needle. The nose piece tightens in place with a ss panel nut. Could be the nose piece came loose & isn't seating or there is a piece of debris in the needle hole.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #3

I agree that the problem is probably a leaking solenoid valve if you have no visible leaks.
The right rear valve is on the back of the manifold closest to the front of the coach. I have cut an access panel behind the front wheel so I can get to these. Not sure how you can remove one without this access.
FYI. Counting from the front of the coach the solenoid valves are in this order: RR, RF, LF, LR, Engine door.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

I think you can do more extensive work on the parts of the manifold if you take out one bolt from the base of the manifold & loosen the other so the manifold can be rotated.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #5

You can take out both bolts that hold the base and it still doesn't give you much more access. It helps with the motor but not much with all the solenoids at the back.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #6

Mike, John - Thanks for the great information. I will follow your advice.

I always found it nearly impossible to top-off the hydraulic fluid without spilling some. The access door will make it a lot easier to check/fill the fluid, as well as gain access to the components on that side of the pump.

By the way, another way I found to identify the function of each solenoid is to disconnect the electrical connections one at a time and see which function stops working.

Thanks, Dave
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Question Access

John, do you have any pictures of the access that you made to the "box" I have a fluid leak somewhere in there and I can't see anything, I used my camera to try and take pictures of the back, so far I can't find what's leaking, I can see the evidence and now have had fluid on the pad beneath the compartment. My Alpine is the same as yours. Sure would like to see pictures of that and how you repair the cutout for removing the slide cylinder.

Thanks!

Ben
hunter27h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

When I had my 2000 Alpine Coach, I had the right rear jack that would slowly leak. It made like a popping, cracking noise when extended. You could actually see it retract a little. After talking to HWH, they determined it was a leaking jack. There was no external leaks, just internally. I replaced the jack and had no more problems.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #9

Curious--where does the fluid from an "internal" jack leak go to--jack is a single direction ram???
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter27h View Post
John, do you have any pictures of the access that you made to the "box" I have a fluid leak somewhere in there and I can't see anything, I used my camera to try and take pictures of the back, so far I can't find what's leaking, I can see the evidence and now have had fluid on the pad beneath the compartment. My Alpine is the same as yours. Sure would like to see pictures of that and how you repair the cutout for removing the slide cylinder.

Thanks!

Ben
I just put a couple of pictures in the other thread.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #11

To verify, you could switch the two rear solenoids.
If then the other side leaks down, you know it's the solenoid.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
To verify, you could switch the two rear solenoids.
If then the other side leaks down, you know it's the solenoid.
Just don't press the auto-level button.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #13

I would guess my jack leak was in the piston seals.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Commercial Member

i would replace the solenoid valve. thats the cause.
a one direction cylinder can not have an internal link. there is only one chamber for the fluid. the fluid pressure is maintained between the seal on the top end of the cylinder rod and the needle valve. you got faulty information. btw i work for hwh.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh