Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

HWH jack problem

My leveling system works as it should, but upon retraction, my left rear jack comes up painfully slowly. I have had numerous discussions with a tech at HWH, (very professional, and long-suffering) and have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the hydraulic hose is obstructed somehow. I have conducted all suggested tests, and keep coming back to this. My question is, how hard is it going to be to get this long-ass hose out, and a new one in? This is an '07 36FDDS, had it for a year, and am slowly working all the previous owners problems out myself. Dudley
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

Dudley,

I assume you have installed the replacement/stronger return springs???
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #3

Dont know that the newer coaches didnt already come with the "new and improved" springs. In total deference to the HWH tech--I think it unlikely "the hose[s] is/are plugged" Engine heat and fluid expansion is often an issue with the rear jacks....have you replaced the solenoid[s] for that/those jacks? On occasion, the needle valves in solenoids do get plugged...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

You may not have to completely pull the hose just loosen it at both ends and try to do a flow test on it if it flows freely then you might have some trash in the orifice of the jack piston. Maybe that will help some....
GregNMiaFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

I periodically spray a little WD40 on mine. Probably not your problem but works for me. Cheap, easy. fast.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Before pulling any hose, spray the offending jack with WD-40 and see if it retracts normally. I replaced my springs and still had problems, now I use WD-40 every other month and have no problems. The jacks are lubricated with the HWH fluid when they are retracted, adding the WD-40 "helps things along. I am not saying that is your problem, but it is a EASY fix, if doesn't work you have only lost about 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

I'll 3rd or 4th the its-not-the-hose conclusion. I'd say its ram dirt & corrosion that can be cleaned by WD40 or tranny fluid, be sure to wipe fully clean & dry after; or dirt in the seal creating friction which can sometimes be cleaned out by WD40 sprayed up into seal & using a small pointed scraper to gingerly scrape the junk out; or bent jack (sorry, gotta replace the jack or do what follows).
If you do the lube/dry & no joy (costs almost nothing to try except a sore neck), you could add helper springs like JShively suggests in post# 14 on this thread. There is a thread here someplace w/photos, but its basically a helper spring inside the HWH spring.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

I think my sticky jack problem is fixed.

Thanks to all who replied... This one jack has caused me problems ever since we bought the coach. As I have said, I talked to the HWH tech, and we walked thru the problem tree in the service manual. Nowhere was there made mention of a possible dry or binding wiper seal at the bottom end of the jack cylinder. Why look for an easy answer when there are so many complex possibilities? Anyway, I tried what many of you suggested, and sprayed the heck out of the shaft and seal area with some WD40 type penetrating oil, and what do you know? That shaft sucked up quicker than what would happen if you spilled a glass of ice water down in your tighty whiteys!
Now the only problem I haven't solved, is what's causing my main awning to roll up so slowly. It seems to bind part way up, and will almost stop, then will reluctantly finish rolling up. Don't they have some kind of a helper spring that's supposed to help them roll up, in addition to the motor? Thanks all, Dudley
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
HWH jack problem

One solution I have heard, although not tried, is to get one of the "extend your reach" devices (you know the ones that are used to grip boxes on high shelves) place a micro fiber towel in the jaws so you can get all the way around the jack, spray it with WD-40 and use it to wipe all 4 jacks before you retract them. Either by hand, or the device, wipe the shiny portion of your jacks periodically and all will be well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Commercial Member

dudley, it most likely the cylinder, not the hose. i don't ever remember having to
replace a clogged or collapsed hose. the cylinder will eventually have to be replaced. im glad the wd40 worked for you. i would continue to do that until it wont work anymore.
as for the awning, the screw mechanism and the spring need lubrication.
drdave had the right idea. if you need further info, on the hwh system, my cell is 602-549-3638.
i do work for hwh. i live in arizona so we are on pacific time. please feel free to call me anytime. paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

Dudley; thanks for posting that you've got things working as far as your HWH system problem is concerned.
As for the second problem , I'd say you will get more views and answers, if you start an new thread, with your awning brand name , asking for possible solutions , as many members don't read every post in a thread before responding.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #12

Engineer Mike "If you do the lube/dry & no joy (costs almost nothing to try except a sore neck), you could add helper springs like JShively suggests in post# 14 on this thread. There is a thread here someplace w/photos, but its basically a helper spring inside the HWH spring."

I did the hose switch on the solenoid to rule out the solenoid, and cleaned and sprayed WD40. no help. Bought helper springs and installed. end of the problem! Those rams do not have a very smooth surface and I am reasonably certain that polishing the rams with the cylinders removed would also work.

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh