Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Jack Spring Removal / Install

I am looking for a good procedure to removed and install HWH Jack springs. Other than push, pull & grunt.
Thanks
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

Somewhat primitive but it worked for me.

My springs were so weak it was easy to just pull them down and off by hand. You can try using the claw of a hammer to pull the landing pad off the jack and then it will be easy to remove the springs.

To install I hooked one end of the spring to the base plate of the toad and a light rope thru the other end of the spring and looped the rope over a convenient post ( I used the pedestal !) ..back the car up about 6 inches and this will spread the springs slightly and put clothe pin halves into the springs to expand them to a length that will allow you to put them back on. Drive car forward to release the springs and put them back on. Lower the jacks about half way to allow the clothe pins to drop out....and there you are.

BTW if you need to buy new springs either order them from HWH and pay the shipping or you can try CW and they may have them in stock at a reasonable price. Whatever you do, DON'T order them from an RV dealer. When I needed mine I tried Poulsbo RV in Mt Vernon WA and they wanted about 80$ each spring. HWH was 26$ for 2 springs.

Geoff
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is how I replaced my springs.

I purchased some wooden clothes pins and took them apart. The idea is to use them as wedges.

Extend the jacks....put the wedges evenly in the springs all the way up on both sides. Might have to use 20 or more wedges.

Re-track the jack all the way up and remove the springs since they will be loose.

To re-install. Pound the wedges gently into the springs being careful not to warp the spring.

Connect one spring to the baseplate and spring holder.

Take a small hydraulic jack or tire jack from DWs car and jack up the other side of the baseplate to make the distance from the baseplate to spring hole closer

Connect the other spring.

Extend the HWH jacks and remove the wedges.

Finished.

Hope you get the idea.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Similar to Greystroke, but I used those wedges you get at Home Depot. Also when installing the new springs I stretched them by attaching one end to my car and the other end to a tree, and then installed the wedges.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I just did this a week ago. I used washers and bent the new spring one direction placing washer in each gap about 2/3rds of the way up then bent spring the other way placing washers in the gaps on that side. This extended the spring enough to allow me to attach the plate then extend the jack to release the washers. No trees or cars required.

2002 Alpine Coach 34 FDDS
Wally & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #6

Hi Wally

I tried this originally and when I got close to expanding the spring enough several of the washers would fall out either on the ground or inside the coils. The paint on the new coils would make the coils stick together and then when the coils separated with more bending the washers started falling out. Took a little longer to set up with the car post/tree and pins but it wen much more smoothly for me.

Geoff
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Geoff
I understand, it did take a little patience. More then one way to skin a cat. My comment about the car & tree is just my sense of humor, no offense intended.

2002 Alpine Coach 34 FDDS
Wally & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #8

Hi Wally

Non taken The pins post and pull was my third try. Before that I tried push pull grunt bang (that was my chin getting whacked by the spring!) Then I tried the washers which for me was the wrong way and then finally the 3rd option. By then my patience was sorely tried

Geoff
Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
While I was at Redmond I had HWH replace all the springs on my jacks. The tech had a 3' long piece of square steel with a hook about 1' from the end that he placed against the frame. It gave him the leverage to expand both the old and new springs by hooking them. He swapped all 8 in under 20 minutes! Someone needs to patent that tool!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Commercial Member

hi dave, that was me. (paul maddox) if you are going to do a lot of springs. that is the way to go.
i invented that when i removed one finger with a table saw and had a rally at minot nd three weeks later.
the clothers pin or the washer method works great, and doesnt require a lot of investment.
if you want a description of my installatio tool, email me at pfmaddox@att.net
or call me at 602-549-3638. i am availble for diagnostics anytime.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #11

TJ

After all this advice have you been able to change your springs and if so what method did you use!!

Geoff
Old 10-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
It raining and I have yet to attempt the project. But I am praying. I'll post my results.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Could you do the same and clip a couple of coil together to increase the strength of the springs? Just a thought, I might try it a see I have a couple of weak springs.
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Slow Jack Retraction Fix

2005 Alpine Coach 36FDDS
OK -- Here it is. I did it & it works. HWH Slow Jack Retraction Fix

My driver’s side rear jack would not retract without using a 5’ 2x4 over a 4x4 block as a fulcrum to pry it up. How to fix this problem was someone else’s (there’s a post about it somewhere) idea so I thought I would give it a try. Believe me, it was very trying, but it worked great. I purchased helper springs (you will need two for each jack you intend to fix) from Century Spring Corp. 800-237-5225 Part Number 5582 for $11.51 each plus shipping of $9.64. These springs will fit INSIDE the HWH springs and will add additional force to retract the HWH jack. I posted “HWH Jack Spring Removal / Install” but I didn’t get any real useable information. So here is how I did it. See photos. I made a gadget from an old sign post (you could use a 2x4 - I don’t know if it would break but a lot of force is required) and I put eye bolts in it (one eye bolt on each side because you cannot remove the gadget until all springs are hooked up) to redirect the pulling the spring down with the come along. I put the gadget under my floor jack and jacked the HWH Jack Foot firmly in place (see photo). I put the new spring INTO the old HWH spring and used a small electric tie to hold both top spring ends together. Both spring ends should face the same direction so as it will be easy to hook them into the top bracket. Starting with the one closest to the tire (this one is the hardest to do) hook both springs into the top bracket. I used a s small electric tie to hold both top spring ends together. Then I used the 1/8” cable (I tied the cable ends into loops) and I reached the cable into the HWH Jack and hooked the new small spring end and ran the cable through the eye bolt on the gadget and hooked the other end to the come along. I hooked the other end of the come along on the boat trailer of the guy parked next to me – you’ll have to figure out where to hook yours, but it needs to be real solid as a lot of force is used to pull the new spring down. Now I used a vice grip to twist and hook the new spring into the HWH Jack Foot bracket hole. Removing the cable was a problem – You will most probable need four cables (one for each spring). I used only two and have to untie the cable loops (not easy). Using four cables and just cutting it off would be much easier. Now that you have the small new sprint hooked up you need to hook up the large HWH spring the same way – loop the spring end with a cable through the gadget and stretch it down with the come along. Again, a vice grip and a large screw driver was needed to get the spring end into the HWH Jack Foot bracket hole. Here the spring ends will be facing different directions due to the way the springs were made. See photo. Repeat all the above for the second but remember – - DO NOT REMOVE THE FLOOR JACK - before installing the second spring. If you do the whole foot will slip and you will be starting over. I have included photos to show how I got the springs hooked up. Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gadgets_1.pdf (699.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: pdf Gadgets_2.pdf (582.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: pdf HWH Jack_1.pdf (606.0 KB, 197 views)
File Type: pdf HWH Jack_2.pdf (512.6 KB, 159 views)

Tags
hwh, install, removal