Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #1

I've got a love-hate relationship with my jacks. They seem to work just fine at times and then, all of a sudden, one or more wont retract. Checked out at the factory last summer, and at other service facilities and, each time, nothing is found wrong with them.
2 weeks ago I had to up anchor to go get some of that expensive go-juice to keep the Hydro Hot going. One jack wouldn't budge upward even when I went under and tried to pry it up with my hand and some wood blocks. Just around the corner to the truck stop so I let it buzz.
Came back and decided to block the jacks which I do sometimes especially when the park requires it. 2 stacked 2x6's. Today, slides in, jacks up - and in the quickest time ever!!!
So, do they tend to work better when they are not at their extremes?? Anyone with experience or thoughts on the matter.
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

I've got a love-hate relationship with my jacks. They seem to work just fine at times and then, all of a sudden, one or more wont retract. Checked out at the factory last summer, and at other service facilities and, each time, nothing is found wrong with them.
2 weeks ago I had to up anchor to go get some of that expensive go-juice to keep the Hydro Hot going. One jack wouldn't budge upward even when I went under and tried to pry it up with my hand and some wood blocks. Just around the corner to the truck stop so I let it buzz.
Came back and decided to block the jacks which I do sometimes especially when the park requires it. 2 stacked 2x6's. Today, slides in, jacks up - and in the quickest time ever!!!
So, do they tend to work better when they are not at their extremes?? Anyone with experience or thoughts on the matter.
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to see someone else the same feelings I do about my jacks. I had the RR jack get slower and slower on retract. Then it spread to the LR. Started researching and saw where these are furthest from the pump and take the longest. Then they wouldn't clear the alarm point without being pushed up the last four inches or so. Then the problem spread to the front. Took it into local rv shop expecting major jack or at least hydraulic problems. After paying $89 was told nothing could be found other then they were dirty. Cleaned and all 4 up in 2.5 minutes. Was also told this was a routine maintenance thing and might have to be done once a year. Rears are the worst cause they get the most road crud. Now I wipe them down with tranny fluid and clean the O rings every so often. They're starting to slow again with RR so it is time to do it again. You might want to try that.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have found that if I wipe down the jacks with a TriFlo type product (actually called Zep 45 which is a light lube product with Teflon) every 60 days or so the slow retract problem goes away. It seem to make a huge difference in retraction time. I spray a small amount on the jack and then wipe it virtually dry so as to not attract dirt and dust.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #5

Jerry, The Zep 45 is a great products, as a matter of fact all of the Zep products are good. Keeping the jack piston clean w/ a slight amount of lubricant makes a big difference. Also HWH has stronger springs, at least they did for mine which made a tremendous difference. They had me time my return in and they indicated they were to slow and sent me a new set of springs.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #6

I have had the problem with the rear jacks retracting slowly; then one would not go all the way back in without levering it up. I found that I was a bit low on transmission fluid in the HWH reservoir. I added fluid and all is good. This has happened a couple times over the years. Maybe this is your problem.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Dave:

When one of my jacks did not retract I had to have it replaced and I was told that the seals in side the jack were probably defective and preventing the jack from retracting. The problem was intermittent until just before a long trip.

Since the jack was replaced the problem has not returned.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
As usual, this posting is timely. I've the same problem with the LR. It always needs pried up into position and is also the one that sets off the alarm when driving down the highway.

At FMCA I asked the HWH techs on site and they said the jacks required no maintenance, but a sales rep suggested cleaning them only. Both said lubricants would cause build-up.

However, based on my previous experience with towbars and their pistons, I think I'll clean the jacks with Voom and then lube them with the Roadmaster lube (non-petroleum) and then wipe them dry.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #9

OK you ZEP 45 folks, where do you find it?? I tried Home Depot and nothing doing. Is online the only way (dieselmanor)?
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #10

The springs on our 2006 were always so slow to retract that I once drove over 100 miles listening to the d--- alarm squawking before I finally gave up and pulled the scissor jack out of my tow to get the left rear up that last inch.

After several calls to HWH they sent 7 (yep seven) new springs to replace the 8 originals springs which were already (supposedly) the lastest version.

Now the problem is reduced to one jack - and it's not the jack with only one new spring.

I hate to admit it but I think Jerry is right. A periodic cleaning and a little dry lube is the ONLY real fix!

Some of the HWH, and other manufacturer's jacks, power up and down. The jacks on our coaches only power down and spring retract, "if" the solenoid valves are opening correctly and "if" the springs are strong enough, and "if" the shaft isn't bent and "if" it's not too cold and "if" there isn't too much resistance due to a ltttle road grime on the shaft.....

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
To order Zep Stuff call 1-877-428-9937. There is a minimum order as this an industrial supply company. However, they make great industrial chemicals like Zep 45
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #12

Found ZEP 45 at a local truck parts store in Medford, OR.
Thanks all...
Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #13

C&H - I first encountered the HWH jack retraction problem about 14 years ago and at that time started wiping down the shafts with hydraulic fluid periodically. Have never had the problem since and never a leak. I just put a little oil on a clean cloth and wipe the jacks over, using a clean spot on the rag when necessary.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #14

I carry a stardard garden shovel to help the jack re-tract when needed just stick it under and pry it up the other method is to use your air suspenion and few 2x4's as needed raise the coach up put 2x4's under stuck jack then let the air out